Worth Keeping Ohtani?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    In 2017 in Japan, he had five starts at pitcher (due to injury, again) and 60 (at least) games at DH. Whatever he was last year, he should be this year.
    Great point.

Comment

I have to admit, I've always looked at him as a pitcher first, and have focused on stats and video of him as such. That is why I was down on him in this thread, because any other pitcher out with TJ surgery this year would not be someone I'd be interested in. However, now that I've looked more closely at Ohtani the hitter, man, he may be better in that role than he is on the mound. What a beast he was last year. He passes the eye test too. I retract my previous advice. Keep this dude. Even if he never pitches again, he will be worth it.

Comment

In weekly leagues, he is probably more valuable if he never pitches again. When he does both, his value in weekly leagues where you have to choose is much weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          In weekly leagues, he is probably more valuable if he never pitches again. When he does both, his value in weekly leagues where you have to choose is much weaker.
          Yeah, I'm in a weekly league and that is part of the reason why I devalue him. But looking more closely at him as a hitter--even when he comes back as a pitcher, I think the right play in a weekly league would be to start him as a hitter in single start weeks, and only as a pitcher in two start weeks, or very plum pitching match ups. I'm still shocked at how good he looks as a hitter. He really is an amazing two way player.

Comment

Working...
          X