Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion made to change our dynasty league from 2 Catchers to 1 (Frustrating)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
    I mainly just looked at top tier guys. When adding the keeper values there is a big change. Our league tends to pay and extend big on top guys. Even just a few dollars affects the value and decisions that were made years prior.

The players who's value go lower isn't the part that is affected and is the problem. They wouldn't have been kept so they will go in the new years auction at the proper value if the new format is implemented. It is the keepers and high end talent pool that are affected.
    Not looking to argue, but even the top guys only go up $1, depends on round up. The extra budget isn't allocated with the same amount to every player, the top guys get more. So maybe one guy goes from $44.71 to 45.21 and he stays $45 while another goes 44.11 to 44.61 so he goes from $44 to $45.

Further down, even less (20 cents, 30 cents) is added to every player, not enough to flip into the next number.

That is, the amount of projected earnings is essentially the same with 2C and 1C. Either way, the expected earnings of Mike Trout is the same.

What leagues decide to pay is different, but the baseline in both formats are virtually identical.
    Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
      That’s why we went to the UT spot Batter or P. You can play the speed guy, power guy, or play an extra Pitcher. To me it adds options.
      UT in place of 2nd catcher is better than just removing a player from our roster. For sure. I don't like idea of playing an extra pircher. I see what you mean about extra options but think i prefer equal postional requirements in terms of total hitter and pitchers

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
        Not looking to argue, but even the top guys only go up $1, depends on round up. The extra budget isn't allocated with the same amount to every player, the top guys get more. So maybe one guy goes from $44.71 to 45.21 and he stays $45 while another goes 44.11 to 44.61 so he goes from $44 to $45.

Further down, even less (20 cents, 30 cents) is added to every player, not enough to flip into the next number.

That is, the amount of projected earnings is essentially the same with 2C and 1C. Either way, the expected earnings of Mike Trout is the same.

What leagues decide to pay is different, but the baseline in both formats are virtually identical.
        Thanks for info. I understand what you are saying. I forsee larger adjustments on what league will pay for certain top end guys when removing a player spot. Maybe I am wrong. I know I will change my spending. My extensions and trades from years prior would have been different.

Comment

I forsee larger adjustments on what league will pay for certain top end guys when removing a player spot. Maybe I am wrong.
          Don't conflate value with price. If other participants in your league are overpaying, it doesn't change the value of the player, it just moves around the prices. Actually that scenario is beneficial to you, it means you should expect to save $ elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Don't conflate value with price. If other participants in your league are overpaying, it doesn't change the value of the player, it just moves around the prices. Actually that scenario is beneficial to you, it means you should expect to save $ elsewhere.
            Understood. I do appreciate when that happens.

Even if value change is minimal I still don't like the idea of changing the roster settings for the reason it is thin. There have been years when 2b was super thin and now that saves, & sb's are difficult to come by too doesn't mean we should start changing league settings. We all have the same oppurtunities.

Comment

There are no bargains in auction formats. We all overpay by $1 what the rest of our league is willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                There are no bargains in auction formats. We all overpay by $1 what the rest of our league is willing to pay.
                That's not true at all. Teams run out of money or plan to allocate it elsewhere and there are bargains every single year as the end of the auction approaches. Auction dynamics cause overpriced players but for every overpriced player there's also an underpriced player.

Comment

That's not true at all. Teams run out of money or plan to allocate it elsewhere and there are bargains every single year as the end of the auction approaches. Auction dynamics cause overpriced players but for every overpriced player there's also an underpriced player.
                  Eh, that sounds more like bad allocation of resources.

What is the definition for overpriced or underpriced? We get to find that out after the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Eh, that sounds more like bad allocation of resources.

What is the definition for overpriced or underpriced? We get to find that out after the auction.
                    Weird take - there are "bargains" every single year in auction leagues. Otherwise there would not ever be good keeper values. I know you have been in enough auctions to see that.

Comment

UT in place of 2nd catcher is better than just removing a player from our roster. For sure. I don't like idea of playing an extra pircher. I see what you mean about extra options but think i prefer equal postional requirements in terms of total hitter and pitchers
                      I would assume this would flex during the season... this week I have better pitching options than usual, so I'll play my UT as a P, next week, not so favorable, so I'll play them as a hitter... 3 weeks to go and I think I can make up some points in K's, so even though I've been playing Hitters all season, I'm cycling pitchers for the last 3 weeks...

Sounds kinda fun.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Draft major bargains late ?
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          I would assume this would flex during the season... this week I have better pitching options than usual, so I'll play my UT as a P, next week, not so favorable, so I'll play them as a hitter... 3 weeks to go and I think I can make up some points in K's, so even though I've been playing Hitters all season, I'm cycling pitchers for the last 3 weeks...

Sounds kinda fun.
                          it is and that is exactly what happens. Just like in the majors. We need an extra arm we call up a Pitcher. We can change through out the season.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                            it is and that is exactly what happens. Just like in the majors. We need an extra arm we call up a Pitcher. We can change through out the season.
                            Yeave, but MLB doesn't allow one team to bat 10 hitters and one to bat 9.

Comment

Weird take - there are "bargains" every single year in auction leagues. Otherwise there would not ever be good keeper values. I know you have been in enough auctions to see that.
                              Bargains at auction (not during the season) are near-term pricing inefficiencies relative to consensus pricing. They usually entail a lower impact player who is “cheap” but doesn’t offer big production. That’s different from the very limited number of fluky breakouts we see every year. That isn’t a “bargain” in my mind but a change in value (luck or skill is debatable).

Comment

Yeave, but MLB doesn't allow one team to bat 10 hitters and one to bat 9.
                                MLB allows one team to carry 12 hitters and 13 pitchers and another to carry 13 hitters and 12 pitchers. The 23 man roster was designed to best mimic the MLB 25-man while leaving something in the free agent pool. Adding a swingman is a fun adjustment to how MLB rosters are now carrying more pitchers than when the rules were first set. It was actually 15/10 or 14/11 back then.
                                Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Working...
                                X