Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion made to change our dynasty league from 2 Catchers to 1 (Frustrating)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion made to change our dynasty league from 2 Catchers to 1 (Frustrating)

So our 12 team deep dynasty with deep M roster mixed roto has a few complaining about how bad the Catcher postion is and lack of playing time they get. It has been in exisitence for 10 years or so. I have been playing for 8. So it is established. The newish commish kind of on board with it and he has also made some other concerning statements about changes he would like to see.

First off it makes no sense bc we all play with same player pool. You can win with any combination of catchers. I won for my 3rd straight year last year : ) The past few years I have had mostly bums. Scanning WW weekely hoping to get lucky. I haven't faired too well in production from these 2 spots to say the least. But results show it hasn't affected the bottom line. The 5 years prior I also have 2 championships, and 2nd, and a 3rd : ) Thise years I had good catchers moslty. Posey, Perez types. So you can do well with the top tier guys too. If you punt these spots you have advantage in other spots. If you spend for these spots you have disadvantage in others. I think it is just laziness and lack of skill to suggest we remove 1 and make it easier.

Another huge issue is the value of players we have under contract will be greatly affected. I plugged in the numbers and it results in $10 +/- difference for many players. They have said they may have a vote and maybe it will take place in 2 years or so from now. It will take alot to calculate and adjust to how much it will affect just about every player. I think most have no idea how much this would change the players values. That is probably why I do so well : )

Anyway....has anyone seen a league like ours do something like this? What are your thoughts?

I am surprised it affects players that much. Is it a mixed league? If so I suppose it would jack the prices for the top guys at catcher (and therefore pull value elsewhere).

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      I am surprised it affects players that much. Is it a mixed league? If so I suppose it would jack the prices for the top guys at catcher (and therefore pull value elsewhere).
      That is according to the excel sheet I use for values. Yes, mixed leage. We have CRAZY inflation on top guys. I am mainly talking about top guys. Less of an affect as you go down. Didn't compare low end guys 1 big thing is 22 guys per team as opposed to 23. I guess I could talk them into changing to 2 UT to keep roster size same? Even then $4 /- change on top guys. These are most important as they are the ones holding most of the value on our teams or that have been extended. If the change happens guys that were extended to say $45 are now worth $5-$10 less? That isn't right. I made a trade at end of year last year based on the player contraol and value of the player. Now his value would be different. I wouldn't have made the trade if it were where it would be now. Top catchers most affected.

Still other point is it doesn't matter. Still same skill needed to manage your team based on what is available.

Comment

Wow, I hate stuff like this. Why do they want to take a chess like game and make it checkers.

It is a Dynasty League! Go find that second catcher who will have some value a couple of years from now!

Comment

2 years ago we went to 1 catcher and made the other catcher spot a Ut spot. We went 1 step further and made the Ut spot - could be a batter or a pitcher. We love it. One of the best moves we made.

We are a 12 team Al only league. 30 plus year league - 15 keepers- 7 farm - 12 reserve spots. Auction league with Toppers and long term contract.

Comment

My local league (14 team mixed w/ Mith & Mag7) also went to 1 catcher and added a 2nd utility position a few years back. Upon checking my league archives, i just realized that was way back in 2001. We've never regretted it. Fantasy baseball is supposed to be fun. So, why not eliminate one of the sources of misery that is a 2nd catcher?
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Wow, I hate stuff like this. Why do they want to take a chess like game and make it checkers.

It is a Dynasty League! Go find that second catcher who will have some value a couple of years from now!
              2 catchers doesn't make it Chess, it makes it a pain in the ass. As others have already said, it's supposed to be fun, and a game of some skill, so let's make it as fun as possible, instead of sweating plate appearances by a guy who might not have any pop or average.

As long as everyone is on the same page, it shouldn't be any issue whatsoever to change over. Don't be a slave to tradition folks...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

So in the past eight years you have five titles, plus two more top-three finishes? Not sure you should be complaining about anything.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by deaccat View Post

Another huge issue is the value of players we have under contract will be greatly affected. I plugged in the numbers and it results in $10 +/- difference for many players. They have said they may have a vote and maybe it will take place in 2 years or so from now. It will take alot to calculate and adjust to how much it will affect just about every player. I think most have no idea how much this would change the players values. That is probably why I do so well : )
                  There's something wrong with your spreadsheet. Most of the prices for non catchers should be exactly the same. Some may be a buck higher.

The top catchers may be a buck or two higher. The rest up to $5 or $6 lower.

Total cost for 24 catchers us about $160. Total for 12 is about $120.

Shortening the catcher pool adds about $40, which is distributed among 144 non-catchers.
                  Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Zola has spoken!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        2 catchers doesn't make it Chess, it makes it a pain in the ass. As others have already said, it's supposed to be fun, and a game of some skill, so let's make it as fun as possible, instead of sweating plate appearances by a guy who might not have any pop or average.

As long as everyone is on the same page, it shouldn't be any issue whatsoever to change over. Don't be a slave to tradition folks...
                        To change over affects years of past planning. It makes it more fun for me to have to figure out this kind of strategy. There are other league options for guys who want it to be easy. They can play in them. They can also do redraft and not worry about building dynasty type vaue on their roster.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          So in the past eight years you have five titles, plus two more top-three finishes? Not sure you should be complaining about anything.
                          Even if i hadn't had that type of success I would be saying the same thing. Maybe having this type of format may be why I do so well bc others don't put the thought into maximizing value. I don't want to make it easier for them. A few guys do well each year. We have 2-3 perenial bottom dwellers who either don't get it or occasionally don't set their lineups properly. My close friend plays, one of the bottom dwellers each year. Homestly he doesn't get it. We play fantasy football togehter also and he does well every year there. The Football we play isn't a dynasty, doesn't use salary cap. So I tell him it is obviously more of a luck factor. The baseball league we play in was created to specifically include the skill of this type of situation. If it is supposed to be easy than we could do 3of's and remove MI spot. Maybe 7 Pitchers? I start part time speed guys all the time too bc I have to get sb's somewhere. If it becomes too hard should we remove the SB category? The same with saves. They actually have made a comment or 2 about removing that.

It is part of the fun and skill to make these type of decisions. I don't want to play in an easier league bc some find it too difficult. There are options for them to play in other leagues if they do and it is not fun for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                            There's something wrong with your spreadsheet. Most of the prices for non catchers should be exactly the same. Some may be a buck higher.

The top catchers may be a buck or two higher. The rest up to $5 or $6 lower.

Total cost for 24 catchers us about $160. Total for 12 is about $120.

Shortening the catcher pool adds about $40, which is distributed among 144 non-catchers.
                            I mainly just looked at top tier guys. When adding the keeper values there is a big change. Our league tends to pay and extend big on top guys. Even just a few dollars affects the value and decisions that were made years prior.

The players who's value go lower isn't the part that is affected and is the problem. They wouldn't have been kept so they will go in the new years auction at the proper value if the new format is implemented. It is the keepers and high end talent pool that are affected.

Comment

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
                              Even if i hadn't had that type of success I would be saying the same thing. Maybe having this type of format may be why I do so well bc others don't put the thought into maximizing value. I don't want to make it easier for them. A few guys do well each year. We have 2-3 perenial bottom dwellers who either don't get it or occasionally don't set their lineups properly. My close friend plays, one of the bottom dwellers each year. Homestly he doesn't get it. We play fantasy football togehter also and he does well every year there. The Football we play isn't a dynasty, doesn't use salary cap. So I tell him it is obviously more of a luck factor. The baseball league we play in was created to specifically include the skill of this type of situation. If it is supposed to be easy than we could do 3of's and remove MI spot. Maybe 7 Pitchers? I start part time speed guys all the time too bc I have to get sb's somewhere. If it becomes too hard should we remove the SB category? The same with saves. They actually have made a comment or 2 about removing that.

It is part of the fun and skill to make these type of decisions. I don't want to play in an easier league bc some find it too difficult. There are options for them to play in other leagues if they do and it is not fun for them.
                              That’s why we went to the UT spot Batter or P. You can play the speed guy, power guy, or play an extra Pitcher. To me it adds options.

Comment

Working...
                              X