Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion made to change our dynasty league from 2 Catchers to 1 (Frustrating)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
    So our 12 team deep dynasty with deep M roster mixed roto has a few complaining about how bad the Catcher postion is and lack of playing time they get. It has been in exisitence for 10 years or so. I have been playing for 8. So it is established. The newish commish kind of on board with it and he has also made some other concerning statements about changes he would like to see.

First off it makes no sense bc we all play with same player pool. You can win with any combination of catchers. I won for my 3rd straight year last year : ) The past few years I have had mostly bums. Scanning WW weekely hoping to get lucky. I haven't faired too well in production from these 2 spots to say the least. But results show it hasn't affected the bottom line. The 5 years prior I also have 2 championships, and 2nd, and a 3rd : ) Thise years I had good catchers moslty. Posey, Perez types. So you can do well with the top tier guys too. If you punt these spots you have advantage in other spots. If you spend for these spots you have disadvantage in others. I think it is just laziness and lack of skill to suggest we remove 1 and make it easier.

Another huge issue is the value of players we have under contract will be greatly affected. I plugged in the numbers and it results in $10 +/- difference for many players. They have said they may have a vote and maybe it will take place in 2 years or so from now. It will take alot to calculate and adjust to how much it will affect just about every player. I think most have no idea how much this would change the players values. That is probably why I do so well : )

Anyway....has anyone seen a league like ours do something like this? What are your thoughts?
    To get back to the original question, I would not be surprised if the idea came up just because people want things to change. When one team has five titles, a second place, and a third place in eight years, the other members of the league will want change. Of course, you won't, like the dolphins, for the exact same reason. Personally, I avoid dynasty leagues because of a worse variation of this problem---they tend to fold---as the name says, someone will get a dynasty, and too many teams will decide to stop donating to the prize pool year after year without hope. Regardless of how you want this to play out, if there is ever a vote on it, stating your actual preference on the issue will likely encourage votes in the other direction.

Hat tip to those who get the dolphin reference. You are people of good taste with the appreciate of brilliance.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      To get back to the original question, I would not be surprised if the idea came up just because people want things to change. When one team has five titles, a second place, and a third place in eight years, the other members of the league will want change. Of course, you won't, like the dolphins, for the exact same reason. Personally, I avoid dynasty leagues because of a worse variation of this problem---they tend to fold---as the name says, someone will get a dynasty, and too many teams will decide to stop donating to the prize pool year after year without hope. Regardless of how you want this to play out, if there is ever a vote on it, stating your actual preference on the issue will likely encourage votes in the other direction.

Hat tip to those who get the dolphin reference. You are people of good taste with the appreciate of brilliance.
      Could be some truth to that. I think for most part it is lazy, fantasy football minded people. They don't have the skills or desire to put the work in to create the best lineup with those settings. It evens out the playing field and more luck is involved by reducing player pool. For sure my comments on it only hurt me as I have a target due to my success.

Dynasty leagues are so fun IMO. Not just bc of my success, but it helps enjoyment for sure! I love building a team to compete in year while also planning for future. I feel like a real GM sort of. My M roster has been key to my success so it is like scouting. Big props to RHD!

We do normally have some turnover, but this year all have returned. we have some long term players who it is kind of just part of their life even though that haven't done well every year. We pay top 4 of 12 so every few years most experience some success which makes them keep coming back : ) Many have hubris. They truely believe they are much better than they are and think just bad luck and injuries are what do them in. One guy non stop brags about how great his roster and prospects are. He rarely placs top 4. It is funny.

Anyway, thanks for reply. I think it has been tabled for now but may pop back up as draft nears.

Comment

I think it has been tabled for now but may pop back up as draft nears.
        Curious what you mean regarding the "draft" for a dynasty league. Is this a first year player draft? So you'll be taking guys who were just drafted in the mlb basically?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Says who?? There are comments every year of "great buy, that was a discount", in multiple live auction leagues I take part, in during the auction. I'm not clear why you are digging in so deeply on this, players go for too much, and players go for too little in every single auction every single year. And you don't have to wait until after the auction to notice it.
          Interesting. My league definitely has some value guys going late too, but not a ton. I tend to spend most of my money early because I also see value early as well. I also see players going for way too much both in the middle and late in the auction, as the teams with cash late fight for the guys they have been saving for, or that last good 3bman or closer before a tier drop. I rarely see big overpays early, so I prefer to take the sure value on the big names over the temptation of late value. But that may be because my league has 2 consistent bargain hunters that think they win the auction by controlling the end game. They invariably bid up many of the guys they hoped would be end game value bargains to the point where they aren't great values. I'm usually so broke by the end game, I have to hope those guys fill their rosters before all my late game targets get nominated.

My typical auction usually has me winning 2-3 of the top available players early at close to projected values. Then I'm out of play for a long time. Then I'm back in late. I generally do better with my early value picks than late ones, even though they are usually very small values in relation to projected value. I generally don't hit on the end game value guys, although when one does hit one of the dollar days guys, obviously the pay off can be huge. Last year, I snagged Lowrie for $1, for instance. That was a good get. I got Boxberger and Keon Kela for $1 each as well. As I reflect, a decent number of my late game wins come from targeting set up men that I think will replace the overpriced closers that went earlier in the auction. I typically avoid paying for closer. I've had good luck doing that.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-05-2019, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Curious what you mean regarding the "draft" for a dynasty league. Is this a first year player draft? So you'll be taking guys who were just drafted in the mlb basically?
            Our leagues anual auction. We can keep 12 keepers plus an unlimited number of M players on our roster. All non kept players are eligible to be drafted at auction. We have a seperate 3 round M draft after that is over

Comment

Our leagues anual auction. We can keep 12 keepers plus an unlimited number of M players on our roster. All non kept players are eligible to be drafted at auction. We have a seperate 3 round M draft after that is over
              Ohhhh, now this thread is starting to make more sense. That's a keeper league not a dynasty league. The fact that you can keep unlimited minors players makes it "dynasty-ish", but the term dynasty league means you don't ever have to give a player back to the pool. You can keep your whole team for their entire career.

Comment

Weird take - there are "bargains" every single year in auction leagues. Otherwise there would not ever be good keeper values. I know you have been in enough auctions to see that.
                this +1
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Ohhhh, now this thread is starting to make more sense. That's a keeper league not a dynasty league. The fact that you can keep unlimited minors players makes it "dynasty-ish", but the term dynasty league means you don't ever have to give a player back to the pool. You can keep your whole team for their entire career.
                  Sorry, we usually call it dynasty. You are right though. Do you see how changing roster formation and structure will be a big issue or do you thonk it is minimal?

Comment

Sorry, we usually call it dynasty. You are right though. Do you see how changing roster formation and structure will be a big issue or do you thonk it is minimal?
                    It has some impact, but you gotta be willing to adapt. My main keeper league is doing the same thing, the 2nd catcher spot is being voted on this year for elimination.

Obviously the change mostly impacts those teams that have two catchers. Put it to vote a year in advance. If it passes, then during that year, find a team that has no decent catcher and offload your 2nd catcher. As long as there is reasonable notice, it affects everyone roughly equivalently and there should be no big issue.

Comment

It has some impact, but you gotta be willing to adapt. My main keeper league is doing the same thing, the 2nd catcher spot is being voted on this year for elimination.

Obviously the change mostly impacts those teams that have two catchers. Put it to vote a year in advance. If it passes, then during that year, find a team that has no decent catcher and offload your 2nd catcher. As long as there is reasonable notice, it affects everyone roughly equivalently and there should be no big issue.
                      Males sense. Thanks

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything that Ken and Todd Zola have written, and I think there is clearly a concept of "value" at the time of the auction. It's fine if we want to call it predicted performance or projected stats "reduced to present value" or whatever. But we all have some general idea of what players are worth. And there are differences in our valuations. Otherwise there could be no auction.

Sometimes our projections are way off, but that is fantasy baseball. It doesn't change the idea that there is a concept of value that serves as the basis for buying and trading players before and during the season. (It would be a different game entirely if we purchased or traded for stats already in the books.)

Ken is spot on about auction dynamics, too. They create bargains, and it isn't just about people failing to price according to the true market.
                        Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 02-06-2019, 06:54 PM.
                        If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                          It would be a different game entirely if we purchased or traded for stats already in the books.
                          Yes, and it's actually quite fun. And addictive.

Where Jamie Quirk has more value than Buster Posey. It's RJ's own take on fantasy baseball -- Vintage Drafting.

Comment

Yes, and it's actually quite fun. And addictive.

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/forum...Vintage-Drafts
                            Ah, I remember when I was the VD King and young enough to think that was funny.

Comment

Working...
                            X