No announcement yet.

2k19: Garrett Hampson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Hampson at $1 but we have reserve roster of 6 so I could place him there. Right now it is muddle as there is so many possibilities at play. Do think that it will come down to mostly who perform the best in ST Hampson, McMahon and Rodgers to start the season. I suppose they could play Murphy at 2B but it would make more sense to keep him healthier by playing 1B. Bottom line is Hampson is a gamble for amount of PT but could payoff in BA and steals.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      Things that would not surprise me:
      Josh Harrison to COL
      Ian Desmond back to first, Murphy to second
      Mark Reynolds makes the team and plays first, Murphy to second

I just feel like the argument "The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place" does a poor job of explaining Gerardo Parra or Chris Iannetta or Mark Reynolds or Nick Hundley or Ryan Raburn.
      Brendan Rodgers tears up camp, Trevor Story to 2B. No money, much better defense.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        Brendan Rodgers tears up camp, Trevor Story to 2B. No money, much better defense.

J
        Is Rodgers a better glove than Story? Not sure he is.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          Things that would not surprise me:
          Josh Harrison to COL
          Ian Desmond back to first, Murphy to second
          Mark Reynolds makes the team and plays first, Murphy to second

I just feel like the argument "The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place" does a poor job of explaining Gerardo Parra or Chris Iannetta or Mark Reynolds or Nick Hundley or Ryan Raburn.
          The organization doesn't like Ian Desmond at first, and they don't want Daniel Murphy at second. Barring some intervening disaster that forces their hand, those scenarios aren't happening.

Your list of mediocre veteran signings is pretty easily explainable - they were brought in because the the developing youngsters at those positions - Dahl, Tapia, Murphy, Wolters - were clearly not ready at the time and they had no passable organizational depth. I think the club believes Ryan McMahon is ready to contribute, hopes that Garrett Hampson is ready contribute, and knows that Brendan Rodgers will contribute, just not exactly when.

I only see the Josh Harrison/ free agent scenario happening if all three guys flop badly in Spring Training. Possible, but unlikely, IMO.

My closing argument: Never bet against the cheapness of the Colorado Rockies.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            He's certainly not "much better." Story's defense is good - he's probably a top ten defender at short.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              The point is that Story is a better glove than any of the 2B options. Feel free to leave Story at SS with Rodgers at 2B.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                IF he actually has 500 AB and hits .265, I have to think he delivers more runs and rbi.
                The bottom of the Rockies' lineup is not good---a pitcher, Desmond, whoever catches, and, if he plays, Hampson. Even in Coors, the runs and rbis won't be great among that set. That being said, nothing there that would stop him from getting a green light on the base paths.

Comment

The Rockies are loaded at middle infield. McMahon, Hampson, and Rodgers have all put up good numbers in the minors. And Story is still under team control for several more years. All four of these players were drafted by the Rockies in rounds 1-3 and are highly regarded. The only way to solve this logjam will be to make a trade or to play Hampson in center field and move someone to third base next year if Arenado doesn't get re-signed. I think Sheep is correct about Hampson only getting part-time at bats in 2019.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X