Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2k19: Garrett Hampson

Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    The great thing about the Rockies is how dependably they use their highly touted rookie hitters.

(p.s. the Rockies starting second baseman on Opening Day will either be Josh Harrison or Neil Walker.)
    I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I know, the team is saving every penny for the Nolan Arenado negotiations. If they were willing to pay a veteran second baseman, I'm pretty they'd have made DJ LeMahieu an offer. I'll be shocked if they bring in a free agent second baseman this year, or any free agent, save for maybe a scrapheap reclamation project for the bullpen.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Quote Originally Posted by senorsheep View Post
    I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I know, the team is saving every penny for the Nolan Arenado negotiations. If they were willing to pay a veteran second baseman, I'm pretty they'd have made DJ LeMahieu an offer. I'll be shocked if they bring in a free agent second baseman this year, or any free agent, save for maybe a scrapheap reclamation project for the bullpen.
    I would be more worried about Brendan Rodgers.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by senorsheep View Post
    LeMahieu signed for two years and $24M. Walker signed for one year and $2M. It's not the same scale.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

LeMahieu signed for two years and $24M. Walker signed for one year and $2M. It's not the same scale.
    Given their budget and their desire to re-sign Arenado, I don't see why the Rox would go with either second baseman, or any free agent second baseman. The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place, and their budget constraints prevent them from rolling the dice on a sketchy veteran looking to rebuild his value. Daniel Murphy was pretty much it for Colorado; maybe they'll bring in a value-priced bullpen arm. I'll stick with my earlier comment - the threats to Hampson's playing time will come from within. Ryan McMahon will challenge him for season-opening PT in Spring Training. Brendan Rodgers will be a second-half threat if Hampson and/or McMahon fails to deliver.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Big Leaguer
    Things that would not surprise me:
    Josh Harrison to COL
    Ian Desmond back to first, Murphy to second
    Mark Reynolds makes the team and plays first, Murphy to second

I just feel like the argument "The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place" does a poor job of explaining Gerardo Parra or Chris Iannetta or Mark Reynolds or Nick Hundley or Ryan Raburn.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I have Hampson at $1 but we have reserve roster of 6 so I could place him there. Right now it is muddle as there is so many possibilities at play. Do think that it will come down to mostly who perform the best in ST Hampson, McMahon and Rodgers to start the season. I suppose they could play Murphy at 2B but it would make more sense to keep him healthier by playing 1B. Bottom line is Hampson is a gamble for amount of PT but could payoff in BA and steals.

Josh Harrison to COL

I just feel like the argument "The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place" does a poor job of explaining Gerardo Parra or Chris Iannetta or Mark Reynolds or Nick Hundley or Ryan Raburn.
    Brendan Rodgers tears up camp, Trevor Story to 2B. No money, much better defense.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Brendan Rodgers tears up camp, Trevor Story to 2B. No money, much better defense.

J
    Is Rodgers a better glove than Story? Not sure he is.

Josh Harrison to COL

The organization doesn't like Ian Desmond at first, and they don't want Daniel Murphy at second. Barring some intervening disaster that forces their hand, those scenarios aren't happening.

Your list of mediocre veteran signings is pretty easily explainable - they were brought in because the the developing youngsters at those positions - Dahl, Tapia, Murphy, Wolters - were clearly not ready at the time and they had no passable organizational depth. I think the club believes Ryan McMahon is ready to contribute, hopes that Garrett Hampson is ready contribute, and knows that Brendan Rodgers will contribute, just not exactly when.

I only see the Josh Harrison/ free agent scenario happening if all three guys flop badly in Spring Training. Possible, but unlikely, IMO.

My closing argument: Never bet against the cheapness of the Colorado Rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by joncarlos View Post
    Is Rodgers a better glove than Story? Not sure he is.
    He's certainly not "much better." Story's defense is good - he's probably a top ten defender at short.