2k19: Garrett Hampson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k19: Garrett Hampson

I’ve been very high on this guy since early last year (hat tip to rhd!). Love the profile (solid plate discipline, solid wheels) and the Coors boost. He’s also SS eligible in most leagues and will quickly qualify at 2B as well.

But does he start the season with the 2B job in the majors? With LeMahieu gone there is opportunity. Brendan Rodgers sits in the wings, but he hasn’t stayed healthy and I sense his prospect star has dimmed a little bit.

So what does the pen say about Hampson in 2k19? Looking for less biased views than my own.

BBHQ has Hampson getting 500 AB and going .265 with 30 SB (8 HR, 33 RBI, 56 Runs). $18 projected value. Pretty nice for an NL only.

IF he actually has 500 AB and hits .265, I have to think he delivers more runs and rbi.
    Last edited by Sharky; 01-29-2019, 09:00 AM.

It all depends on "if" he gets the job. "If" he gets the job, I think he'll succeed, as he's a high OBP guy and can add 30-40 SBs. But that's a big "if." They could bring in someone else for a short-term fix, or Rodgers could also be in the mix. But he's a good cheap spec guy.

Comment

I have him at $8 (year 2). Still cheap at that price?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        I have him at $8 (year 2). Still cheap at that price?
        I'd say appropriate ... though if he wins the job outright (and I agree that he'll have to compete for it through ST, they won't just hand the job to him) ... if he wins it $8 could be a bargain. Of course if he loses it you're left having to find a replacement with $8 less cash (assuming you can stash him in your reserves), but that's worth the risk IMO.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I like him a lot but his penciled in for the bottom on the order so it's tampering my enthusiasm. Although once Daniel Murphy gets hurt maybe he could jump up to leadoff and Blackmon can hit 2nd.
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Ryan McMahon is the primary competition for Hampson's 2B playing time in 2019. I expect a platoon to start the season, and if it's a strict platoon, Hampson's on the wrong side of it (the right-handed side). Unless/until he clearly bests McMahon in ST and win the job outright, I'd confidently bet the under on 500 plate appearances. Actually, as things stand, I'd confidently bet the under on 400 plate appearances.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

This is exactly the type of player that I've been sucked in on too many times. Last year it was Kingery.

I'm dropping out of the bidding at $3 just to make sure. Right.....I'll probably end up bidding $10 in the heat of the moment and get him. Sent down to Colorado Springs in late April, returning for September callup.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                This is exactly the type of player that I've been sucked in on too many times. Last year it was Kingery.

I'm dropping out of the bidding at $3 just to make sure. Right.....I'll probably end up bidding $10 in the heat of the moment and get him. Sent down to Colorado Springs in late April, returning for September callup.
                I certainly hope that Hampson does not end up on the Brewers' rookie league team this year.
                (The Rockies AAA team left Colorado Springs for Albuquerque for 2015. The Sky Sox AAA franchise is moving to San Antonio in 2019, with Helena's high-Rookie league team heading to Colorado Springs. I made that mistake myself once.)

I have the opposite problem as I have a dynasty team with Ryan McMahon on the roster. My gut tells me that both he and Hampson are primed to kill each other's fantasy values this year in a platoon, though since McMahon never got into a hitting groove when not playing every day last year, Hampson could easily take the full-time job with a decent hitting March/April. I'd give each of them about a 30% chance of being mixed league fantasy useful right now.

Comment

The great thing about the Rockies is how dependably they use their highly touted rookie hitters.

(p.s. the Rockies starting second baseman on Opening Day will either be Josh Harrison or Neil Walker.)
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    The great thing about the Rockies is how dependably they use their highly touted rookie hitters.

(p.s. the Rockies starting second baseman on Opening Day will either be Josh Harrison or Neil Walker.)
                    Neil Walker just signed w the Marlins.

Comment

I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I know, the team is saving every penny for the Nolan Arenado negotiations. If they were willing to pay a veteran second baseman, I'm pretty they'd have made DJ LeMahieu an offer. I'll be shocked if they bring in a free agent second baseman this year, or any free agent, save for maybe a scrapheap reclamation project for the bullpen.
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I know, the team is saving every penny for the Nolan Arenado negotiations. If they were willing to pay a veteran second baseman, I'm pretty they'd have made DJ LeMahieu an offer. I'll be shocked if they bring in a free agent second baseman this year, or any free agent, save for maybe a scrapheap reclamation project for the bullpen.
                        I would be more worried about Brendan Rodgers.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          LeMahieu signed for two years and $24M. Walker signed for one year and $2M. It's not the same scale.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

LeMahieu signed for two years and $24M. Walker signed for one year and $2M. It's not the same scale.
                            Given their budget and their desire to re-sign Arenado, I don't see why the Rox would go with either second baseman, or any free agent second baseman. The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place, and their budget constraints prevent them from rolling the dice on a sketchy veteran looking to rebuild his value. Daniel Murphy was pretty much it for Colorado; maybe they'll bring in a value-priced bullpen arm. I'll stick with my earlier comment - the threats to Hampson's playing time will come from within. Ryan McMahon will challenge him for season-opening PT in Spring Training. Brendan Rodgers will be a second-half threat if Hampson and/or McMahon fails to deliver.

Comment

Things that would not surprise me:
                              Josh Harrison to COL
                              Ian Desmond back to first, Murphy to second
                              Mark Reynolds makes the team and plays first, Murphy to second

I just feel like the argument "The ones that remain don't present a clear upgrade to the young, cheap platoon they already have in place" does a poor job of explaining Gerardo Parra or Chris Iannetta or Mark Reynolds or Nick Hundley or Ryan Raburn.

Comment

Working...
                              X