No announcement yet.

RJ Mock Draft Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was a pretty significant amount of debate last year about projections. Did anybody bother to go back and see how the projections fared? Seems a pointless exercise if we dont return to measure the results.
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      No prob. It's a good test case to look at.

It might be easiest if you line them up side by side for the top few

Sale vs Bauer. Steamer projects Sale to have a 2.77 ERA and .97 WHIP across 181 IP vs Bauer 3.56/1.2 in 194. Already there's a chasm.
      Carrasco vs Price. Carrasco at 3.41/1.13 and Price 3.95/1.23
      Eovaldi vs Freeland - Steamer doesn't believe in Freeland's 2018 success at all - you have Eovaldi at 3.92/1.25 vs Freeland at 4.62/1.43

Then, near the bottom, JC has Lopez and Kikuchi neither of which Steamer likes. For Lopez, Steamer is expecting a 5.02 ERA and 1.41 WHIP for example.

But fundamentally when I look at both pitching staffs I see them as pretty different, Sale/Carrasco is a very large commitment to SP and comes with projections of a great staff. Bauer/Price/Freeland is quite a bit cheaper in draft capital, but like we see with Steamer I'd expect a big dropoff
      I was surprised to see my pitching rated so badly but given these projections I'm not surprised. Lopez was definitely a points league play. I don't think I'd start him (or even draft him intending to start him very often) in roto. Then again I probably do need a starter in there when I'm carrying 3 other RPs that will probably start. Hopefully one of Eickhoff or Paddack will pop. It's definitely a risky pitching staff. Riskier than it probably should be given that I used 3 of my first 6 picks on pitching. I'm really counting on that Skaggs/Freeland/Kikuchi trio.

I guess the projections for Trevor May and Matt Barnes as closers aren't particularly rosy if I'm only looking at 48 saves.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I was surprised to see my pitching rated so badly but given these projections I'm not surprised. Lopez was definitely a points league play. I don't think I'd start him (or even draft him intending to start him very often) in roto. Then again I probably do need a starter in there when I'm carrying 3 other RPs that will probably start. Hopefully one of Eickhoff or Paddack will pop. It's definitely a risky pitching staff. Riskier than it probably should be given that I used 3 of my first 6 picks on pitching. I'm really counting on that Skaggs/Freeland/Kikuchi trio.
        Yeah, bestball strategy would make the roto points suffer that makes sense.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I guess the projections for Trevor May and Matt Barnes as closers aren't particularly rosy if I'm only looking at 48 saves.
        Projections for saves are near useless, I'd almost ignore it entirely.

Comment

• Can JC or Ken go into the Commish Settings and see why it's not allowing me to change the "Fantrax Primary Position?"

Commissioner/League Setup/Preferences/Position Eligibility

I keep unchecking it and hitting save, but a second later, it's checked off again.

I sent Fantrax help an email, but they've gone radio silence, which is unlike them.

Comment

• I definitely don't understand how best ball works. My pitchers yesterday:

Freeland +21
            Trienen +1.5
            Jared Hughes -0.5
            Whole bunch of guys with 0.0

So.... zero is better than -0.5, so my team should have had 22.5 pitching points yesterday. Nope. That -0.5 somehow counted.

I know it's just for fun and I don't really care that much, but I was kinda hoping to come out of this with an appreciation for (or at least understanding of...) how this best ball works. So far, not so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Can JC or Ken go into the Commish Settings and see why it's not allowing me to change the "Fantrax Primary Position?"

Commissioner/League Setup/Preferences/Position Eligibility

I keep unchecking it and hitting save, but a second later, it's checked off again.

I sent Fantrax help an email, but they've gone radio silence, which is unlike them.
              By the way, I never did get this to work. Same thing happens to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                By the way, I never did get this to work. Same thing happens to me.
                I finally got a response from them yesterday after I sent yet another email. And they finally told me that oh, if you're using best ball, it's only the Fantrax position setting (meaning, not our standard eligibility settings). I told them it would have been nice if they posted that somewhere, anywhere, in that area of the Commish settings,but it is what it is.

Comment

I finally got a response from them yesterday after I sent yet another email. And they finally told me that oh, if you're using best ball, it's only the Fantrax position setting (meaning, not our standard eligibility settings). I told them it would have been nice if they posted that somewhere, anywhere, in that area of the Commish settings,but it is what it is.
                  that's it, I'm playing this whole year under protest!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Wow, since this draft I've lost Stanton, Andujar, and Trea Turner and we're just getting started!

Comment

• so, does anyone actually understand the scoring system? Is it picking the best player performance off your roster, or not?
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• <obligitory>Who cares, it was a mock draft!</obligatory>

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          so, does anyone actually understand the scoring system? Is it picking the best player performance off your roster, or not?
                          Yes..

Comment

• "Best Ball" continues to count negatives as better than zero. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Comment

Can you share the contact information that worked for Fantrax? I'm having a problem with their vickrey setup and I can't get any response through the channels I've tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X