Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k19: Byron Buxton

da fuq happened here?

After a 2017 season where he emerged as a star, he went over the falls in a barrel and probably took his fantasy owners with him. He got just 90 ABs in the majors, hitting a puny .156 with 5 SBs. And Minny demoted him to AAA, where he also showed little.

How do you even project him for 2019? Could he return to his 2017 form? Is he an AAAA player? Who knows? STEAMER has him at .244/.301 with 13 HRs and 16 SBs, but how likely is that?

Call me crazy but I might take the gamble this year with a low investment price. There's not much to lose and it could be a huge return.
    Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

He was being way over-drafted last year on the basis of a great end to the 2017 season which was at least partially BABIP-driven. He just turned 25 so he has time and the considerable upside remains. I think he's very much worth taking a chance on (would anyone be completely shocked if he ends up being one of the steals of the draft?) if he falls but you can't realistically expect anything more than .245/.310/.400 with 15 or so steals.

Comment

I agree with you both. He should come cheap and has the skills to be a steal. Although, if the buzz about him being in the best shape of his life snowballs, maybe his rock bottom price rises to a point where the risk outweighs the reward. It has already started. Reports of him adding 17lbs of muscle this off-season are already out there.

I wouldn't chase too high, but because he is so elite defensively, you know he will get to be an every day player if healthy. That is worth something and gives him every opportunity to figure things out.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-25-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

He's not going cheap enough at this point. He's still ~pick 180 in NFBC. Ahead of Yuli Gurriel, Kyle Schwarber, Jesse Winker, Marcus Semien, Adam Eaton, Chris Taylor, etc. At that stage in a draft/auction I want to be getting a safer play.

Comment

Byron Buxton said Saturday that he's gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason.

The young outfielder was limited to just 64 games last season due to multiple injuries and he's hopeful that the added muscle will help keep him healthy. "If I want to play the way that I want to play and run into walls, I’ve got to have a little bit more cushion," Buxton said. Buxton's fantasy ceiling remains super high, but he's not guaranteed a starting job and will need to show that he can stay on the field and produce.
            Source: Minneapolis Star-TribuneJan 27 - 9:11 AM

Comment

If and when he ever puts together a full season he could well be a monster. I recently sold him off in an AL League mainly to shed his guaranteed contract as I was entering a contention window. Seems like a guy who could use a change of scenery but hopefully the Twins commit to him and he stays healthy. Not sure why he needed to bulk up though as we have also seen that work against players and their ability to avoid muscle strains.

Comment

I have gone from being the biggest Buxton supporter to a critic at this point. I don't think that there's any denying his skill set, probably the best OF in the game, elite speed on the basepaths, and surprising power...BUT, I suspect that he's not going to get the chance to put it all together without some really good coaching. And I don't know if the group of unknowns that the Twins hired in the offseason are ready to do the job.

I'd take a shot, but at a reduced price, which might not be available because of the true believers.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

He is being kept for the next two years at $20 in our AL only 5x5 260 budget keeper league.

That seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Byron Buxton said Saturday that he's gained 21 pounds of muscle this offseason.

The young outfielder was limited to just 64 games last season due to multiple injuries and he's hopeful that the added muscle will help keep him healthy. "If I want to play the way that I want to play and run into walls, I’ve got to have a little bit more cushion," Buxton said. Buxton's fantasy ceiling remains super high, but he's not guaranteed a starting job and will need to show that he can stay on the field and produce.
                    Source: Minneapolis Star-TribuneJan 27 - 9:11 AM
                    There is no way he doesn't start and play if fully healthy. His defense is so good, he is a no brainer even if he is hitting .200. The questions are healthy and offensive effective. But despite him burning so many for so long, it looks like the hype is building once again. Given his miserable track record, he should be a good sleepers but instead people seem to be treating him like Tesla stock, paying up for potential. I expect his price and ADP will grow with a good spring.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-27-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

wish i could jump on board but his swing is awful

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        There is no way he doesn't start and play if fully healthy. His defense is so good, he is a no brainer even if he is hitting .200. The questions are healthy and offensive effective. But despite him burning so many for so long, it looks like the hype is building once again. Given his miserable track record, he should be a good sleepers but instead people seem to be treating him like Tesla stock, paying up for potential. I expect his price and ADP will grow with a good spring.
                        If he's hitting .200, his OBP is about .250, and that isn't good enough to play the outfield, even with elite defense. If he hits .250, he's a good player. Four-tool players are often stars, so long as the missing tool isn't the hit tool. Unfortunately, that's what he is missing. He's still a lottery ticket. 3.2% BB rate and almost 30% K rate like he had last year is just brutal. I would love to buy, but unless he can make more solid contact, he's a fourth outfielder.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          If he's hitting .200, his OBP is about .250, and that isn't good enough to play the outfield, even with elite defense. If he hits .250, he's a good player. Four-tool players are often stars, so long as the missing tool isn't the hit tool. Unfortunately, that's what he is missing. He's still a lottery ticket. 3.2% BB rate and almost 30% K rate like he had last year is just brutal. I would love to buy, but unless he can make more solid contact, he's a fourth outfielder.
                          Well, yeah, I guess I overstated things a bit. But I don't think he needs to be much of a hitter to play every day and collect some counting stats. He has a bit of pop and great speed, so even hitting in the low .200s with a poor OBP, even at the bottom of the line up, he'll get some stats.

All that said, and conceding he has shown talent in the past that suggest he can improve and even be a star, I too can't buy in enough to own him. There is always someone more willing to gamble on him then me. My league has guys that dream on those power and speed tool for guys, but if the hit tool isn't there, I'm just not interested.

Comment

He makes perfect sense for a non-contender, given the upside. That also kills him for contenders.

Comment

I want to believe. Just give me 500 healthy PAs and an AVG that doesn't totally crush me. His glove and speed will do the rest.

His ADP is 181st in NFBC, the 47th OF off the board. If he's there I am all over it.

Since Jan 1 it goes:

43 Billy Hamilton (nope, I'd take Buxton)
                              44 Nimmo (yup, I'd take him over Buxton)
                              45 Bader (on the fence, would probably take Bader)
                              46 Renfroe (nope)
                              47 Buxton
                              48 Meadows (yup)
                              49 Laureano (yup)

Comment

Working...
                              X