Now that's cold..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that's cold..

-7 with a wind chill of -22. That is cold here in Lindenhurst IL.

But the coldest I ever experienced was Jan. 9th 1977 Cedarburg Wisconsin. We hit -32. But further north it hit -60 on the thermometer in Rice Lake Wisconsin. Skin damage occurs in less than 60 seconds or so they told us on the radio.

How about you?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

But the coldest I ever experienced was Jan. 9th 1977 Cedarburg Wisconsin. We hit -32. But further north it hit -60 on the thermometer in Rice Lake Wisconsin. Skin damage occurs in less than 60 seconds or so they told us on the radio.

How about you?
    Yep, my skin gets damaged.
    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

By far the coldest I've ever been was skiing in the Rockies many years ago (in my 20's), -40 at the base, the temp at the top of the mountain was -55, without the wind chill. It was the last day of a five-day ski trip so we weren't going to stay inside; having said that, the mountain was virtually empty as nobody else was crazy enough to be skiing. I had to get a second hat to put on top of the one I was wearing as I could quite literally feel the heat moving through my scalp off the top of my head. Of course no skin could be exposed, you'd get frostbite within seconds. That was nuts.

I've experienced -30ish many many times. As an aside, investing in a really good winter coat is critical when it get's down in this range.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I moved to Arizona to never have to worry about it again, and I've blocked out my coldest memories.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          I moved to Arizona to never have to worry about it again, and I've blocked out my coldest memories.
          Right? I was just out doing yard work and got bit by a mosquito!
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I did 123 degrees in Palm Springs once.

if you're Irish like me, that's not so bad. I'd much rather bake in Palm Springs than fry in Orlando or Houston at 30 degrees 'cooler.'
            #dryheat #sweatmeister

I bail out at around 20 degrees; have never been anywhere that manages below that for multiple days, so the 'hibernation' is never very long.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The low temperatures forecast for next week in Western PA:

M) 35 - not too bad
              TU) +3 - brrrrr
              W) -1 - ouch
              TH) +1 - omg
              F) -5 - wtf
              SA) +4 - really?
              SU) 19 - heat wave

And that's without even factoring in for the wind chill. I don't remember it ever being below 5 degrees for 5 consecutive days. Wow!
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

so I just checked - nothing below 20 here in that span.

seasons are awesome, and hunkering down a bit makes the spring more magical and the fall more alluring - in a way that is missed in AZ and southern CA and southern FL. and I've been everywhere, man.

but madducks' masochism? nothing extra magical about that
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I thought you guys liked a good rant. Maybe i need to swear more. Hmmmmn........
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

How about you?
                    SO - my son taking a weekend getaway in Chicago this weekend might not have been such a great idea

Comment

Left the house at 6:15 am and it was -14!

I know where I live, it is my choice, so I do not normally complain about weather. This is not normal.

Comment

We've had some insane temps here lately and next Tuesday thru Thursday we are looking at -20 lows with 20-30 mph winds and we are expected to be -50 below wind chill

Comment

Left the house at 6:15 am and it was -14!

I know where I live, it is my choice, so I do not normally complain about weather. This is not normal.
                          Eh, I've learned to bitch about whatever I feel like.
                          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

-27 with a wind chill of -55 since last night and continuing for another 36 hours

Comment

-3 with wind chill of -22 luckily I don’t have to go anywhere. Movies and gaming on my radar. Good news it will get up to 40 by Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                              X