Top Pick in a Dispersal Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Pick in a Dispersal Draft

I joined a league Revo runs, 15 teams you can keep up to 4 major league keepers and 2 farm keepers. The league is 5x5 with OBP instead of avg.

So I see a few viable picks and want to take some input. It is a snake draft so I will pick 1, 6,7, 12, 13, etc.

So here are the guys I see as options...

Jesse Winker $5 going into year 2
    Matt Carpenter $12 going to year 2
    Andrelton Simmons $1 going to his option year

Since it is OPB I kind of dinged these guys down but here they are in case anyone wants to make a case...

Ozzie Albies $5 year 2
    Alb. Mondesi FARM so he will be $5 as soon as I activate him but he would let me keep 5 usuable players but his obp sucks
    W Adames FARM just not sure his upside is enough for this pick
    David Dahl $5 year 2
    Sean Doolittle $3 option year

Ok so that is the list of the guys I could make a case for, if you made me pick now I think I would choose Winker, but Carpenter's OBP is really safe and Simmons is very cheap. Any help is more than welcome as a short keeper list minimal farm OBP league is not something i have played before.

OBP or not, a 20/20 guy is still good. Or a 15/30 guy. Or whatever.

Do you really think you can win in year 1? Or are you going for a multi-year plan?

Only having 4 keepers means you might be able to compete right away.

I think my list is Albies, Dahl, Carp, Mondesi, Winker, Doolittle, ... big dropoff, Simmons, Adames.

So knowing you're probably getting one of Simmons/Adames if you want them, does that devalue the MIs on the front end? I can see an argument for any of the top 4 with the first pick. Dahl or Carp are the most unique.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      OBP or not, a 20/20 guy is still good. Or a 15/30 guy. Or whatever.

Do you really think you can win in year 1? Or are you going for a multi-year plan?

Only having 4 keepers means you might be able to compete right away.

I think my list is Albies, Dahl, Carp, Mondesi, Winker, Doolittle, ... big dropoff, Simmons, Adames.

So knowing you're probably getting one of Simmons/Adames if you want them, does that devalue the MIs on the front end? I can see an argument for any of the top 4 with the first pick. Dahl or Carp are the most unique.
      Thanks I need to hear some views on this. I only play in one OBP league and it always takes me a ton of prep to get ready for. I think with only 4 keepers I can probably compete if I have a good auction because I doubt a lot of teams will have a huge edge.

Comment

I feel you are overthinking the OBP aspect. It's just one category.

Winker is a nice player but there are questions re playing time with the additions of Puig and Kemp. Dahl is my clear first choice. Don't pass on him if you have a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
          I feel you are overthinking the OBP aspect. It's just one category.

Winker is a nice player but there are questions re playing time with the additions of Puig and Kemp. Dahl is my clear first choice. Don't pass on him if you have a chance.
          Thanks I definitely needed to talk this out and I probably did put too much emphasis on OBP with Winker and Carp as my top two.

Comment

Wow, I could not pass on a *free* Mondesi. He's the highest value player on this list (even with OBP) based on pre-season projections, and he doesn't cost you anything in the auction, and you get to keep an additional player.

I'm not sure how it's even close.

Comment

Yeah, Mondesi's upside, even on an obp league, at the price of free is to much to pass on. I also love Carp at 12 as my second choice. Albies as my 3rd. Dahl is an upside play, but the dude is snake bit. I like Winkler too, but I'd rank em Dahl then Winkler for the reasons already given.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Wow, I could not pass on a *free* Mondesi. He's the highest value player on this list (even with OBP) based on pre-season projections, and he doesn't cost you anything in the auction, and you get to keep an additional player.

I'm not sure how it's even close.
                Agreed.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

So far I have heard people in favor of Dahl, Albies and Mondesi, but the last 3 people like the free Mondesi. I initially had Mondesi ranked 1, but then I looked at Carp and Winkers OBP and probably over boosted them.

Comment

Originally posted by frae View Post
                    So far I have heard people in favor of Dahl, Albies and Mondesi, but the last 3 people like the free Mondesi. I initially had Mondesi ranked 1, but then I looked at Carp and Winkers OBP and probably over boosted them.
                    Have to admit I am an NL guy so I should have qualified my choice of Dahl.

Comment

As I read this I found myself agreeing with each post. I think all made good points.

Dahl and Mondesi are no brainers for me and I would be excited to have them. Albies, Doolittle and Carp would round out my 5.

I agree with Harmon on the Winker playing time. With only 4 or 5 keepers I would not roster him.

Comment

If you take Albies #1 (he won't last until your next pick), you can turn him into a $23 Benintendi (at +10 every year) if you want. Or anyone else on my roster except Mookie Betts.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          If you take Albies #1 (he won't last until your next pick), you can turn him into a $23 Benintendi (at +10 every year) if you want. Or anyone else on my roster except Mookie Betts.
                          I think I am probably best off taking Mondesi since he won't count as a keeper and then getting 4 guys the next few rounds. There are some at value studs I can fill in with my 3rd and 4th pick.

Comment

That's fine. Maybe the guys picking behind you will see this, too.

Comment

I took Mondesi with pick one. So far it has followed as this...

1.1 Mondesi farm
                              1.2 Albies. 5 b
                              1.3 Dahl 5 b
                              2.01 Andujar 5 b
                              2.02 P Corbin 8 b
                              2.03 Matt Carpenter 12 B
                              3.01 Jose Berrios 5 opt

So it came back to me and Carpenter which was there and I loved that, but I was hoping Corbin would slip. With Corbin gone the only other SP under value in my mind was Jose Berrios at $5. So it was down to Doolittle $3 opt and Berrios $5 opt. I just decided to not chase the saves and get a guy who could take another step forward. We will see what makes it back to me to round out my 4 keepers on paper. Mondesi will be a farm keep for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X