Dynasty: Would you trade Votto for Happ if you needed SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty: Would you trade Votto for Happ if you needed SP

No contracts, Votto is expendable. Would you trade Votto for Happ if you needed SP?

Not sure what you mean when you say Votto is expendable. But with no contracts, I'd rather use a keeper spot on Votto than Happ, even if I needed a SP. And this from a guy who thinks Happ is underrated.

Comment

What I mean by expendable is that I have Guerrero and Robles to man one of my DH spots. In a pinch I have Franmil and Calhoun, with Adell waiting in the wings.

Comment

my first thought was: OBP or BA? my second thought was, it doesn't matter, I'd still try for a better SP than Happ. And I too like Happ.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          my first thought was: OBP or BA? my second thought was, it doesn't matter, I'd still try for a better SP than Happ. And I too like Happ.

The last part were my thoughts as well.

Comment

Nobody needs starting pitching that bad.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

What level of value does Votto still have?
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
                No contracts, Votto is expendable. Would you trade Votto for Happ if you needed SP?
                Yes I would. Especially if you use ave. rather than OBP. Not that his ave. is bad, but he is an OBP beast.

His production last year in age 35 season was disappointing. 12 hrs in 503 abs.

JA Happ was good last year. I think he is generally underrated or under appreciated. I like his win potential on that Yankee team as well.

This from CBS_

J.A. Happ is a 35-year-old lefty coming off another solid season by both real baseball measures as well as fantasy ones. He has pitched in the AL East since the second half of the 2012 season, yet has not had an ERA over 3.70 since 2014. It is true that the league-wide strikeout rate continues to rise annually, but Happ's improvements over the last three outpace the league's overall rate. He has cut back on his breaking ball usage for more changeups and that led to career-best contact (78.3%) and swinging-strike rates (10.4%) this past season. Happ has made 30 or more starts in four of the past five seasons, but has eclipsed the 180-inning mark just once. He returned to the Yankees on a two-year deal in free agency and projects to open the season as the team's No. 4 starter.

So Ja man, I make the deal.

Comment

I'd keep Votto or find a better SP to trade for.

Comment

I agree with the majority. Even if Happ is more valuable next year, they are the same age so there is no particular dynasty advantage, the Reds' offense should be improved next year, which helps Votto, and Votto has far more perceived value---you can get more for him now or later.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      I agree with the majority. Even if Happ is more valuable next year, they are the same age so there is no particular dynasty advantage, the Reds' offense should be improved next year, which helps Votto, and Votto has far more perceived value---you can get more for him now or later.
                      Ended up trading him for Bumgarner. I don’t need Votto and I can hopefully get a decent year out of MB.

Comment

That's better, if for perceived value if nothing else. I seriously worry that MadBum is on the King Felix path of all the innings catching up to him, but that park can mask a ton of that. And if you get concerned, you can always move him for more unless he is totally busted.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          That's better, if for perceived value if nothing else. I seriously worry that MadBum is on the King Felix path of all the innings catching up to him, but that park can mask a ton of that. And if you get concerned, you can always move him for more unless he is totally busted.
                          I'm not expecting the world from MadBum, but neither was I expecting a lot from Votto (won't need him and he's declining as well). My need is SP, so here's hoping MadBum helps some.

Comment

Working...
                          X