Foreign Players in Your Minor League Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreign Players in Your Minor League Draft

How do you guys handle who's eligible for your keeper league's Minor League draft -- more specifically, foreign players not taken in the MLB Amateur Draft? We're flipping around ideas to make it less convoluted in RJEL and can't come to a consensus. The problem is that there are now many foreign amateurs who sign during the International Signing Period in July, and then there's another period in October/November when many more sign. While I think those players should be eligible for our Minor League Draft, which is held in February, we had a rule that said any foreign player who signed either during the season or after the MLB regular season ended was only eligible for our auction, which was a rule designed to make foreign star players available to everyone in the auction and not just whoever held the top pick in the ML draft. And while we are allowed to hold players who didn't make the MLB club after our auction, we cannot demote them to the minors because they already have an active contract -- so, for example, if you bid on a foreign player bound for the minor leagues, you would need to hold them as an active player, which just wastes a roster spot.

So what do you guys do in your leagues to make this easier?

In 1 keeper league, we can draft anyone, as long as he has not previously appeared in MLB and is not on a MLB roster. So both foreign players and amateurs are eligible. This doesnt really cause problems for the regular auction phase because we can carry over only 4 "redshirts" from year to year. I like to keep 1 foreign/amateur player in my system and often do. I currently have Kikuchi as a redshirt and last year I had Ohtani. In my other keeper league, we cant draft a player unless he's signed already by a MLB team. That's a rule I'd like to see changed but I'm not optimistic about it.

Comment

We used to have a completely open system, where you could sign anyone who has not exceeded rookie status minimums. I liked that set up, but it was exploited by savvy owners willing to put the time into it to unbalance the league. As we all got older and had kids, we decided it would be best to restrict our draft to those who have been drafted or signed. Our arbitrary cut off date is March 1. That means this year, during our early March draft, we will be able to pick all the 2018 draftees, as well as any international players officially signed by March 1. It it simple and works well for us.

BTW, our minor league system is handled offsite via a spreadsheet. It is a pain in the butt, but it allows us to have a minor league system that we don't have to worry about in terms of major league roster spots. We just have them down on the Excel sheet farm until someone gets called up or goes over the rookie limits and goes on the waiver wire.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-21-2019, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        We used to have a completely open system, where you could sign anyone who has not exceeded rookie status minimums. I liked that set up, but it was exploited by savvy owners willing to put the time into it to unbalance the league. As we all got older and had kids, we decided it would be best to restrict our draft to those who have been drafted or signed. Our arbitrary cut off date is March 1. That means this year, during our early March draft, we will be able to pick all the 2018 draftees, as well as any international players officially signed by March 1. It it simple and works well for us.

BTW, our minor league system is handled offsite via a spreadsheet. It is a pain in the butt, but it allows us to have a minor league system that we don't have to worry about in terms of major league roster spots. We just have them down on the Excel sheet farm until someone gets called up or goes over the rookie limits and goes on the waiver wire.
        So under your league's system, Kikuchi would be eligible for the minor league draft and not the auction?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          So under your league's system, Kikuchi would be eligible for the minor league draft and not the auction?
          For our league, because he's on a MLB team this year, he's available in the auction. He was available in previous years in the reserve round draft, in which we can take either players not yet in MLB or MLB players not bid on in the auction. I drafted Kikuchi last year because I heard he was coming over this year.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            In our league, he'd be available in both, but since we have our 5 round draft prior to our auction, he will never make it to the auction.

Comment

Perhaps the minor league draft should be limited to minor Leaguers , thus eliminating foreign leagues , college and high school players.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                Perhaps the minor league draft should be limited to minor Leaguers , thus eliminating foreign leagues , college and high school players.
                It is limited to the minor leaguers, but I mean foreign players who were signed by MLB teams who have yet to play at any American level.

Comment

It would depend on if your auction is before opening day or after. Our league always has their draft the first Saturday after opening day. It makes things much easier in that only players on the opening day 25 man rosters (or on the dl) can be bid on. But or minor league/reserve draft a team can pick any player as long as that player is not in the NL or any NL minor league team. This makes it better for owners that take the time to research and dig into foreign, college and even high school players to build their teams long term. I have been very lucky with picking a few players of this type each year during the last 4 rounds of our reserve draft. They are assigned a $2 salary and their contact clock does not start until the player gets called up to the major leagues. But the downside is that if the player is drafted to a NL team, you lose the player.

Comment

Working...
                  X