Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In honor of MLK Day

From the I Have a Dream speech:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    From the I Have a Dream speech:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    Sadly, it's a dream he never was able to experience. And shamefully it's an experience that POC to this day do not get to experience either.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

If we're going to post quotes, I'm guessing MLK was a lot more of a radical than many in here would like to acknowledge.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        If we're going to post quotes, I'm guessing MLK was a lot more of a radical than many in here would like to acknowledge.
        I always liked this one ...

"What I'm saying to you this morning is that Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social, and the Kingdom of Brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of Communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher synthesis"

edit: appropriate for this thread, if anyone has an opportunity to visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis (which is in the hotel where MLK was assassinated), it's worth the trip.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          I always liked this one ...

"What I'm saying to you this morning is that Communism forgets that life is individual. Capitalism forgets that life is social, and the Kingdom of Brotherhood is found neither in the thesis of Communism nor the antithesis of capitalism but in a higher synthesis"

edit: appropriate for this thread, if anyone has an opportunity to visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis (which is in the hotel where MLK was assassinated), it's worth the trip.
          That is a great quote, I hadn't seen that before.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

He very well may have been, but Im not sure he would have supported much of the "group think" and tribalism that is going on these days. Its almost as if you cant be an individual - you have to be part of the "class"
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Check out @sahilkapur’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...659949568?s=09
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

He very well may have been, but Im not sure he would have supported much of the "group think" and tribalism that is going on these days. Its almost as if you cant be an individual - you have to be part of the "class"
                So the guy who organized protests wouldn't support today's efforts to fight those same systemic issues? Bizarre take.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Please watch the video. Check out @francismmaxwell’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/francismmaxwell/...864398336?s=09
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

So the guy who organized protests wouldn't support today's efforts to fight those same systemic issues? Bizarre take.
                    He may fight the systemic issues that you or he may see - but he clearly wanted people judged based on the "content of their character." He organized protests sure, but he wanted people treated equally based not on color or class - but on the content of their character. Much of today's political discussions are tribalistic and if you arent in the tribe you are an evil person. How oversimplified is that?

Comment

He may fight the systemic issues that you or he may see - but he clearly wanted people judged based on the "content of their character." He organized protests sure, but he wanted people treated equally based not on color or class - but on the content of their character. Much of today's political discussions are tribalistic and if you arent in the tribe you are an evil person. How oversimplified is that?
                      Yes, AFTER the oppressive racist system in this country was completely dismantled. It is nowhere close to that point.

Now, don't take this next statement personally, but the conservative white-washing of MLK is sickening. Pence arguing that Trump is furthering MLK's legacy by shutting down the government to build a wall is about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Yes, AFTER the oppressive racist system in this country was completely dismantled. It is nowhere close to that point.

Now, don't take this next statement personally, but the conservative white-washing of MLK is sickening. Pence arguing that Trump is furthering MLK's legacy by shutting down the government to build a wall is about the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.
                        The military and the FBI honoring MLK is a bit odd as well.
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

And MLK would never have supported the libertarian position of valuing American lives over non-American lives.

ETA: although he would almost certainly have joined them in condemning our more recent imperialist invasions.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

yeah, this reminds me of this key part of his famous letter from Birmingham (which should be required reading) ...

"I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councillor or the Ku Klux Klanner but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically feels that he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time; and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              yeah, this reminds me of this key part of his famous letter from Birmingham (which should be required reading) ...

"I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councillor or the Ku Klux Klanner but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically feels that he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time; and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
                              you beat me to posting this
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X