In honor of MLK Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    And MLK would never have supported the libertarian position of valuing American lives over non-American lives.

ETA: although he would almost certainly have joined them in condemning our more recent imperialist invasions.
    I dont care whether he would have cared that way or not. As you know I dont agree with spreading democracy/freedom by the gun.

Interesting how he and I could disagree on one thing and yet agree on others. He was a great leader and had many flaws also. His stance on treating people equally is something that I fully agree with and hopefully am able to carry out in my day to day life. I also believe people should be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the quality of their character.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      yeah, this reminds me of this key part of his famous letter from Birmingham (which should be required reading) ...

"I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councillor or the Ku Klux Klanner but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically feels that he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time; and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will."
      This is the NFL protest wrapped up in a bundle..... Personally, if they want to kneel, sit on the bench, put up a fist - I just dont care. I may not agree with the time/place - but Im not going to stop them either.
      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
      X