Trading for Trout...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading for Trout...

Even though severl members of this league are active here, I need some feedback due to the nature of this deal.

AL only traditional 5x5.

I give an extendable 5 dollar Andrew Benintendi for a last year 25 buck Mike Trout. That's the basis of the deal, although there might be picks involved as well...but mainly the 2 guys.

I've got a good team that can be in the hunt again, do I try to put it over the top or extend a pretty good yearly record by keeping Benintendi?
    Last edited by Hornsby; 01-19-2019, 11:00 AM.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

I'd keep Benintendi.

Comment

I'm a sucker for Trout, but that's a very tough choice. I would make the deal as I rarely look to the future. You can regret it next year!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Even though severl members of this league are active here, I need some feedback due to the nature of this deal.

AL only traditional 5x5.

I give an extendable 5 dollar Andrew Benintendi for a last year 25 buck Mike Trout. That's the basis of the deal, although there might be picks involved as well...but mainly the 2 guys.

I've got a good team that can be in the hunt again, do I try to put it over the top or extend a pretty good yearly record by keeping Benintendi?
        I'd rather a $10/2 year benintendi then 1 year $25 trout. both could earn the same value (~ $20-$25 dollar profit). by keeping beni, you get an extra $15 to spend in the auction. and benin is two full seasons in, I've noticed many times the first jump in stats occurs in year three but that is just my 'feeling' rather than research.

Comment

AL only traditional 5x5.

Make the trade

Comment

Keep Benny, but don't be afraid to trade him when you need to make your run.
            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              I'd rather a $10/2 year benintendi then 1 year $25 trout. both could earn the same value (~ $20-$25 dollar profit). by keeping beni, you get an extra $15 to spend in the auction. .
              I agree with Art.

Comment

Thanks gents, except for Frea who'd be on the other side of the deal...LOL.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks gents, except for Frea who'd be on the other side of the deal...LOL.
                  I make the best deals, huge deals.

Comment

flags fly forever

if you haven't won in - well, long enough that you're hungry - then go for it

I traded away 5-unit farmhands Albies, Acuna, and Buehler to the same team in 2017 in two trades.

I won in 2017, he won in 2018. if he wins again (he might), then so be it. I keep drafting these farm studs, so I figure I can do it again.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      flags fly forever

I traded away 5-unit farmhands Albies, Acuna, and Buehler to the same team in 2017 in two trades.

I won in 2017, he won in 2018. if he wins again (he might), then so be it. I keep drafting these farm studs, so I figure I can do it again.
                      Thanks...I won the 3 year title and was highest scorer 2 out of the last 3 years. Won a title and lost one on a tiebreaker on the last day of the season, batting average, if you can believe that. But I still have the hunger.

Still torn, but I'm leaning towards keeping Bene and hoping for more growth...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

AL only traditional 5x5.

What a great trade offer.

I look at it a bit differently. If I am only going to extend a year than I make the trade. If I am willing to give two years to $15 I do not. My reasoning is I have a good enough team that only justifies a one year bump (to use the money elsewhere) I want the best player and that is Trout. Trout in a contract year for $25 bucks. Yes please.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          flags fly forever

I'm all for going for it every year - I agree 100%. But I'm not confident that a $25 Trout helps you win now more than a $5 Benintendi. Trout was worth $7 more than Benintendi in this format. I think that's a pretty close call.

Comment

I take a different approach to the 'win now' idea.

First, from a pure profit standpoint, there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in Trout > $25 and Bene > $10. If Trout is worth $45 and Bene is worth $25, the difference in profit is only $5. (Those are not unrealistic expectations, based upon the early valuations I have seen.)

If circumstances indicate that you should go for the win, though, you should be able to get a boatload in return for a $10 Bene when the other guys get ready to dump.

So you don't lose that much by riding Bene until you have to make the decision as to whether to go for the flag. If you don't use him in a dump trade, you have a $10 Bene coming back for 2020. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

EDIT: Ken posted while I was typing out mine...looks like we were pretty much on the same page.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

You guys convinced Horns, he passed. I just don't love my keepers going into this year, but I'll have to give it a go for now with Trout. Not a lot of other contracts in the league I will trade for going into the year. Maybe later I'll be ready to look at other guys if I fall out of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X