No announcement yet.

Unlikely/weird/random stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by that standard, the 22 runs in an inning seems more likely than a batter in a World Series game hitting 3 HR in a game on only TWO pitches
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      by that standard, the 22 runs in an inning seems more likely than a batter in a World Series game hitting 3 HR in a game on only TWO pitches
      actually I think it would only be 20 runs in the inning. anyway, seems a lot less likely than hitting n 56 straight games
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It was the 1985 World Series. The Cardinals were up three games to one and playing at home. In game five, the Royals jumped on Bob Forsch for four runs by the 2nd inning. In the sixth inning, Whitey Herzog brought in rookie Todd Worrell who sent the Royals down in order, all swinging strikeouts. In the 7th, Worrell repeated the feat, striking out Willie Wilson, George Brett and Frank White swing, for six straight swinging Ks. This is possibly a WS record but I have no confirmation.

Brett was also prominent of the first pitch of the bottom of the seventh. Terry Pendleton popped the ball foul to the left side. Brett (Gold Glove that year) dove into the Cardinals dugout in a vain attempt to catch it. That was strike one, as were the rest of the piches that half inning. Danny Jackson set down Pendelton, Tom Nieto and pinch hitter Brian Harper on nine consecutive strikes. Almost as rare as a perfect game, this is an Immaculate Inning and the only one in postseason history.

Two impressive and possibly unique pitching acheivments in the same inning of a WS game.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-19-2019, 11:10 PM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          ... In the 7th, Worrell repeated the feat, striking out Willie Wilson, George Brett and Frank White swing, for six straight swinging Ks. This is possibly a WS record but I have no confirmation.J
          This tied a record set by Moe Drabowsky of the Orioles in the 1966 WS against the Dodgers. Also, Hod Eller accomplished the same feat in the 1919 WS for the Reds against the "Black Sox". BTW, Eller also had an immaculate inning in 1917. Also, there have been 93 immaculate innings in MLB. 5 pitchers have done it more than once and Koufax did it 3 times. All 5 pitchers are HOFers except for Max Scherzer, who seems a good candidate to be in it one day.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            This tied a record set by Moe Drabowsky of the Orioles in the 1966 WS against the Dodgers. Also, Hod Eller accomplished the same feat in the 1919 WS for the Reds against the "Black Sox". BTW, Eller also had an immaculate inning in 1917. Also, there have been 93 immaculate innings in MLB. 5 pitchers have done it more than once and Koufax did it 3 times. All 5 pitchers are HOFers except for Max Scherzer, who seems a good candidate to be in it one day.
            I checked baseball-reference and they do not have whether Moe's strikeouts were swinging or looking. Do you have a source? Four of Hod Eller's Ks were looking.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              I checked baseball-reference and they do not have whether Moe's strikeouts were swinging or looking. Do you have a source? Four of Hod Eller's Ks were looking.

J
              I missed the "swinging" part. 6 consecutive K's in itself would have tied a record. I dont know whether Drabowsky's or Eller's K's were all swinging or not. But I dont see where Worrell struck out 6 in a row. This source lists Drabowsky and Eller but not Worrell: https://www.infoplease.com/people/ba...series-records. Do you have a source?
              Last edited by rhd; 01-21-2019, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Worrell struck out all six batters swinging in that game, per b-ref

Drabowsky was one of 4 pitchers the Orioles used in that 1966 series, along with SPs Dave McNally, Jim Palmer, and Wally Bunker (who threw a shutout at age 21 in his start).
                Last edited by Judge Jude; 01-21-2019, 01:59 AM.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

That was my source.

Still, a sixth consecutive K and an immaculate inning in the two halves of the same inning is a show stopper. I wonder how often both pitchers have struck out the side in a single inning, much less the World series or nine pitches.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                  X