Keepers!!! Valuable opinions wanted ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    If this were my team I would cut Stripling for Chirinos, Kinsler, or Santana. Depending on what is back in the auction, probably in that order.

With Stanton, you are gambling on health. Is it a good gamble? Two straight years of health, is the glass half empty or half full? Trending towards health or likely to get hurt. If he stays healthy, it seems last year could be the floor and 2017 the ceiling. That is very good. I would look at the hitters back in the auction. If he would be in the top 10 I would be keeping him.
    Thanks Gregg. I'm looking half full!

As for tossing Stripling back in, that might be a good idea.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I wouldn't keep Renfroe or Stripling, and Stanton is iffy. I would not replace them with other options. No reason to keep guys who don't bring value. If Stanton would go for $60+ maybe keep him. If it is a one-catcher 15-team league, I see no reason to keep Chirinos unless you like him more than the multiple $1 options at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        I wouldn't keep Renfroe or Stripling, and Stanton is iffy. I would not replace them with other options. No reason to keep guys who don't bring value. If Stanton would go for $60+ maybe keep him. If it is a one-catcher 15-team league, I see no reason to keep Chirinos unless you like him more than the multiple $1 options at that level.
        Thanks Cavebird.

Renfroe and Stripling are only $1. I think they are worth a flyer. Will there be better $1 players available at the auction? I'm not so sure.

I will say that Stanton would go for at least $60 in the auction.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Renfroe and Stripling are only $1. I think they are worth a flyer. Will there be better $1 players available at the auction? I'm not so sure.
          In a 14 team mixed there should be better options than Renfroe at $1.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            In a 14 team mixed there should be better options than Renfroe at $1.
            So you have little belief that he will hit 30+ HR with an average around .245-.250?

Comment

So you have little belief that he will hit 30+ HR with an average around .245-.250?
              That's probably close to his ceiling, and it also requires that he plays every day which looks unlikely considering the Padres OF depth.

Steamer has him hitting .246 with 17 HR across 350 AB, which would be below replacement value in your league. That's probably too pessimistic, although it does show you what happens if he's not playing every day.

It's possible that Renfroe hits close to his ceiling and he's worth $6, but that's not what you want out of a keeper, IMO. You can get that in dollar days.

Comment

I like Renfroe as a potential breakout candidate, so I can see keeping him for a buck. However, as Ken points out, there are other viable options for the Padres, who also have significant upside. So, there is risk in keeping and relying on Renfroe. I agree that you have safer keeper options. However, I disagree that his ceiling is a $6 player. Forecaster has his up as .270, 40, 100. I don't like him as much as they do, but IF he establishes himself as an everyday player over the several other also intriguing options, I think he can be a player you are happy you kept for a buck. He is a gamble, but I think his upside is more than a $6 player.

Comment

Here is Forecaster's complete blurb on Renfroe:

26-68-.248 in 403 AB at SD. The light finally turned on in 2nd half for this former top prospect; witness steady climb of HctX and xPX. He's no longer just a lefty-masher either, as shown by elite PX vR. With another year of Eye growth, there's something big lurking here...finally. UP: .270-40-100

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I like Renfroe as a potential breakout candidate, so I can see keeping him for a buck. However, as Ken points out, there are other viable options for the Padres, who also have significant upside. So, there is risk in keeping and relying on Renfroe. I agree that you have safer keeper options. However, I disagree that his ceiling is a $6 player. Forecaster has his up as .270, 40, 100. I don't like him as much as they do, but IF he establishes himself as an everyday player over the several other also intriguing options, I think he can be a player you are happy you kept for a buck. He is a gamble, but I think his upside is more than a $6 player.
                    Misquoted me slightly, I said "close" to his ceiling. Going for realistic numbers here, obviously the true ceiling for all players is higher than what we quote as reasonable ceilings.

Comment

Thinking about keeping Wacha for $3 and/or Boxberger for $4 instead of Stanton.

Also what about Andrelton instead of Renfroe as both are $1.

Thoughts?

Comment

Thoughts?
                        Keep Stanton, not those cheap, easily replaceable dudes. Simmons is the safer keep over Renfroe, but Renfroe has the upside I'd want as a $1 mixed league keeper.

Comment

Thoughts?
                          Wacha was on his way to a great year in 2018 before injuries derailed his season and 8 earned runs vs the Cubs inflated his ratios.

Boxberger will get you saves and k's, but hurt your ratios.

Andrelton is solid but not spectacular (mediocre) and the SS position is deep this year.

Renfro and Stripling have playing time concerns. But, the Padres won't let their former 1st round pick waste away on the bench and the Dodgers have 3 injury -prone SPs, so there's hope for them.

OF - J.D. Martinez $51b
                          OF - Giancarlo Stanton $50b
                          OF - Stephen Piscotty $2a
                          OF - Hunter Renfroe $1a
                          SP - Jacob deGrom $56a
                          SP - Ross Stripling $1a
                          SP - Joey Lucchesi $1a
                          SP - Michael Wacha $3a
                          RP - Brad Hand $6b
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Keep Stanton, not those cheap, easily replaceable dudes. Simmons is the safer keep over Renfroe, but Renfroe has the upside I'd want as a $1 mixed league keeper.
                              This.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                                Wacha was on his way to a great year in 2018 before injuries derailed his season and 8 earned runs vs the Cubs inflated his ratios.

Boxberger will get you saves and k's, but hurt your ratios.

Andrelton is solid but not spectacular (mediocre) and the SS position is deep this year.

Renfro and Stripling have playing time concerns. But, the Padres won't let their former 1st round pick waste away on the bench and the Dodgers have 3 injury -prone SPs, so there's hope for them.

OF - J.D. Martinez $51b
                                OF - Giancarlo Stanton $50b
                                OF - Stephen Piscotty $2a
                                OF - Hunter Renfroe $1a
                                SP - Jacob deGrom $56a
                                SP - Ross Stripling $1a
                                SP - Joey Lucchesi $1a
                                SP - Michael Wacha $3a
                                RP - Brad Hand $6b
                                Keepers due by midnight tonight so one last bump.

I am probably going to keep Andrelton as my last keeper for $1 instead of Wacha for $3. Neither excites me, but at least Simmons doesn't hurt in any categories and contributes something in every category.

Comment

Working...
                                X