Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libertarianism and the balance between individual rights and anti-interventionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    I think the removal of the Taliban ultimately benefited the Afghan people, although I agree it's terribly hard to justify with any cost-benefit analysis given the costs of the ongoing conflict to American and Afghan lives. Our interventions in both Afghanistan and Iraq also did help the Kurdish people in both countries, despite the broader strategic and operational failures. That's why I put those two with question marks, but I can accept that the overall cost-to-benefit ratio is a tough sell, so when you reply, focus on the other ones I listed, lol.
    Huh?

The Taliban have strengthened their grip in Afghanistan over the past three years, according to a new report released by the US government's own ombudsman of the war.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

For the broader purposes of this thread, Afghanistan is probably a terrible case study. So although one can argue that Taliban control over 12.5% of Afghan districts is a lot better than the near total control the mullahs had in 2001, I'll officially withdraw my half-hearted, mealy-mouthed inclusion of Afghanistan on the list of successful US military interventions.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        I'd probably divide this question into military interventions and non-military interventions. Successful US military interventions:

WWI
        WWII
        Korea
        Kuwait
        Haiti
        Bosnia
        Kosovo
        Afghanistan? (debatable)
        Kurdistan? (debatable)

But certainly none of those were "incredible failures in nearly every regard".

One could argue that WWII and Afghanistan don't count because they were only initiated following direct attacks on the US homeland, but I think the others count, no?

As for successful interventions in the form of diplomacy, foreign aid, or the prospect of military defense, etc, there are too many to count. The Marshall Plan, The Cold War and NATO ultimately helped lead to the greater freedom and quality of life in much of Europe, no? We also helped South Korea and Japan to become thriving democracies and economies. Our foreign aid and support has helped Colombia become much better for its people (and the world). We've had a lot of success mitigating health crises in Sub-Saharan Africa, including AIDS and malaria.
        I think if we limit discussion to interventions this century we have a great record of failure: Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Yemen...and you haven't listed any successes in the last 25 years or so. I don't really think WWI and WWII are particularly relevant to this discussion. Those are things you only do if you can't avoid them. Several of the other ones you list I don't think are so clear cut.

So I guess we more or less agree on foreign aid aspects, but I'm apparently a much tougher grader and have a strong recency bias. Amending my claim --Pretty much every military intervention in the 21st century has been a complete disaster while costing trillions of dollars.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

John Mearsheimer's new book, The Great Delusion: Liberal Dreams and International Realities might be of interest.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            John Mearsheimer's new book, The Great Delusion: Liberal Dreams and International Realities might be of interest.
            probably not much of interest is my guess.
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Looks like Bill Weld is putting his toe in the 2020 GOP primary race.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                Looks like Bill Weld is putting his toe in the 2020 GOP primary race.
                That would be awesome.
                Edit: Just read his remarks from this morning’s announcement. He really went after Trump.

Comment

To bad he wont run as a Libertarian, but Im sure he left there with a bad taste after Johnson's inability to just talk sometimes.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                  Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                    To bad he wont run as a Libertarian, but Im sure he left there with a bad taste after Johnson's inability to just talk sometimes.
                    If he loses the GOP nomination, he presumably could still then run in the general election as a Libertarian, if the Libertarian Party offers him their nomination, no?

Comment

I would love to see him run as the Libertarian from the get go. Otherwise it just looks like an expedient way to stay in the race.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

I would love to see him run as the Libertarian from the get go. Otherwise it just looks like an expedient way to stay in the race.
                        I like the idea of him debating and contesting Trump's re-nomination, setting forth clearly and in detail how anti-liberty Trump has been and how big a threat he is to liberty.

Comment

Liberty - the one pillar that it seems is most often forgotten by BOTH parties.

lib·er·ty
                          /ˈlibərdē/
                          noun
                          the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

Comment

Liberty - the one pillar that it seems is most often forgotten by BOTH parties.

lib·er·ty
                            /ˈlibərdē/
                            noun
                            the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.
                            This country was founded on denying the liberty of Native Americans, African slaves, and women. Your incessant denial of our history and focus on a piece of paper is incredible.
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

How about the liberty of all the victims of the wars we've been fighting for the past 240 years?
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                This country was founded on denying the liberty of Native Americans, African slaves, and women. Your incessant denial of our history and focus on a piece of paper is incredible.
                                DMT -
                                I have not ever denied any of the things that you mentioned above. There is no incessant denial of what occurred. I honestly believe that those words can and should be applied to everyone in this country. We - all citizens of this country - should be able to partake in the Liberty that was one of the ideals of the Founding Fathers.

The more times we ask government to run our lives the less liberty we have.

Comment

Working...
                                X