Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Libertarianism and the balance between individual rights and anti-interventionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    I'm sure this gives a better overview than I could.

https://www.epi.org/publication/a-fi...r-main-street/
    So essentially some type of tax on the sale of investment vehicles as a means of putting more money in the governments coffers.

From the article "A well-designed financial transaction tax (FTT)—a small levy placed on the sale of stocks, bonds, derivatives, and other investments—would be an efficient and progressive way to generate tax revenues."

Yeah, I would probably stay away from this one as it seems to be just another money grab for the federal government. Plus, I would imagine that the cost of these transactions would be "deductible" to the individual selling for a "gain" as it would be double taxing the same dollar. Unless of course you exclude it from the reported gain on their tax form or provide some documentation to the client as to the amount of levies they paid during the year to then reduce their taxable debt.

As I breeze through the article - it seems that much of the focus for this "progressive" tax is actually wealth re-distribution.

"Gross revenues from a well-designed FTT would likely range from $110 billion to $403 billion. And net revenues (including offsets from reduced income, payroll and capital gains taxes, and increased borrowing costs) would likely be substantially higher than some other recent estimates indicate. This is mainly because other estimates’ assumptions about the volume of financial transactions an FTT would crowd out are too high, and because an FTT is likely to redistribute rather than reduce overall incomes."
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

And why would we want wealth redistribution when we have vast inequality?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In the US, the average CEO makes 475x the average worker at their companies. Most other countries have a ratio in the teens. But let's tax them less.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

John Mearsheimer's new book, The Great Delusion: Liberal Dreams and International Realities might be of interest.
          Just saw this article today (link below). We don't seem to have many supporters of the Afghan war around here anymore, but if we do it would be interesting to hear a rebuttal. It's just amazing what an absolute disaster it has been.

It has been more than nine years since I resigned in protest over the escalation of the Afghan War from my position as a Political Officer with the US State Department in Afghanistan. It had been my third time to war, along with several years of working in positions effecting war policy in Washington, DC with the Department of Defense (DOD) and the State Department. My resignation in 2009 was not taken lightly by my superiors and my reasons for opposing President Obama’s “surge” in Afghanistan found support amongst both military officers and civilian officials at senior levels in Kabul and Washington.
          ---------------------------------------------
          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            Just saw this article today (link below). We don't seem to have many supporters of the Afghan war around here anymore, but if we do it would be interesting to hear a rebuttal. It's just amazing what an absolute disaster it has been.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/02...d-to-the-lies/
            Ugh, nauseating.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Ugh, nauseating.
              I just hate how articles like this are banished to the left wing and alternate websites, while neocons and the pro-military stuff is mainstream. Lots of money in fighting wars I guess
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I just hate how articles like this are banished to the left wing and alternate websites, while neocons and the pro-military stuff is mainstream. Lots of money in fighting wars I guess
                relating this to the libertarian aspect, there is no money in selling peace, but you can make a shitload selling war. So I guess it is inevitable that war will win out.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

relating this to the libertarian aspect, there is no money in selling peace, but you can make a shitload selling war. So I guess it is inevitable that war will win out.
                  War is the American Way, always has been and always will be.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'd love to hear a response from B-Fly in particular of any of the others who supported the endless war in Afghanistan. Or maybe 1J wants to remind us again about all the benefits we got from our victory in Iraq.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

all we should do with afghanistan at this point is consider it our "live fire training grounds". Pick a spot, base 200k troops there, rotate them every 9 months and make sure every unit in the Army/Air Force/Marines gets live fire training against actual aggressors. We can also test new weapon designs
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

nine months in Afghanistan, 3 months in Germany to cool down/assess who is insane, rotate back to the US
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                          all we should do with afghanistan at this point is consider it our "live fire training grounds". Pick a spot, base 200k troops there, rotate them every 9 months and make sure every unit in the Army/Air Force/Marines gets live fire training against actual aggressors. We can also test new weapon designs
                          you've been saying that for years. How does that help anyone ? It only costs 50 billion dollars a year though, so I guess there's that. Actually estimates I've seen are between 500,000 and 2 million dollars per soldier per year. So I guess it would be $100 -400 Billion per year.
                          Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 02-17-2019, 12:08 PM.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            nine months in Afghanistan, 3 months in Germany to cool down/assess who is insane, rotate back to the US
                            great plan. What's it cost for 200000 troops in Afghanistan every year. what are we getting out of it ?
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

As evidenced by Fresno Bob's post...yeah let's spend billions of dollars to go kill random people to train for the next useless war. Murica !!!
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

you've been saying that for years. How does that help anyone ? It only costs 50 billion dollars a year though, so I guess there's that. Actually estimates I've seen are between 500,000 and 2 million dollars per soldier per year. So I guess it would be $100 -400 Billion per year.
                                it still would be cheaper than what we are doing now in Afghanistan

Comment

Working...
                                X