Bob Dylan song draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder what a much younger Bob Dylan might have thought about that.

Would Young Bob approve of Old Bob hobnobbing with The Masters Of War? Would he have counseled him to use the forum to make a statement about drone strikes, perhaps?

Does Old Bob still think it's important to note that "Even the president of the United States must sometimes have to stand naked"?

The Ghost Of Young Bob visits Old Bob before the White House ceremony - now there's an idea for a movie or a play...
    Surely Old Bob would quote Churchill: "If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain".
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I think old Bob is angling of a Secret Service gig ... needs to get a haircut.

Comment

• Dylan working on follow up to Chronicles.

'bout time ... Volume 1 was excellent.

Comment

• Anyone heard the new album yet? Thoughts?
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
            Anyone heard the new album yet? Thoughts?
            I heard a couple of songs on the radio ... not bad on the first few listens. As a Dylan fan it would certainly make me want to buy the record ... although there was nothing original or that inventive musically from the tunes I heard.

Comment

• Saw my fourth Dylan show last night. Heyelander was there, too.

Susquehanna Bank Arts Center, Camden, NJ 07/28/13

Things Have Changed
              Love Sick
              High Water (For Charley Patton)
              Soon After Midnight
              Early Roman Kings
              Tangled Up In Blue
              Duquesne Whistle
              She Belongs To Me
              Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
              A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
              Blind Willie McTell
              Simple Twist Of Fate
              Summer Days
              All Along The Watchtower
              E: Ballad Of A Thin Man

I had NO idea he played High Water, She Belongs to Me, or Blind Willie McTell. What I heard sounded nothing like the versions I know. He finally stumped me on the "guess the song" game that he's been playing for years.

But, once again I got "the good Bob." He was engaged and enthusiastic for the whole set, and his band worked a hell of a groove all night, the highest points being Summer Days and Watchtower. I also found it neat that he rearranged "Beyond Here Lies Nothin'" to sound a bit like "Black Magic Woman."

Comment

• Looks like a great set list. I had High Water as my 7th round pick in the draft.

Blind Willie McTell must have been a treat. I remember there was some kind of story about how it wasn't released until many years after it was recorded, then not played live by Bob for a while after than.

Here's the set list from the only time I got to see him, back in 2002:

Duncan And Brady
                Mr. Tambourine Man
                It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
                Searching For A Soldier's Grave
                Maggie's Farm
                Positively 4th Street
                Cry A While
                High Water (For Charley Patton)
                A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
                One Too Many Mornings
                Tangled Up In Blue
                Summer Days
                Sugar Baby
                Drifter's Escape
                Rainy Day Women #12 & 35
                Like A Rolling Stone
                Honest With Me
                Blowin' In The Wind
                All Along The Watchtower

Comment

• Looks like he played 4 of my picks, if I remember the draft correctly: Things Have Changed, Love Sick, Beyond Here Lies Nothin', Blind Willie McTell.

Comment

• Racist Bob?

Linky - http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

Originally posted by CNN
                    Less than a month ago Bob Dylan could justifiably feel he was revered in France. The singer was in Paris to receive France's highest public award, the Legion d'Honneur.

As France's most prestigious medal was pinned to Dylan's lapel, his French hosts heaped praise on the 72-year-old legend for his contribution to music -- and notably his songs inspired by French poets Rimbaud and Verlaine.

It was impossible to predict that, only three weeks later, Dylan would be embroiled in an ugly controversy that has resulted in preliminary charges against him in France for inciting racial hatred.

Ironically, Dylan's comments were made about America, not France. In a Rolling Stone interview published in 2012, the singer was quoted as saying: "If you got a slave master or Klan in your blood, blacks can sense that. That stuff lingers to this day. Just like Jews can sense Nazi blood and the Serbs can sense Croatian blood."

A Croatian group in France pressed charges against Dylan for his remarks. Now Dylan, who has performed in both Croatia and Serbia, finds himself in legal trouble in France for comments he made last year about racism in America.

The Croatian group claimed that Dylan was equating all Croatians with the small minority of Croatian war criminals.
                    Has he been mixin' up the medicine, or what?
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I don't think there's anything particularly racist ... poor phrasing, insensitive and a little ignorant perhaps ... but not racist.

Comment

• Dylan has always said provocative shit just for the hell of it. Last year he told Rolling Stone that his soul died in the 1966 motorcycle crash and was replaced by that of another Robert Zimmerman who died in a motorcycle crash in 1961.

Comment

• Bob Dylan has sold his entire catalog of songs, which encompasses more than 600 songs over 60 years, in a "landmark agreement" with Universal Music Publishing Group.

The agreement between Dylan and the company was announced Monday. It's a major shift for the singer and songwriter, who has controlled much of his own intellectual property according to multiple reports. Financial terms weren't disclosed, but the New York Times says it's estimated at more than $300 million.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/media...log/index.html
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I would guess that has to do with end-of-life estate planning. Money is the easiest thing to divide.

As much as we hate to think about that, he is almost 80.

Comment

Working...
                            X