Which Side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Side

This is a 14 team points league, $400 cap. 1 catcher.

Group A:

Kris Bryant
    Justin Upton
    Chrs Taylor
    Adam Ottavino
    Yadier Molina

Total cost: $63

Group B:

Carlos Santana
    Travis Shaw
    Justin Turner
    Justin Smoak
    Charlie Morton

Plus Bo Bichette and Nate Pearson added in minors on this side.

Total cost: $48, but three three of these guys are due for extension, so this could be closer to group a total, depending on extension.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 01-11-2019, 07:41 PM.

Related question, tipping my hand about what I started with and what I traded for, I have extension decisions for the following:

Travis Shaw $2
    Justin Smoak $5
    Charlie Morton $4

Extend any of them or ride them out? Remember, $400 cap. I also traded 4 years of Bryant at 25 to get this haul, and part of me wants to extend someone so I'm get more than one year out of at least part of my return.

Comment

I'd probably keep group A, I like to have the best player, and Bryant is that guy, IMO. So group A for me...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I've made some more moves too further strengthen my minors, as that is the preferred currency for dumpers in my league. We have 20 minor league spots, and the $400 cap leads teams to keep top prospects a very long time, giving them added value. These moves freed up spots to allow me to keep molina and taylor again. Here is the new comparison, if anyone wants to chime in with feedback:

Players Traded:

Kris Bryant
        Justin Upton
        Adam Ottavino

Players Traded For:

Carlos Santana
        Travis Shaw
        Justin Smoak

And Minor leaguers:

Bo Bichette
        Matt Manning
        Brusdar Graterol
        Nick Gordon (may not keep)
        Anthony Alford (may not keep)

With 14 teams and 20 man minor league rosters, we go fairly deep with 280 players. Even still, in a mixed league, I'm not sure Nick Gordon has the upside to keep over a draft pick, and Alford's health puts him in the same boat. Would love feedback on that, and on the three better prospects I got. Were they enough to offset the production losses I took in the majors, or the keeper value I lost in Bryant signed at $25 for three more years?

I do plan on extending Shaw a year at 8 bucks. I plan on riding out Santana at 24 and Smoak at 5. So, long term, losing Bryant hurts, but I like the prospects I got back, and it breaks up the value I had to allow me to make more moves in season to try to 3peat.

Comment

I am not sure I am following your league dynamics correctly.

As a Cubs fan I do have concerns about Bryant's shoulder as well as his "new" swing.

As a fantasy player I would love to have Bichette on my team.

I hope it works out for you.

Comment

I'm with Hornsby. While it is pretty close, I think A is a little better. The minor leaguers are nice, but nothing close to a sure thing there. On the positive side, the B side isn't that much worse, and the money makes it close. I don't see anyone in that group that I would extend; you could extend any of them, but none of them have big upside, so I'd just take the profit. Maybe extend Shaw, but I am not sure there, either.

Comment

I've had a very active preseason, making lots of deals. Here is an update of where I started and where I am now. I'm curious if folks still think I may have done more harm than good for my team. Again, I want to win this year, so that is my primary concern. But I gutted my minors winning b2b titles, and I felt the only way to restock the minors, which I think is essential for dump deals in season, was to trade one of my big time keepers--Bryant.

14 team mixed points league, 15 keepers, 20 minor leaguers, $400 auction budget.

Traded Away:
              Kris Bryant 25L4 (L stands for long term, so under contract for 4 years)
              Justin Upton 30 (option year)
              Yadier Molina 3
              Brad Boxberger 1
              Minor leaguer: Nathaniel Lowe

Traded for:
              Ozzie Albies 5 (option year--how long should I extend?)
              Aaron Hicks 1 (option year--how long should I extend?)
              Carlos Santana 24
              Justin Smoak 5
              Minor leaguers: Carter Kieboom, Yordan Alvarez, Tyler O'Neill, Isaac Paredes, O'Neill Cruz, Bursdar Graterol, Hans Crouse, and Nate Pearson.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-12-2019, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Without know the points distribution in the points in this league, it is impossible to tell. Gut said Group A in the original post was much, much more valuable, but if the points make it more or less an OBP league (which is often true), it is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  Without know the points distribution in the points in this league, it is impossible to tell. Gut said Group A in the original post was much, much more valuable, but if the points make it more or less an OBP league (which is often true), it is a different story.
                  My further traded made it so my last post is now the comparison. I lose a lot from Bryant to Albies, but I like having Aaron Hicks, Carlos Santana and Smoak more than Upton, Molina and Boxberger in a 1 catcher points league--empty saves are pretty useless in our scoring system that favors era, whip, and Ks. Plus I added 8 top 100 prospects that I know I can flip for a ton late in the season. I'm figuring the majors are close enough that all those prospects will put the deals in the clear win column when I use them to trade up from dumpers late. That's my plan, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I've had a very active preseason, making lots of deals. Here is an update of where I started and where I am now. I'm curious if folks still think I may have done more harm than good for my team. Again, I want to win this year, so that is my primary concern. But I gutted my minors winning b2b titles, and I felt the only way to restock the minors, which I think is essential for dump deals in season, was to trade one of my big time keepers--Bryant.

14 team mixed points league, 15 keepers, 20 minor leaguers, $400 auction budget.

Traded Away:
                    Yadier Molina 3
                    Brad Boxberger 1
                    Minor leaguer: Nathaniel Lowe

Traded for:
                    Carlos Santana 24
                    Justin Smoak 5
                    Minor leaguers: Carter Kieboom, Yordan Alvarez, Tyler O'Neill, Isaac Paredes, O'Neill Cruz, Bursdar Graterol, Hans Crouse, and Nate Pearson.
                    I'd probably only go a year on Hicks, but at least 2 on Albies. At a $400 cap, I guess you could talk me into 3 years but I feel like there's more of a chance that last year is what he is than people expect.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I'd probably only go a year on Hicks, but at least 2 on Albies. At a $400 cap, I guess you could talk me into 3 years but I feel like there's more of a chance that last year is what he is than people expect.
                      I'm okay with Albie's being what he was last year. As on as he isn't what he was in the second half!

Comment

Ok, so I've now flipped some of the prospect assets I got in my previous deals for Tommy Pham. I wanted to get yet another take on where I am now. Do folks still think I'd have been better off not making any of these deals? I still miss Bryant, but I like the players I've acquired. I'm also looking for feedback on extending Pham.

Traded Away/Lost:
                        Yadier Molina 3
                        Brad Boxberger 1
                        Chris Taylor 5 (I didn't trade him, but I can't keep him anymore now that I acquired Pham
                        Minor leaguer: Nathaniel Lowe and Eric Pardinho

Traded for/New Keepers:
                        Tommy Pham 5 (option year--how long should I extend?)
                        Carlos Santana 24
                        Justin Smoak 5
                        Minor leaguers: Carter Kieboom, Tyler O'Neill, Isaac Paredes, O'Neill Cruz, Bursdar Graterol, Hans Crouse, and Nate Pearson.

I'm excited to have Pham, and I want to extend him, but he scares the heck out of me with his eye issues and how streaky they seem to make him. I feel like I'd be leaving a ton of value not giving him another year though. What do you all think?

Comment

Wow, I'd easily take Bryant over any of your current keepers.
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Wow, I'd easily take Bryant over any of your current keepers.
                            Well, I have other keepers, including Lindor, Cole, Bauer, Snell, Diaz.... We keep 15. I lacked depth and felt I needed to trade one of my elite keepers to get it. I chose Bryant to move and got Santana, Smoak, Allbies, Hicks, Pham, and restocked my minors. I think the total value of the 5 keepers I gained is at least equal to the 5 I lost, plus I have way more prospects now that I can deal in season. That is needed to win in my league, and I really want to three-peat.

ETA: To illustrate the value of the prospects I got, I could flip 3 of them right now for 25L1 Goldy. But I already have Santana and Smoak, so I'm not sure I want to lock up my utility spot for now, and I know I can get an expiring stud in season for those prospects.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-19-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Well, I have other keepers, including Lindor, Cole, Bauer, Snell, Diaz.... We keep 15. I lacked depth and felt I needed to trade one of my elite keepers to get it. I chose Bryant to move and got Santana, Smoak, Allbies, Hicks, Pham, and restocked my minors. I think the total value of the 5 keepers I gained is at least equal to the 5 I lost, plus I have way more prospects now that I can deal in season. That is needed to win in my league, and I really want to three-peat.

ETA: To illustrate the value of the prospects I got, I could flip 3 of them right now for 25L1 Goldy. But I already have Santana and Smoak, so I'm not sure I want to lock up my utility spot for now, and I know I can get an expiring stud in season for those prospects.
                              Yea, I didn't look at all the previous info about your league. But I see Goldy as a HUGE upgrade over Santana.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X