Farm Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm Systems

Through the years I can remember a handful of prospect crops that everyone expected to yield Championships. In the 1970s it was the Reggie Jackson, Joe Rudi, Sal Bando A's. They won three titles. In the 1980s it was the Gaetti, Puckett, Hrbeck Twins that won a title in 1991. A decade ago it was the KC Royals group of Hosmer, Moustakas, and Perez. They won in 2015. Of course, there are also great expectations that fell flat, say the Palmeiro, Sierra, Gonzalez Rangers of the 1990s.

Who has that crop today, eg Atlanta, with Acuna, Albies, Riley and a raft of AAA pitchers?

Rate the top organizations on four criteria:
    1. Major League ready Talent
    2. Talent Depth
    3. Star Quality
    4. Organization (Teaching skills, consistency, talent evaluation)

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

A very interesting and fun question. It’s always dependent on the point in time in which you measure it. The Braves have a strong system, for example, but Acuna and Albies are in the majors now. So if they are no longer part of the “system”, that radically limits the depth. Same for Washington with Juan Soto’s promotion. I’ll have to revisit the systems and see who’s still in the minors.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      The Braves have a strong system, for example, but Acuna and Albies are in the majors now. So if they are no longer part of the “system”, that radically limits the depth.
      Actually they have a ridiculous amount of depth. Acuna/Albies graduating reduced the top end some, but the depth of pitching prospects they have is crazy. I'd be surprised if they didn't flip some of that for improvements on the offensive side.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Actually they have a ridiculous amount of depth. Acuna/Albies graduating reduced the top end some, but the depth of pitching prospects they have is crazy. I'd be surprised if they didn't flip some of that for improvements on the offensive side.
        I hear you on depth, Ken, but impact and depth are two different things. Also, cost controlled hitting studs are the stuff of championships. And there aren’t many adage Stewart types trading top hitting prospects for Shelby Millers these days.

Comment

Working...
        X