Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Democrats and those that lean a little left.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Democrats and those that lean a little left.

Do you have any good friends in your walking around life that are Republicans or lean a little right?

I am not talking about a nice acquaintance, but a true friend?

If not could you become good friends with a righty?

My best friend is a full blown Trump fan. Granted we don't hang out all that much anymore but that was true before the Trump thing.

In fact more people in my circle are more conservative including many Trump supporters, than are not. It's a bit frustrating because you can't really have a conversation about anything political without getting jumped down your throat. I tend to bite my tongue and not say anything most of the time.

Comment

Yeah. Trump fans as a group are almost as cutthroat as this forum.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I guess this bucket fits me. I'm not sure if I lean left. I only lean a little bit left of where I was in my 20's, when I was about as dyed-in-the-wool Republican as you could get, but I feel like the Republican Party (which was left of me at that time), has moved about 20 miles to the right of where they stood then.

So yes, I have a bunch of people in my life that lean way more right than I do, including virtually all of my family and in-laws. Most of my good friends I don't talk much politics with, although I know some of them lean much more right than I do. I don't have super close "best friends" like I did when I was in school, other than my wife.

I would have no issue becoming very close friends with a true conservative. I would have issues becoming very close friends with an enthusiastic Trump supporter, as he stands for things I find completely repugnant.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I have a couple good friends who are Republicans but they both despise Trump. If either were raging Trumpets I doubt we'd remain friends.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I live in the heartland of Republican county. My father and Mother are Republicans. My whole bowling team but me are die hard trumpets. ( which I think is different the Republicans). I am a registered Republican that has voted for Reagan, Bush 1, Bush 2(tho not proudly) but also voted for Obama. But wanted Kasich in 2016. I despise Trump not only as our President but as a Human being and have little patience for any True Trumpers and less respect for True Republicans that know he is horrible but won’t speak up or put a stop to it. My Mother did not vote for trump but my Dad did. He won’t again.

Comment

Two of the best friends I have in the world are conservatives, guys I would take a bullet for. We don't talk politics anymore, though. One of them is a hard core Trumper.

(Two doesn't sound like many, but that's probably half the number of guys I would take a bullet for.)
              Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM.
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

We Canadians are a simpler bunch I guess. Very few people here pay much attention to politics day to day. Even fewer brand themselves as Liberals or Conservatives. Choosing friends based on political leanings is truly a foreign concept for us, no pun intended.

Hockey, curling and baseball consume our days.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                  Two of the best friends I have in the world are conservatives, guys I would take a bullet for. We don't talk politics anymore, though. One of them is a hard core Trumper.

(Two doesn't sound like many, but that's probably half the number of guys I would take a bullet for.)
                  Four is higher than the number of guys I'd take a bullet for. (Nearly all those I'd take a bullet for are female)
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                    We Canadians are a simpler bunch I guess. Very few people here pay much attention to politics day to day. Even fewer brand themselves as Liberals or Conservatives. Choosing friends based on political leanings is truly a foreign concept for us, no pun intended.

I don't disagree; but I would add that the values that I have align more with those who lean left, so while I do have acquaintances & family that lean right (in some cases heavily), my closer friends don't. Could I? Maybe, but I'm not sure ... I don't know that I would want to be close friends with someone who strongly advocates for private health care, or wants to significantly tighten immigration policies, or remove social support mechanisms, or other things that I value.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Four is higher than the number of guys I'd take a bullet for. (Nearly all those I'd take a bullet for are female)
                      I lost a girlfriend in high school, because it came up that I'd take a bullet for just about anyone. At the time, I felt it would be a good way to die to save someone else, anyone else. It came up because she thought I was dumb when I saw some guy snatch a necklace from another girl and I ran after him (I did not catch him, and would have gotten my ass kicked if I did, but that was my instinct at the time). It turns out, she wanted to feel special, and wanted me to only take a bullet for her. She was annoyed I'd risk myself on instinct to help some other random girl get her property back.

I must say, now that I'm older and have more responsibilities, I don't think I'd take a bullet for anyone but my family. I have two young boys I want to be there for. I'm far less reckless than I was in my youth.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

Do the French Canadians feel the same.

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
                          Do the French Canadians feel the same.
                          it's a good question, esp. the baseball part since they lost the expos, but there's a strong movement there to get another mlb team. And yes, they're pretty passionate about hockey & curling.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I definitely have friends and family members who are conservative, including a few who support Trump. I'm not sure what your definition of "true friend" is. Since I got married and had kids and moved to the suburbs, I'm not sure how I would even define "true friends" any more, since everything revolves around the kids for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              it's a good question, esp. the baseball part since they lost the expos, but there's a strong movement there to get another mlb team. And yes, they're pretty passionate about hockey & curling.
                              it has been awhile since I been up there but they were passionate about there politics too at one time

Comment

Working...
                              X