Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftinction Fvent
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Flip Flops

"Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Final Four
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Fast Forward, dudes.

Jeez. Fuck.
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
            Fast Forward, dudes.

Jeez. Fuck.
            Foul Fonetics
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
              Fast Forward, dudes.

Jeez. Fuck.
              Do I get any credit for posting Gal Gadot's feet?
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                *Fal Fadot's
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                  *Fal Fadot's
                  Fal Fadot's geet?

Comment

Of course you do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Even if it is not infinite, we know there are at least 2 trillion other galaxies. I don't get why you believe what happened with us is not likely to have occurred more than once in 2 trillion galaxies. I have it on good authority that 2 trillion is a pretty big number. In fact, it would take you 64,000 years to count to 2 trillion counting 1 number per second, 24 hurs a day. Then multiply that by the billions of star systems. There is just no way we are it.
                      After reading this thread, I am not sure there is intelligent life on this planet. I am not willing to rule out the whole universe, just this whole galaxy.

That said, as a mathematician, I have some experience dealing with the difference between large numbers and infinity. 27.6 billion light years, 2,000,000,000,000 galaxies, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (10^24) stars. These are impressive numbers until you realize we routinely expand Mandelbrot's set more than that.

24 zeroes seem like a lot until you start dropping them two or three at a time. It is not difficult to develop a filter that is opaque. In our context, that means one where the expected number of intelligent beings is zero for the entire life of the entire universe. In such a universe we would be an outlier, a statistical freak. With only a trillion trillion other stars, it is easy to believe it never happens again. It certainly fits the evidence.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        After reading this thread, I am not sure there is intelligent life on this planet. I am not willing to rule out the whole universe, just this whole galaxy.

That said, as a mathematician, I have some experience dealing with the difference between large numbers and infinity. 27.6 billion light years, 2,000,000,000,000 galaxies, 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (10^24) stars. These are impressive numbers until you realize we routinely expand Mandelbrot's set more than that.

24 zeroes seem like a lot until you start dropping them two or three at a time. It is not difficult to develop a filter that is opaque. In our context, that means one where the expected number of intelligent beings is zero for the entire life of the entire universe. In such a universe we would be an outlier, a statistical freak. With only a trillion trillion other stars, it is easy to believe it never happens again. It certainly fits the evidence.

J
                        I think you may be wearing me down. Not that I agree with your argument, I just find your posts boring now.

Comment

Nope. As far as feet go those are not her strong suit.

Well actually I spoke too soon. You should get credit as pictures of her feet are probably hard to find. She would be the one not getting the credit.

Comment

• well I'm pretty sure we all agree that there isn't life on Jupiter, but this is a gorgeous image released by nasa this week ...

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• I like the little red spot. It's probably the size of Brazil.

I wonder how much color enhancement they are using.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                                I like the little red spot. It's probably the size of Brazil.

I wonder how much color enhancement they are using.

J
                                I was thinking it's probably the size of earth!
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X