10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    At one time flying a few hundred feet was hard and dangerous...now not so much. Why would a civilization that is a billion years older than us have issues with movement between solar systems?

If you are on the side that the law of large numbers dictates that there must be intelligent life out there, would you contend that none of them are more advanced than we are?
    I'm counting on it, but I'm also counting on the fact that they are using VonNewman replicating probes and the odds that their probes roll while we are sentient enough to notice them are infintesimal
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
      Answer 1: Because Fresno said so.
      Answer 2: One J won't acknowledge that movement between solar systems is dangerous and hard. When Kevin Seitzer indicated the number of deaths we've had in our own attempts to get off the planet, he didn't even get into cosmic rays and how the human body would atrophy in space.
      I mention cosmic rays and nobody makes a Fantastic Four reference? This place used to be so much fun.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
        I'm counting on it, but I'm also counting on the fact that they are using VonNewman replicating probes and the odds that their probes roll while we are sentient enough to notice them are infintesimal
        Replicating probes would be a good name for probes that replicate.

Comment

he didn't even get into cosmic rays and how the human body would atrophy in space.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            I get it.

Comment

I get it.
              Thank you.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I get it.
                I don't, help me Steve 2.0, you are my only hope
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I don't, help me Steve 2.0, you are my only hope
                  It's "a trophy in space" (atrophy in space)

Comment

ah, excuse my stupid please

Comment

Stop trolling please.

Comment

Stop trolling please.
                        I can't! It's the only reason I came back.

Comment

John Ringo wrote a book about such probes. His coauthor Travis Taylor is a PhD Physicist.

Spoiler!

Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I can't! It's the only reason I came back.
                            Steve's Mean would be a great name for a band.

Comment

Steve's Mean would be a great name for a band.
                              Actually, it would be an "average" name for a band! Math joke!

Comment

Actually, it would be an "average" name for a band! Math joke!
                                I responded in the other thread before seeing this ... I think I should be worried ...
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X