10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Space and time are aspects of the same thing. They are not separate things. What you perceive as time some other observer elsewhere in the universe perceives as space, and vice versa.
    Perception is, of course, critical. We perceive a finite universe and a finite past.

Even in the distant things we perceive things could vary materially. In every direction, the things furthest away are also moving fastest which could suggest a variety of things. We could be near the center and moving slowly relative to the center. Things might be collapsing toward the center and we a part of the collapse. Things might collapsing toward the center and we are on the fringe, either expanding or collapsing. It could be an illusion caused by factors that are not well understood. Cosmology is complicated.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    I just want to be clear on your claims. You don't believe there is another intelligent life in the galaxy, but will you admit that Fermi's paradox does NOT offer compelling evidence that we are alone in the whole universe?

ETA: Also, I'm not talking about a repeating universe. Check out Brian Cox's theory of a potential multiverse. It isn't a closed system.
    I will restrict myself to the galaxy. Even the local cluster is too far away at sublight speeds. Not so our galaxy. A single megayear and we would span it all.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I will restrict myself to the galaxy.
      J
      Me too, dude, me too.
      “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Most of the proposed answers to the Fermi Paradox fill me with existential dread
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Most of the proposed answers to the Fermi Paradox fill me with existential dread
          So, it's good we are alone. Fiction, of the sort in the OP, is the stuff of horror movies.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

So, it's good we are alone. Fiction, of the sort in the OP, is the stuff of horror movies.

J
            I don't think we are alone, but if we are, that fills me with dread
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
              I don't think we are alone, but if we are, that fills me with dread
              That is a statement that I can understand. I do not agree, but I do understand.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Here's a new video from the same guy the created the video in the original post:

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post
                  Here's a new video from the same guy the created the video in the original post:

Wait....wait....I'm confused........this thread had an original post?

Comment

• Would you prefer and an original Post-It?

BTW, I'll go with #4.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Would you prefer and an original Post-It?

BTW, I'll go with #4.

J
                      You humor attempts always evade me. I'm sure that's on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                        You humor attempts always evade me. I'm sure that's on me.
                        I disagree
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          I disagree
                          So do I!

Comment

• Interesting article on why Dinos never would have developed into space faring beings, and why we may be very rare, given how inefficient big brains are. My favorite line in the article is “We [haven’t] any data to suggest that complex technology has survival value along evolutionary timescales.”

Not only did things have to break just right for us to be what we are, we have only been that for a blink, and it may well turn out that it is a dead end for a long term survival as a species.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Interesting article on why Dinos never would have developed into space faring beings, and why we may be very rare, given how inefficient big brains are. My favorite line in the article is “We [haven’t] any data to suggest that complex technology has survival value along evolutionary timescales.”

Not only did things have to break just right for us to be what we are, we have only been that for a blink, and it may well turn out that it is a dead end for a long term survival as a species.
                              Cool!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                                Cool!
                                Doh, I forgot the link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedo.../#5d25097d7f69

Comment

Working...
                                X