Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 314

Thread: 10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

  1. #131
    All Star Sour Masher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Binghamton, NY
    Posts
    5,495
    An interesting take by Brian Cox on all of this. The short of it is that he thinks intelligent life at the level of civilizations might be extraordinarily rare, to the point where there may be only 1 or 2 per galaxy. He thinks it is possible we are the only advanced civilization in the galaxy. But since there are 2 trillion galaxies, he cannot comprehend this extraordinarily rare and special thing has not happened anywhere else in the universe. He also concedes the possibility, at the end, that advanced civilizations may develop in ways we cannot see, like developing inward, with nano tech and virtual reality sims.

    But his primary hunch is interesting, because of what he thinks it means for us. If our type of self-aware meaning-making life is so rare that we are the only ones in this galaxy, it means even more that we don't squander it.


  2. #132
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    1,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    An interesting take by Brian Cox on all of this. The short of it is that he thinks intelligent life at the level of civilizations might be extraordinarily rare, to the point where there may be only 1 or 2 per galaxy. He thinks it is possible we are the only advanced civilization in the galaxy.
    Along this same line of thinking, our Milky Way is estimated to be about 13.5 billion years old. This puts it among the very first galaxies that ever existed in the universe. If whatever is unique about our galaxy and solar system that made intelligent life possible took that long to develop, it stands to reason that we may be among the very first intelligent species in the universe. I have no idea how valid that idea is. Probably not very; just a thought. In comparison, our sister galaxy, Andromeda, is much younger, 'only' about 10 billion years old.

  3. #133
    Journeyman The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    An interesting take by Brian Cox on all of this. The short of it is that he thinks intelligent life at the level of civilizations might be extraordinarily rare, to the point where there may be only 1 or 2 per galaxy. He thinks it is possible we are the only advanced civilization in the galaxy. But since there are 2 trillion galaxies, he cannot comprehend this extraordinarily rare and special thing has not happened anywhere else in the universe. He also concedes the possibility, at the end, that advanced civilizations may develop in ways we cannot see, like developing inward, with nano tech and virtual reality sims.

    But his primary hunch is interesting, because of what he thinks it means for us. If our type of self-aware meaning-making life is so rare that we are the only ones in this galaxy, it means even more that we don't squander it.

    it does seem likely that we here on earth can't comprehend the infinite possibilities in the universe. Or maybe we are the smartest, most advanced civilization that could ever occur.

  4. #134
    Hall of Famer johnnya24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    28,169
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    it does seem likely that we here on earth can't comprehend the infinite possibilities in the universe. Or maybe we are the smartest, most advanced civilization that could ever occur.
    Don't make bombastic links! Infinity is a meaningless abstraction



















    Last edited by johnnya24; 01-31-2019 at 09:57 PM.

  5. #135
    Journeyman The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Don't make bombastic links! Infinity is a meaningless abstraction



















    Dense Matter Begets Life. It's a universal law that can't be denied

  6. #136
    Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid nullnor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,187
    given enough time everything is inevitable.

    when you look at your reflection, what you see is only on the surface. you can try to find the 'meaning' hidden underneath, the measure of the depth can be deceiving.

    that doesn't mean that we aren't special. the sort of thing that keeps me up at night is when i worry that we haven't even begun to find answers. maybe that's why space is so big. not to prevent civilizations from destroying each other or more advanced ones from interfering with developing ones, but to prevent them from comparing notes. for some reason, make each civilization think or realize they are unique. when a civilization does find the answer, it's going to be shockingly simple.

    for example, i'm sure Einstein had to do a lot of work to figure out that space and time were combined. but looking back you say, it makes perfect sense. it was a simple answer that eluded everyone. something right under our noses but for some reason we just can't see it or figure it out.

  7. #137
    Journeyman The Feral Slasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,545
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Dense Matter Begets Life. It's a universal law that can't be denied
    of course it Doesn't Mean there are Billions of Life forms. There are either one or many. It's quite fascinating really.

  8. #138
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,517
    Dope meme be leaking!
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    Dense Matter Begets Life. It's a universal law that can't be denied
    Life, in the single cellular sense I might grant you. That does not get you much. The universe is not infinte after all.

    Fermi did not leave a paradox. He left a compelling argument that other life cannot exist based using the galaxy for a scale and several million years as the timeframe.

    Quote Originally Posted by nullnor View Post
    given enough time everything is inevitable.
    Time isn't infinite either.

    J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

    Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

    GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

    Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

    I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

  10. #140
    Journeyman Kevin Seitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    4,166
    Distressing Millions, Billions of Light-years.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •