10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I decline to comment further on the grounds that it is way off topic.

J
    Thanks for that anyway.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I decline to comment further on the grounds that it is way off topic.

J
      Checks the URL - this is still rotojunkie right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
        Don't you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?
        But if he says he does get tired of being wrong all the time, then doesn't that mean he actually doesn't get tired of being wrong all the time?
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          But if he says he does get tired of being wrong all the time, then doesn't that mean he actually doesn't get tired of being wrong all the time?
          Only part of the time

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Only part of the time
            I disagree
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I disagree
              True, if you disagreed all the time it would just be annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                True, if you disagreed all the time it would just be annoying.
                Very.

Comment

• I am continually amazed at the vastness of the universe, and both how much we are quickly learning about it and how little we still know about it. As of now, we think it continues 2 trillion galaxies, but it may contain many more. It may, in fact, be infinite and eternal. The big bang may have been by one of many local bursts in an infinite multiverse. We can only perceive a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of reality.

It is hubristic for us to proclaim any certainty about anything related to the vast expanse we know so little about. The idea that there is no other intelligent life in the universe, a universe we only observe a tiny fraction of, because we aren't knee deep in aliens baffles me. We don't even know if intergallactic travel is possible. Who would travel millions and millions of light years to hop over to another galaxy? Anyone claiming we are alone in the universe is basically calling an election because of their own single vote. That is about the amount of data we have in relation to the whole right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I am continually amazed at the vastness of the universe, and both how much we are quickly learning about it and how little we still know about it. As of now, we think it continues 2 trillion galaxies, but it may contain many more. It may, in fact, be infinite and eternal. The big bang may have been by one of many local bursts in an infinite multiverse. We can only perceive a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of reality.

It is hubristic for us to proclaim any certainty about anything related to the vast expanse we know so little about. The idea that there is no other intelligent life in the universe, a universe we only observe a tiny fraction of, because we aren't knee deep in aliens baffles me. We don't even know if intergallactic travel is possible. Who would travel millions and millions of light years to hop over to another galaxy? Anyone claiming we are alone in the universe is basically calling an election because of their own single vote. That is about the amount of data we have in relation to the whole right now.
                    I agree with your post. I know of one RJ poster who won't. I'll let you guess who it is. (It's onejay)
                    “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

I am continually amazed at the vastness of the universe, and both how much we are quickly learning about it and how little we still know about it. As of now, we think it continues 2 trillion galaxies, but it may contain many more. It may, in fact, be infinite and eternal. The big bang may have been by one of many local bursts in an infinite multiverse. We can only perceive a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of reality.

thanks for trying to bring this back to the Fermi Paradox
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                        I agree with your post. I know of one RJ poster who won't. I'll let you guess who it is. (It's onejay)
                        Why would I disagree? He has not said anything controversial or even outside the mainstream. Only a narcissist is not awed by the cosmos. It's rather humbling to think we really are alone.

I recall a line from a book. "In a way, the world was created to give you a place to stand." The hero in that story knew why he was born and a great deal of the many thousands of years long struggle that culminated in his birth. I think we may be better off not knowing why we are here.

J
                        Last edited by onejayhawk; 02-17-2019, 11:28 PM.
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Why would I disagree? He has not said anything controversial or even outside the mainstream. Only a narcissist is not awed by the cosmos.

J
                          Have to not suggested that if intelligent life existed in the universe, it would be here by now, and/or, we would have seen evidence of it already?

ETA: you did start limiting your claim to the Galaxy, now that I look back. But you never conceded that we can't possibly know if we are the first intelligent life in the universe, or the point that it is extremely unlikely we are.
                          Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-17-2019, 11:33 PM.

Comment

• You have also stated, with certainty, that the universe is not infinite, even though we have no way of knowing that.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-17-2019, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Have to not suggested that if intelligent life existed in the universe, it would be here by now, and/or, we would have seen evidence of it already?
                              Your grammar is off. What exactly do you mean here? I have said that Fermi's filter suggests very strongly that we are alone in the history of the galaxy. That is in no way incompatible with feeling wonder at the cosmos.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              You have also stated, with certainty, that the universe is not infinite, even though we have no way of knowing that.
                              I am not sure I believe it or not, but I definitely did not state it. The galaxy, in contrast is far from infinite. That, I said.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Life, in the single cellular sense I might grant you. That does not get you much. The universe is not infinte after all.

Fermi did not leave a paradox. He left a compelling argument that other life cannot exist based using the galaxy for a scale and several million years as the timeframe.

Time isn't infinite either.

J
                                It amazes me how often you do this. You make a claim that is right there in a previous post, and then say you did not make that claim in a later post. Here is a post where you say both time and space are NOT infinite. As if you or I can know such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X