No announcement yet.

10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• given enough time everything is inevitable.

when you look at your reflection, what you see is only on the surface. you can try to find the 'meaning' hidden underneath, the measure of the depth can be deceiving.

that doesn't mean that we aren't special. the sort of thing that keeps me up at night is when i worry that we haven't even begun to find answers. maybe that's why space is so big. not to prevent civilizations from destroying each other or more advanced ones from interfering with developing ones, but to prevent them from comparing notes. for some reason, make each civilization think or realize they are unique. when a civilization does find the answer, it's going to be shockingly simple.

for example, i'm sure Einstein had to do a lot of work to figure out that space and time were combined. but looking back you say, it makes perfect sense. it was a simple answer that eluded everyone. something right under our noses but for some reason we just can't see it or figure it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      Dense Matter Begets Life. It's a universal law that can't be denied
      of course it Doesn't Mean there are Billions of Life forms. There are either one or many. It's quite fascinating really.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Dope meme be leaking!
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Dense Matter Begets Life. It's a universal law that can't be denied
          Life, in the single cellular sense I might grant you. That does not get you much. The universe is not infinte after all.

Fermi did not leave a paradox. He left a compelling argument that other life cannot exist based using the galaxy for a scale and several million years as the timeframe.

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
          given enough time everything is inevitable.
          Time isn't infinite either.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Distressing Millions, Billions of Light-years.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Life, in the single cellular sense I might grant you. That does not get you much. The universe is not infinte after all.

Fermi did not leave a paradox. He left a compelling argument that other life cannot exist based using the galaxy for a scale and several million years as the timeframe.

J
              Doesnt matter, because lots of evidence to the contrary
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                Do men become lifeless ? Does eternity mean nothing ?
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Dark matter blows logic to smithereens.
                  "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• It's a Dance of Mystery, Belying how Little humanity is in the time and space of even our own galaxy's history, let alone debatably millions beyond the limits of our perception.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                      It's a Dance of Mystery, Belying how Little humanity is in the time and space of even our own galaxy's history, let alone debatably millions beyond the limits of our perception.
                      I disagree
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                        given enough time everything is inevitable.
                        Only things that are allowed by the laws of physics. But then again, the laws of physics might change at some point! So, who knows?

Comment

I disagree
                          Denying metastable behavior leads you down any number of false paths.

Comment

Denying metastable behavior leads you down any number of false paths.
                            I disagree
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I disagree
                              Disagreement...meh. Belief leads to truth.

Comment

Disagreement...meh. Belief leads to truth.
                                I disagree
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X