No announcement yet.

10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having an extinction event on a schedule is a seriously low probability event, even if the window is on a million-year scale.

Another little discussed necessity is the third dimension. Birds have shockingly high brain-to-mass ratios. The highest ratio on Earth is not man, it's the turkey vulture. Tree monkeys and oceanic mammals are similar. When the article talks of a stressor, that is another time-sensitive thing.

Why is it so hard to accept that we are alone?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Having an extinction event on a schedule is a seriously low probability event, even if the window is on a million-year scale.

Another little discussed necessity is the third dimension
      . Birds have shockingly high brain-to-mass ratios. The highest ratio on Earth is not man, it's the turkey vulture. Tree monkeys and oceanic mammals are similar. When the article talks of a stressor, that is another time-sensitive thing.

J
      I've always felt that Z never got the same respect as X and Y. No chromosomes named after Z for example, or maybe there are, but no one ever talks about it. It's just not fair.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        I've always felt that Z never got the same respect as X and Y. No chromosomes named after Z for example, or maybe there are, but no one ever talks about it. It's just not fair.
        But the X chromosome looks like an X. The Y chromosome looks sort of like a Y. Where is the chromosome that looks sort of like a Z?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

J
          Ugh. Universe BIG!
          “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

extinction event
            The name of my next band.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              there isn't even universal agreement on how it should be pronounced!!!
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                Universe BIG!

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  Universe BIG!
                  but math HARD!
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                    Or even amateurnounced.

Comment

Ugh. Universe BIG!
                      Yes it is Tonto. Yes it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Yes it is Tonto. Yes it is.
                        Rats. That was my caveman impression. I guess it needs work.

Comment

Ugh. Universe BIG!
                          There is big and then there is infinite. If the universe is only big, we're likely alone.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

there is big and then there is infinite. If the universe is only big, we're likely alone.

J
                            universe fucking big

Comment

There is big and then there is infinite. If the universe is only big, we're likely alone.

J
                              And if the universe is infinite, there's another onejayhawk posting on another rotojunkie forum somewhere. Lord help us.

Comment

universe fucking big
                                Lenny Bruce??

Comment

Working...
                                X