Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    trollin, trollin, trollin....
    I don't think this is trolling. It seems to be part of the original discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      laughable
      Why is this laughable?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Why is this laughable?
        Answer 1: Because Fresno said so.
        Answer 2: One J won't acknowledge that movement between solar systems is dangerous and hard. When Kevin Seitzer indicated the number of deaths we've had in our own attempts to get off the planet, he didn't even get into cosmic rays and how the human body would atrophy in space.
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
          Answer 2: One J won't acknowledge that movement between solar systems is dangerous and hard. When Kevin Seitzer indicated the number of deaths we've had in our own attempts to get off the planet, he didn't even get into cosmic rays and how the human body would atrophy in space.
          At one time flying a few hundred feet was hard and dangerous...now not so much. Why would a civilization that is a billion years older than us have issues with movement between solar systems?

If you are on the side that the law of large numbers dictates that there must be intelligent life out there, would you contend that none of them are more advanced than we are?

Comment

At one time flying a few hundred feet was hard and dangerous...now not so much. Why would a civilization that is a billion years older than us have issues with movement between solar systems?

If you are on the side that the law of large numbers dictates that there must be intelligent life out there, would you contend that none of them are more advanced than we are?
            I just contend that movement between planets, solar systems, and galaxies is hella dangerous, no matter how old your civilization is.

Comment

At one time flying a few hundred feet was hard and dangerous...
              I still can't do it.

Oh.......you meant with a plane.....sorry.

Comment

I don't think this is trolling. It seems to be part of the original discussion.
                Pretending that one knows more than the top scientists in the world and expressing such certainty about his thoughts is either trolling or something worse
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So just for snicks and grins I googled -10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox.

This RJ discussion came up 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                    Pretending that one knows more than the top scientists in the world and expressing such certainty about his thoughts is either trolling or something worse
                    Yes, ijay speaks with absolute certainty on many topics. The truth is we know so little, it is impossible for us to be certain of anything. In addition to all of the valid reasons why we wouldn't see aliens in nullnor's videos, there are so many things we haven't even thought of yet. Heck, 95% of the energy and matter in the universe is not even perceivable to us. Maybe we are the odd balls, living in our tiny baryonic universe. Maybe there are aliens in a different state of being--in that 95% of the mass of the universe we cannot access or interact with. There is so much we don't know. Having a little humility in the indisputable face of our vast ignorance is warranted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                      I still can't do it.

Plenty tried it without using planes...turns out it was hard and very dangerous.

Plenty of old movies that show this typically to laugh at the folly of it all, yet at the time they were serious.

Comment

I still can't do it.

Give it a billion years or so...
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          Give it a billion years or so...
                          To paraphrase Homer Simpson: A billion years! But, I wanna fly NOW!

Comment

To paraphrase Homer Simpson: A billion years! But, I wanna fly NOW!
                            First comes the jet pack! Where are our jet packs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              First comes the jet pack! Where are our jet packs?
                              Mines in the garage. You didn't get yours when you registered to vote?

Comment

Answer 1: Because Fresno said so.
                                yes, both!
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X