No announcement yet.

10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you guys know that Chrissy Hynde was like a biker chick and went out with a deputy of the hells angels? heh

Comment

Gotta love the Elvis shirt.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      I think it's fair to say that the math shows us that, even though we've seen no evidence of life elsewhere in our solar system, and found no evidence so far of intelligent civilizations nearby from searching the radio spectrum, that the universe is so vast and the number of earth-like planets so numerous, that we cannot begin to get our minds around what a tiny speck in the universe our own solar system is.

To say that the math proves anything about the probability of occurrence of life or intelligent civilizations in the universe, however, is going too far. The math says the denominator (the number of opportunities) is huge. But it can't say anything about the size or scale of the numerator (occurrence of life given an opportunity) or the ratio between the two.
      The Universe is vast enough, but not the galaxy. We have assurances that we unique to this largish corner of the cosmos.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        Gotta love the Elvis shirt.

The Universe is vast enough, but not the galaxy. We have assurances that we unique to this largish corner of the cosmos.

J
        What??
        “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
          What??
          If we were not alone, we would have found others already. That's the math. I will accept the possibility of not being able to move galaxy to galaxy. In this galaxy, if another of our level of civilization ever existed it would have be here. That's where the math takes you.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If we were not alone, we would have found others already. That's the math. I will accept the possibility of not being able to move galaxy to galaxy. In this galaxy, if another of our level of civilization ever existed it would have be here. That's where the math takes you.

J

Comment

Comment

I mean, I was just over in the Perseus Arm earlier this morning, picking up my dry cleaning, and stopped by Galactic Center to get a cup of joe, I don't know about you.
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

1,000,000 years is a vast amount of time in human terms, but short in geologic terms, and a heartbeat in cosmological terms. Within a fraction of that, we will cover the habitable part of our galaxy. Moreover, our star and planet are late arrivals to the party. IF there were anyone else, our archeologists would be sifting through their garbage already. The math is inexorable. In this galaxy at least, we are the first.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

1,000,000 years is a vast amount of time in human terms, but short in geologic terms, and a heartbeat in cosmological terms. Within a fraction of that, we will cover the habitable part of our galaxy. Moreover, our star and planet are late arrivals to the party. IF there were anyone else, our archeologists would be sifting through their garbage already. The math is inexorable. In this galaxy at least, we are the first.

J
                    I no longer know what to say. Oh.....you're trolling me! I get it!!!

Comment

J
                      You do realize that OUR archaeologists have ONLY been on Earth, right?

Comment

J
                        Is this some type of religious bias of yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                          I mean, I was just over in the Perseus Arm earlier this morning, picking up my dry cleaning, and stopped by Galactic Center to get a cup of joe, I don't know about you.
                          We need a like button.

Comment

I no longer know what to say. Oh.....you're trolling me! I get it!!!
                            You do realize that OUR archaeologists have ONLY been on Earth, right?
                            Is this some type of religious bias of yours?
                            It's the math nerd talking.

Fermi's numbers say we have to be alone in the galaxy. The only alternative is to be hip deep in aliens. When they say aliens would be here, they mean this specific planet. If they left, where is the trash? For that matter, why isn't SETI constantly cataloging new hits?

Fermi's numbers say that sapience must be next to nonexistent or it will be found everywhere the environment supports it, with no middle possibility. We observe no other sentient life. Ergo, sentience is almost impossible and likely occurred exactly once.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If they left, where is the trash?

They recycled?

Comment

or it will be found everywhere the environment supports it,

J

Which is exactly where according to you?

Comment

Working...
                                X