Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post

There is no other culture visible because there is no other culture in the history of the galaxy.

J
    the math says that you are wrong
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    his hubris says he's right

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    his hubris says he's right
    hubris is just a fancy name for mashed chickpeas
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    his mashed chickpeas says he's right

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    To the contrary, the math says I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I always thought hummus was bean dip with a good press agent. I am reminded of a Gene Autry quote, "Ballplayers are like expensive restaurants. You love the good ones and hate the overpriced ones."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
    his mashed chickpeas says he's right
    The mashed chickpeas say I'm regular. Make of that what you wish.

The math says that if we are not alone then they are already here. Muller and Sculley aside, I don't think they are here, so we must be alone.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    To the contrary, the math says I'm right.

The math says that if we are not alone then they are already here. Muller and Sculley aside, I don't think they are here, so we must be alone.

J
    What math says that if there is life elsewhere in the vast, ever expanding universe that they must be here, with us, right now, on earth? Please show your work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    What math says that if there is life elsewhere in the vast, ever expanding universe that they must be here, with us, right now, on earth? Please show your work.

made me think of this (seems appropriate ... )

I wont argue right here, right now, on earth. But the math supports elsewhere and concurrent

With pleasure....it's called the Drake Equation

N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

https://www.space.com/25219-drake-equation.html

I'm not going to argue with the math
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

there's also the rare earth equation too but i've never attempted that one. i think it's harder. i've done the drake equation a few times and i always come out to one technological civilization per galaxy. but i noticed the 2nd time i did it, i felt bias and like i was trying to fudge my answers to come out the same.

also, the other day i heard them say the milky way hasn't had very many collisions. and actually, i suspected as much! heh