10 unsettling answers to the fermi paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Destructive measures blast life from the surface of the planets before it can gain a foothold. Whether destroyed mainly by living beings as their own undoing, or by outside forces like cometary bombardment, life winds down magically before life can move outward into the void to sustain itself.
    I think you speak the truth here, I don't disagree
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Doorways may betray life from beyond the reach of our sensors. Who knows if wormholes really exist, but there is some evidence that they do. Maybe black-hole light escaping is a sign from civilizations across the universe? It shouldn't be doing that.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Doorways may betray life from beyond the reach of our sensors. Who knows if wormholes really exist, but there is some evidence that they do. Maybe black-hole light escaping is a sign from civilizations across the universe? It shouldn't be doing that.
        This is a bridge too far. Nothing escapes from the black hole, this is elementary physics that all dilligent men basically lament.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• the universe wouldn't be so impossibly big unless there were ways to circumvent it. since space is malleable, you can circumvent it. but not yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by nullnor View Post
            the universe wouldn't be so impossibly big unless there were ways to circumvent it. since space is malleable, you can circumvent it. but not yet.
            you can through the underverse
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              This is a bridge too far. Nothing escapes from the black hole, this is elementary physics that all dilligent men basically lament.
              This diagnosis may be lucid, but describing those monstrous "blackholes" linguistically is demanding. My basic lore is to avoid the topic entirely, but doing my best Laplace impersonation, "those things are damn massive!". Being lazy, I'll just stick with that.
              Last edited by Ken; 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• This thread is starting to make Steve's brain hurt.
                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                  This thread is starting to make Steve's brain hurt.
                  Dissociative identity disorder might be largely responsible.

Comment

Daunting Meme Brings Lashing

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the in joke on the tonal shift to fancy pants style, but I'm finding it wonderful and hilarious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Yeah, I'm not sure I get the in joke on the tonal shift to fancy pants style, but I'm finding it wonderful and hilarious.
                        *I spit out my coffee laughing at the "fancy pants" note*

Note to self - don't make breathy laughing sounds while drinking mostly brown liquid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                          *I spit out my coffee laughing at the "fancy pants" note*

Note to self - don't make breathy laughing sounds while drinking mostly brown liquid.
                          If you drink mocha, belly laughing is a risk for sure.
                          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

If you drink mocha, belly laughing is a risk for sure.
                            I disagree
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I disagree
                              Didn't mention blasted line! 😮😩😠

Comment

Not true. Black holes undergo quantum decay. The tiny ones evaporate completely. You also assume our knowledge of black hole physics is complete when it is not.

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                This diagnosis may be lucid, but describing those monstrous "blackholes" linguistically is demanding. My basic lore is to avoid the topic entirely, but doing my best Laplace impersonation, "those things are damn massive!". Being lazy, I'll just stick with that.
                                What he said.

It is not inappropriate to consider black holes as separate universes. Depending on the size, the physics inside could be very different.

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                you can through the underverse
                                How do you wear your underverse? I have trouble telling top from bottom.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X