Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ***VD 13 Spreadsheet***

I'm all in favor, as was Johnny, of you giving it a try.

I think a lot of what you see here from VD 12 and VD 13 prep is the result of us not having updated the stats since 2016, or in some cases, since 2011, except for some ad-hoc updates that revo did for us last draft. The last time I personally remember updating from the Lahman database was 2009. At that point I had a fairly standard set of queries and procedures to update the spreadsheet once a new season was published in the database. Would that process have been well-served by even further automation? Yes. But at the time it was at the edge of my capabilities, and I didn't feel it was worth the effort. And once I quit drafting, I think some of that fell by the wayside. Presumably others took up the mantle. But it does serve as a warning to me about how useless all my queries/scripts to pull from the Lahman database into the spreadsheet became to the VD community once I left.

The particular pain we've had around this draft and the previous one was that we didn't have a single source of stats like we'd had previously with the Lahman database. I was interviewing when we started the previous draft and didn't have access to the updated databases that I have from work. Now we're trying to catch up on the technical debt from all the half-assed updates we've made to the stats in the spreadsheet to keep the drafts running over the past seven years or so. One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    The bots still loving this sub forum
    Bots love the VD, amirite ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    "I love you, VD girl. I will show you with my decades, and my career and my best year, very soon."
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

can you pull together an app by February 14th, because I think that's the optimal day to launch a VD App.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

4 present 20 viewing ... it must be contagious
    "A person under surveillance is no longer free; a society under surveillance is no longer a democracy. To maintain any validity, our democratic rights must apply in virtual as in real space."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I'm all in favor, as was Johnny, of you giving it a try.

I think a lot of what you see here from VD 12 and VD 13 prep is the result of us not having updated the stats since 2016, or in some cases, since 2011, except for some ad-hoc updates that revo did for us last draft. The last time I personally remember updating from the Lahman database was 2009. At that point I had a fairly standard set of queries and procedures to update the spreadsheet once a new season was published in the database. Would that process have been well-served by even further automation? Yes. But at the time it was at the edge of my capabilities, and I didn't feel it was worth the effort. And once I quit drafting, I think some of that fell by the wayside. Presumably others took up the mantle. But it does serve as a warning to me about how useless all my queries/scripts to pull from the Lahman database into the spreadsheet became to the VD community once I left.

The particular pain we've had around this draft and the previous one was that we didn't have a single source of stats like we'd had previously with the Lahman database. I was interviewing when we started the previous draft and didn't have access to the updated databases that I have from work. Now we're trying to catch up on the technical debt from all the half-assed updates we've made to the stats in the spreadsheet to keep the drafts running over the past seven years or so. One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
    Yeah pretty much. Functionality and practicality (ergo half assedness) have been the main things.
    "A person under surveillance is no longer free; a society under surveillance is no longer a democracy. To maintain any validity, our democratic rights must apply in virtual as in real space."

I think they are all stuck watching the Purple Dancing Hippo threads. Nothing like VD, Dancing Hippos and Bags of dicks to keep your attention!

Big Leaguer
    One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
    I do have that.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    4 present 20 viewing ... it must be contagious
    41 bots

What remains to be done:
    1. Make sure that the additional two players needed for this draft (Hitter #15 and Pitcher #12, rounds 26-27) are reflected everywhere necessary
    2. Add any relevant pitchers missing from the 2010s decade.
    3. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
    4. Fill in missing pitcher decades for some players
    5. Some of the post-2013 hitter playerIDs that I added are likely wrong, but none of them conflict with existing playerIDs in the spreadsheet. It would be good if someone can double-check these at some point. (If the player started his career after 2013, I assumed his playerID was in the form of trumpdo01, unless the first five characters of his last name were already in use in the spreadsheet, in which case I manually checked with BB-Ref.)
    I've completed items 2,3,4, but I would like to get item 1 resolved before I publish another version. I think once we have items 1-4 complete we can consider that a good spreadsheet.