Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: ***VD 13 Spreadsheet***

Big Leaguer
    yeah I just used Lahman because it was trivial to download instead of scraping all of bbref (I actually already have a script to do that but I feel like they'd get mad if I ran it). And they use the same player IDs, don't they? Anyway, it's okay to use it for development, and Firestore (the Google Cloud Storage solution I used) lets you write Java objects as db entries directly which is convenient but meant that I'd have to do some parsing regardless of what form I got the data in.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    And they use the same player IDs, don't they?
    99.99% yes
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Latest version of spreadsheet posted.

1. Fixed the aptly named 'pos' worksheet.
    2. Updated some stats for 1870's hitters.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Latest version of spreadsheet posted.

1. Fixed the aptly named 'pos' worksheet.
    2. Updated some stats for 1870's hitters.
    I updated my shared file with your latest file. Both links contain the same version
    "A person under surveillance is no longer free; a society under surveillance is no longer a democracy. To maintain any validity, our democratic rights must apply in virtual as in real space."

The basics of how the 'pos' worksheet functions, for future reference (Johnny):

1. The tables in columns O:BN pull from the identical tables on the individual team worksheets. (In addition there is a MI column that is a 1 if either SS or 2B is a 1.)
    2. The overall table in C2:K16 pulls from the labels in the light-green-colored columns V, AE, AN, AW, BF, BO. These columns are manual entry and need to be updated as the draft goes along.
    3. Column M contains warning flags that show up red if there are hitters who have been selected by a team but no corresponding position label has been entered in the light-green-colored position-entry column for that team's player.
    4. The overall table will highlight in blue once that position's quota is filled.

I recall trying to figure this sheet out on many an occasion!

How do you account for multi position players? Especially things like OF/1B eligibility.
    "A person under surveillance is no longer free; a society under surveillance is no longer a democracy. To maintain any validity, our democratic rights must apply in virtual as in real space."

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I recall trying to figure this sheet out on many an occasion!

How do you account for multi position players? Especially things like OF/1B eligibility.
    That's why it's manual entry. I couldn't figure out a sensible way to automate that. Whatever you put into the light green columns determines how the overall table tabulates things. If you screw up the position labels, it won't know any better. It will highlight obvious errors like listing three catchers for a team, but for the more subtle stuff you have to choose for each team whether they are putting, for example, Ed Delahanty at OF or 1B. In this update, I put Delahanty at OF (of2), but if mjl needs to move him to 1B later in the draft, that would need to be manually changed in cell V41.

It's not elegant, and it's not fully automated, but it does work if you keep the position labels updated.

Ah, and I discovered another little fix I need to make to that sheet. We have two UT players this draft, correct? So I need to change the conditional formatting for the UT column (Col K) to highlight blue on two UT players instead of one UT player.

Edit: Fix is uploaded.

What I do is colour-tag the position column next to each team on the Snapshot - dark grey for a "certain" position, and Light Red for an "uncertain" position ... typically only CI/OF eligibility. C, 2B, SS, 3B = always grey even if a player has multiple positions); 1B/OF = both 1B and OF will be given a red tag.

It's actually really fast and simple to accurately label each team with this method.

Big Leaguer
    I think I can automate it in excel, I'll give it a shot this weekend.