Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ***VD 13 Spreadsheet***

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    I'm confident that we have a few fellows in the draft who could easily build a decent app ... but it depends on what you are planning on using this for? If it's just an online scoring sheet, then that'd be super simple. But we're planning on using this to draft, you'd need login privileges, security, enabling it to be set up for all draft types. All doable, but a lot harder and more time consuming than a simple online scoring sheet. Would there be copyright issues? Keeping it private for our usage only would help. But it's still a lot of work.

Then on top of that, you have issues of maintenance ... what if the designers decide to bail?

It'd be really cool, and i'd be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it before, but it's a lot to ask.

Then again, if we have people willing to give it a shot, I'm all for it.
    I started building something. This is how far I got:

* Learned enough Python to set up the database code and allow for a team to be built and overall scores to be calculated over a league
    * Set up options for enforcing decades/letters rules
    * Determined that trying to use this to learn Python was making it slow enough that it made me not want to do it; also determined that dynamically typed languages annoy the shit out of me
    * Bought http://draf.to

if I decide to actually build this I'm definitely going back to Java and just getting it done.

Features I think it needs:
    * League setup/configuration
    * Login (probably lazy and using federated login through Google or something as a first pass)
    * Drafting
    * View draft in progress
    * Player search, probably looks a lot like bbref play index
    * Scoring

And features that go beyond the MVP (not most valuable player, MVP in computerland is "minimum viable product"):
    * Automated notifications when your turn is up
    * A way to define a personal rating algorithm so you can search by whatever equation you use to determine who the right pick is
    * KOs
    * A way to download the draft in progress as a spreadsheet
    * On-site message boards, public and private leagues, ability to search for a league
    * Setting an amount of time to wait before skipping a pick

I'd love to do this but work and family are taking a lot out of me right now, which is why I'm up at 1am fucking around with this, because it's hard to find time to relax. What I'm expecting is that as I get used to my new job and start missing actually writing code I'll want to have some kind of outlet for it and this will probably be it, but right now I'm just trying to keep up with things.

(also this is me: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mjlewis/. also also if you want a job in tech in the SF area, let me know and I'll see if I have any useful contacts.)
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Updated version 1.2 of the spreadsheet:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uu...dTvyyy7eK170M0

**This is at least a workable beta version of the spreadsheet for this draft, although it still has some issues, especially as relates to the extra hitter and pitcher slots added for this draft. I would recommend this for usage at this point unless someone has something better.**

New fixes in Version 1.2:
    21. Add any relevant pitchers missing from the 2010s decade.
    22. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
    23. Fill in missing pitcher decades for some players
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

There's an error in the 'pick' worksheet that I suspect is related to dropping down from 14 teams to 13 teams, where it's not picking up DMT's picks. Or it's related to me doing something stupid in how I adjusted for that. Not sure. But it means that's DMT's picks also don't show us being "drafted" in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.
    "There was nothing for him to do under the truck, but it's tough to blame him now that he is dead." -V.Erps 3/26/2005

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    There's an error in the 'pick' worksheet that I suspect is related to dropping down from 14 teams to 13 teams, where it's not picking up DMT's picks. Or it's related to me doing something stupid in how I adjusted for that. Not sure. But it means that's DMT's picks also don't show us being "drafted" in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.
    I'll fix all that stuff today. Had to make picks yesterday, so focused on getting the info ready to help with that. I'll fix the scoring aspects of the sheet today. I'll also get the the rules post updated also.

Draft rules fixed ...

Will finish the Zsheet tonight.

Not including the bots, there seems to be much more traffic on the site lately.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnya24 View Post
    Not including the bots, there seems to be much more traffic on the site lately.
    That probably has to do with this "inactivity setting" I've been playing with. Since everyone says they keep getting kicked, I upped the setting from 900 seconds to 10,000 seconds to see if that works, but that also changes the "Who's Online" setting.

BTW, the vBulletin Admin Panel is NOT very user friendly at all.

There's a problem on the SeitzerSheet -- it's not picking up certain picks on the 'Picks' page, and so the rest of the formulas do not realize that some players have been selected.

Updated the "what remains to be done" list with these two items:
    2. Standings are backwards for ERA and WHIP categories in CP/BYP worksheets
    3. Picks worksheet is borked and is missing some picks. This prevents them from being shown as drafted in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Updated the "what remains to be done" list with these two items:
    2. Standings are backwards for ERA and WHIP categories in CP/BYP worksheets
    3. Picks worksheet is borked and is missing some picks. This prevents them from being shown as drafted in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.
    Did you build this on vd10 or vd13?