No announcement yet.

***VD 13 Spreadsheet***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all in favor, as was Johnny, of you giving it a try.

I think a lot of what you see here from VD 12 and VD 13 prep is the result of us not having updated the stats since 2016, or in some cases, since 2011, except for some ad-hoc updates that revo did for us last draft. The last time I personally remember updating from the Lahman database was 2009. At that point I had a fairly standard set of queries and procedures to update the spreadsheet once a new season was published in the database. Would that process have been well-served by even further automation? Yes. But at the time it was at the edge of my capabilities, and I didn't feel it was worth the effort. And once I quit drafting, I think some of that fell by the wayside. Presumably others took up the mantle. But it does serve as a warning to me about how useless all my queries/scripts to pull from the Lahman database into the spreadsheet became to the VD community once I left.

The particular pain we've had around this draft and the previous one was that we didn't have a single source of stats like we'd had previously with the Lahman database. I was interviewing when we started the previous draft and didn't have access to the updated databases that I have from work. Now we're trying to catch up on the technical debt from all the half-assed updates we've made to the stats in the spreadsheet to keep the drafts running over the past seven years or so. One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      The bots still loving this sub forum
      Bots love the VD, amirite ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        "I love you, VD girl. I will show you with my decades, and my career and my best year, very soon."
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

can you pull together an app by February 14th, because I think that's the optimal day to launch a VD App.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

4 present 20 viewing ... it must be contagious

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              I'm all in favor, as was Johnny, of you giving it a try.

I think a lot of what you see here from VD 12 and VD 13 prep is the result of us not having updated the stats since 2016, or in some cases, since 2011, except for some ad-hoc updates that revo did for us last draft. The last time I personally remember updating from the Lahman database was 2009. At that point I had a fairly standard set of queries and procedures to update the spreadsheet once a new season was published in the database. Would that process have been well-served by even further automation? Yes. But at the time it was at the edge of my capabilities, and I didn't feel it was worth the effort. And once I quit drafting, I think some of that fell by the wayside. Presumably others took up the mantle. But it does serve as a warning to me about how useless all my queries/scripts to pull from the Lahman database into the spreadsheet became to the VD community once I left.

The particular pain we've had around this draft and the previous one was that we didn't have a single source of stats like we'd had previously with the Lahman database. I was interviewing when we started the previous draft and didn't have access to the updated databases that I have from work. Now we're trying to catch up on the technical debt from all the half-assed updates we've made to the stats in the spreadsheet to keep the drafts running over the past seven years or so. One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
              Yeah pretty much. Functionality and practicality (ergo half assedness) have been the main things.

Comment

I think they are all stuck watching the Purple Dancing Hippo threads. Nothing like VD, Dancing Hippos and Bags of dicks to keep your attention!

Comment

One big database of BB-Ref data would go a long way toward smoothing over that path.
                  I do have that.

Comment

4 present 20 viewing ... it must be contagious
                    41 bots

Comment

What remains to be done:
                      1. Make sure that the additional two players needed for this draft (Hitter #15 and Pitcher #12, rounds 26-27) are reflected everywhere necessary
                      2. Add any relevant pitchers missing from the 2010s decade.
                      3. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                      4. Fill in missing pitcher decades for some players
                      5. Some of the post-2013 hitter playerIDs that I added are likely wrong, but none of them conflict with existing playerIDs in the spreadsheet. It would be good if someone can double-check these at some point. (If the player started his career after 2013, I assumed his playerID was in the form of trumpdo01, unless the first five characters of his last name were already in use in the spreadsheet, in which case I manually checked with BB-Ref.)
                      I've completed items 2,3,4, but I would like to get item 1 resolved before I publish another version. I think once we have items 1-4 complete we can consider that a good spreadsheet.

Comment

I'm confident that we have a few fellows in the draft who could easily build a decent app ... but it depends on what you are planning on using this for? If it's just an online scoring sheet, then that'd be super simple. But we're planning on using this to draft, you'd need login privileges, security, enabling it to be set up for all draft types. All doable, but a lot harder and more time consuming than a simple online scoring sheet. Would there be copyright issues? Keeping it private for our usage only would help. But it's still a lot of work.

Then on top of that, you have issues of maintenance ... what if the designers decide to bail?

It'd be really cool, and i'd be a liar if I said I hadn't thought about it before, but it's a lot to ask.

Then again, if we have people willing to give it a shot, I'm all for it.
                        I started building something. This is how far I got:

* Learned enough Python to set up the database code and allow for a team to be built and overall scores to be calculated over a league
                        * Set up options for enforcing decades/letters rules
                        * Determined that trying to use this to learn Python was making it slow enough that it made me not want to do it; also determined that dynamically typed languages annoy the shit out of me
                        * Bought http://draf.to

if I decide to actually build this I'm definitely going back to Java and just getting it done.

Features I think it needs:
                        * League setup/configuration
                        * Login (probably lazy and using federated login through Google or something as a first pass)
                        * Drafting
                        * View draft in progress
                        * Player search, probably looks a lot like bbref play index
                        * Scoring

And features that go beyond the MVP (not most valuable player, MVP in computerland is "minimum viable product"):
                        * Automated notifications when your turn is up
                        * A way to define a personal rating algorithm so you can search by whatever equation you use to determine who the right pick is
                        * KOs
                        * A way to download the draft in progress as a spreadsheet
                        * On-site message boards, public and private leagues, ability to search for a league
                        * Setting an amount of time to wait before skipping a pick

I'd love to do this but work and family are taking a lot out of me right now, which is why I'm up at 1am fucking around with this, because it's hard to find time to relax. What I'm expecting is that as I get used to my new job and start missing actually writing code I'll want to have some kind of outlet for it and this will probably be it, but right now I'm just trying to keep up with things.

(also this is me: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mjlewis/. also also if you want a job in tech in the SF area, let me know and I'll see if I have any useful contacts.)
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Updated version 1.2 of the spreadsheet:

**This is at least a workable beta version of the spreadsheet for this draft, although it still has some issues, especially as relates to the extra hitter and pitcher slots added for this draft. I would recommend this for usage at this point unless someone has something better.**

New fixes in Version 1.2:
                          21. Add any relevant pitchers missing from the 2010s decade.
                          22. Add pitcher best seasons from the 2010s decade.
                          23. Fill in missing pitcher decades for some players

Comment

There's an error in the 'pick' worksheet that I suspect is related to dropping down from 14 teams to 13 teams, where it's not picking up DMT's picks. Or it's related to me doing something stupid in how I adjusted for that. Not sure. But it means that's DMT's picks also don't show us being "drafted" in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.

Comment

There's an error in the 'pick' worksheet that I suspect is related to dropping down from 14 teams to 13 teams, where it's not picking up DMT's picks. Or it's related to me doing something stupid in how I adjusted for that. Not sure. But it means that's DMT's picks also don't show us being "drafted" in the hitter/pitcher worksheets.
                              I'll fix all that stuff today. Had to make picks yesterday, so focused on getting the info ready to help with that. I'll fix the scoring aspects of the sheet today. I'll also get the the rules post updated also.

Comment

Draft rules fixed ...

Will finish the Zsheet tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X