2K19: Willians Astudillo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    LOL...except he really isn't accomplished at ANY of those positions, including catcher...his bat is what gets him in the lineup, his glove is a necessary evil. And yeah, a 27 YO Pujols probably could have played an inning in center, as could any of the others that you mentioned. Just because Astudillo played 1 inning in CF does not make him an outfielder. Nor would an appearance at short make him a shortstop any more than Russel Martin pitching a successful inning makes him a pitcher.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this...
    I mean we don't have to just disagree, right? We were arguing about what is going to happen. You had said Astudillo wasn't worth a buck because he's a 3rd string catcher that doesn't play other positions (not trying to put words in your mouth, if that's not what you said let me know).

But what's "going to" happen is already playing out, right? This is an observable data point. He's getting lots of ABs. Unless that changes, dramatically, I'm not sure what there is to "argue" about. He's certainly worth more than $1 in a 2C league at this point (worth $19 so far in my AL only). It would have to *change* for there to even be anything to argue about.

Your SS item is appropriate though since Astudillo played 9 innings at 2B last year too.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

According to Baseball Reference:

Garver 30 innings played at catcher
      Castro 29 innings
      Astudillo 21 innings
      Not sure that catcher innings are a fantasy stat. He qualifies at C in most leagues and he has the most plate appearances of any of the 3 catchers on the Twins.

Maybe the confusion is you thought I was saying Astudillo was the starter at C? That's not what I said. Gregg said Astudillo might get more AB than the backup C, and I was agreeing and saying that so far he's getting more than the starter too.
      Last edited by Ken; 04-10-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
        Not sure that catcher innings are a fantasy stat. He qualifies at C in most leagues and he has the most plate appearances of any of the 3 catchers on the Twins.

Maybe the confusion is you thought I was saying Astudillo was the starter at C? That's not what I said. Gregg said Astudillo might get more AB than the backup C, and I was agreeing and saying that so far he's getting more than the starter too.
        Actually, that's pretty much exactly what you said:

Or the real starter.

Garver has 15 PA
        Castro has 12 PA

Astudillo has 22 PA
        So, going off that basis, listing innings caught as a catcher is indeed a statistic worth noting.

And at the time that I said he might not be worth a buck, his position on the team was extremely tenuous. It took Sano going on the IL (shocker I know) to cement his place on the team. And I didn't say that he didn't play other positions, I said that he didn't play them well, a statement that I stand behind today. His PT will likely go down once Sano returns, how much is up to Baldelli...he's extremely popular with the fans, and that will probably play a part in his spot on the team as well.

Bottom line for me is that you have a lovable teddy bear of a player who the fans adore. That mean something. But so does the fact that he never walks, and has minimal power...we'll see what happens when the balls stop dropping in for a while.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Actually, that's pretty much exactly what you said:
          OK this is getting really silly Hornsby.

Ken: He has more value than other backup catchers even though he is 3rd string because he has talent as a hitter AND because he can play other positions which gets him in the lineup.
          Gregg: And maybe even get more abs than the real back up catcher.
          Ken: Or the real starter.

The "Or the real starter" that I mentioned in that reference was Garver not Astudillo. Restated, "Astudillo may even get more abs than Garver". Not "Astudillo is the real starter at C" as you incorrectly assumed that I meant. But thanks for trying to tell me what I said/meant when you clearly misunderstood. Good Lord.

And I didn't say that he didn't play other positions, I said that he didn't play them well, a statement that I stand behind today
          Actually you said "he's 3 string t catcher an cn't really play qnother position". And Baldelli cleary disagrees with that, which is all that matters for fantasy terms.

Comment

OK this is getting really silly Hornsby.

Ken: He has more value than other backup catchers even though he is 3rd string because he has talent as a hitter AND because he can play other positions which gets him in the lineup.
            Gregg: And maybe even get more abs than the real back up catcher.
            Ken: Or the real starter.

The "Or the real starter" that I mentioned in that reference was Garver not Astudillo. Restated, "Astudillo may even get more abs than Garver". Not "Astudillo is the real starter at C" as you incorrectly assumed that I meant. But thanks for trying to tell me what I said/meant when you clearly misunderstood. Good Lord.

Actually you said "he's 3 string t catcher an cn't really play qnother position". And Baldelli cleary disagrees with that, which is all that matters for fantasy terms.
            And that's an illustration to be clear in what you're trying to communicate, what you wrote was open to interpretation. I saw it one way, you say you meant it another...

And again, for the final time for me, just because he's playing another position, doesn't mean he play it well. Baldelli is going to keep the bat in the line-up any way that he can as long as he's hitting...the ball stops dropping, so will his PT. Just like any other player without a long resume'.

Have fun, it's been real...maybe we'll do this again sometime.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

And that's an illustration to be clear in what you're trying to communicate, what you wrote was open to interpretation. I saw it one way, you say you meant it another...
              I mean, if you read the quote I posted, no.... not really.

You can literally put the posts back to back and read them. "And maybe even get more abs than the real back up catcher. Or the real starter."

Pretty simple. I think my 7 year old would grasp that on the first read, but she's a pretty big baseball fan so there's that.

And then I explained it and you told me I was wrong about what I meant. LOL.

And again, for the final time for me, just because he's playing another position, doesn't mean he play it well.
              I didn't ever claim he was an above average fielder, simply that he was capable, which gives him ABs. You are only arguing with yourself about his skills, all I'm interested in is getting the ABs. I'm a fantasy fan, not a Twins fan.

Baldelli is going to keep the bat in the line-up any way that he can as long as he's hitting...
              Correct, Baldelli loves him and specifically said he wants him to play all over the diamond.

the ball stops dropping, so will his PT. Just like any other player without a long resume'.
              It's strange how this argument has flipped. It started out as a statement that he wasn't worth a buck because he was only a 3rd string catcher who couldn't play any other positions, but now the goalposts have moved to "if he doesn't hit he won't play". I mean, if you want to beat down that straw man, go for it! I can't disagree. These days almost any player who doesn't hit has trouble seeing the field. I'll definitely agree with that one.

Have fun, it's been real...maybe we'll do this again sometime.
              Later!

BTW if you ever want to correct me on what I meant when I posted something, feel free to PM me instead of posting.
              Last edited by Ken; 04-10-2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

BTW if you ever want to correct me on what I meant when I posted something, feel free to PM me instead of posting.
                  Thanks for the kind offer, but I feel things on a public board, are better played out in public. As long as there are no personal insults, let the discussion roll until it's played out. And this one is played out my friend...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks for the kind offer, but I feel things on a public board, are better played out in public. As long as there are no personal insults, let the discussion roll until it's played out. And this one is played out my friend...
                    I think you whiffed on the point. Arguing with me about what I meant in a post is not something that is interesting for this board.

If you want to give some insightful information about why you don't like Astudillo's glove, I'm interested (honestly, I'd like to hear if you have some stats to back it up). Let's hear it!

But if you want to tell me all about what I meant in post #42 and how you know more about what I meant than I know, blah blah blah, drivel drivel drivel, I can't tell you how ridiculously boring that is.

Lets keep the baseball board focused interesting baseball discussions (there's lots of them in this thread before it went South), and leave the personal "but no you meant something you aren't saying you meant" garbage out.

Thanks in advance my friend.

Comment

I am just glad an idiot dropped in my two catcher league. Willians 'dillo and Wellington 'tillo is a nice pair in an AL only league. If Altuve starts to hit, I might have something.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Astudillo continuing to suck in the field, just look at how terrible he is:

Willians Astudillo slides to his left to make a smooth stop and finishes with a strong throw to first for an impressive out in the 1st

Comment

Playing 1B today.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                            Playing 1B today.
                            Agree, hitting cleanup

Comment

Willians Astudillo demoted to AAA Rochester today after hitting .250/.273/.357 in 120 AB's...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X