No announcement yet.

2K19: Willians Astudillo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got him of WW in my AL only league. Idiots.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Got him of WW in my AL only league. Idiots.

J
      Careful, there are others in this thread who said they'd pass on him entirely.

Comment

I think i have figured out the secret to this guy's success.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Nope...he's 3 string t catcher an cn't really play qnother position. I'll pass....
          Hmmmm, word is that he is starting at 1B today, hitting out of the 3 hole. He's also played at 3B and LF this year already.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Hmmmm, word is that he is starting at 1B today, hitting out of the 3 hole. He's also played at 3B and LF this year already.

The Twins did just get rid of Tyler Austin. One more place Astudillo can play.

Comment

Just because they hand you a glove and point you out to a position doesn't mean that you can play it well, or even in a passable manner.

They'll keep putting him out there until he shows that he can't hit at the major league level, or that he's the statistical anomaly that neither walks, nor K's, but keeps putting the ball in play. 114 MLB plate appearances...3 walks, 3 strikeouts. It's a virtual impossibility, but he keeps putting the bat on the ball. I'd be happy to be proven wrong over the long haul, but we'll see.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Just because they hand you a glove and point you out to a position doesn't mean that you can play it well, or even in a passable manner.

They'll keep putting him out there until he shows that he can't hit at the major league level, or that he's the statistical anomaly that neither walks, nor K's, but keeps putting the ball in play. 114 MLB plate appearances...3 walks, 3 strikeouts. It's a virtual impossibility, but he keeps putting the bat on the ball. I'd be happy to be proven wrong over the long haul, but we'll see.
                That does seem impossible, wow
                ---------------------------------------------
                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                ---------------------------------------------
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

It seems that you and the twins have very different definitions of "can't play another position". He actually played an inning in CF last year. I think people look at his body and assume he's not athletic, and that's a mistake.

Here's a quote from spring training:

"Where don't we want to see him defensively, is the question," Baldelli said. "We are going to move him around. We're going to give him opportunities to show us what he can do. I think in addition to us thinking he can do it, I think that's what he wants. We know it's going to be fun to watch it happen."

Comment

It seems that you and the twins have very different definitions of "can't play another position". He actually played an inning in CF last year. I think people look at his body and assume he's not athletic, and that's a mistake.

Here's a quote from spring training:
                    I'm sure that everyone who plays in the major leagues is athletic enough to "play" just about every position...the question is whether they can play it well enough to not hurt the team while doing so. He's an athlete for sure, his hand-eye coordination is amazing. BUT, he really has no position with Cruz at DH and the tandem of catchers the Twins have, so they squeeze him in here and there, and will continue to do so as long as the hits keep falling in.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I'm sure that everyone who plays in the major leagues is athletic enough to "play" just about every position...
                      That's quite a bit of hyperbole. Albert Pujols will never be put in CF. Pablo Sandoval will never be put in CF. More to the catcher point, Welington Castillo will never be put in CF. Evan Gattis will never be put in CF. Astudillo was. Because he can play there.

He's athletic enough to play all over the field. And that's the whole point. He has more value than other backup catchers even though he is 3rd string because he has talent as a hitter AND because he can play other positions which gets him in the lineup.

Comment

That's quite a bit of hyperbole. Albert Pujols will never be put in CF. Pablo Sandoval will never be put in CF. More to the catcher point, Welington Castillo will never be put in CF. Evan Gattis will never be put in CF. Astudillo was. Because he can play there.

He's athletic enough to play all over the field. And that's the whole point. He has more value than other backup catchers even though he is 3rd string because he has talent as a hitter AND because he can play other positions which gets him in the lineup.
                        And maybe even get more abs than the real back up catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          And maybe even get more abs than the real back up catcher.
                          Or the real starter.

Garver has 15 PA
                          Castro has 12 PA

Astudillo has 22 PA

Comment

LOL...except he really isn't accomplished at ANY of those positions, including catcher...his bat is what gets him in the lineup, his glove is a necessary evil. And yeah, a 27 YO Pujols probably could have played an inning in center, as could any of the others that you mentioned. Just because Astudillo played 1 inning in CF does not make him an outfielder. Nor would an appearance at short make him a shortstop any more than Russel Martin pitching a successful inning makes him a pitcher.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

LOL...except he really isn't accomplished at ANY of those positions, including catcher...his bat is what gets him in the lineup, his glove is a necessary evil. And yeah, a 27 YO Pujols probably could have played an inning in center, as could any of the others that you mentioned. Just because Astudillo played 1 inning in CF does not make him an outfielder. Nor would an appearance at short make him a shortstop any more than Russel Martin pitching a successful inning makes him a pitcher.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this...
                              We need 5 games for in season qualify. 20 games for keepers.

I will agree to disagree with you on this one. I think this is the first time we have ever disagreed on anything...ever.

Comment

Or the real starter.

Garver has 15 PA
                                Castro has 12 PA

Astudillo has 22 PA
                                According to Baseball Reference:

Garver 30 innings played at catcher
                                Castro 29 innings
                                Astudillo 21 innings

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X