League Rules Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• League Rules Question

Hey all - Wanted to get some opinions on a rule in my league. About 12 years ago we added a Three Year Champion Race where we add up the stats for a three year period to determine a winner. So, for example, the HRs from the three years get added up and points are given out just like a regular season. Simple enough. First someone suggested that we add up the total points from the standings for the three years instead of using the stats. Now someone is suggesting that we do points based on where you finish each year. 12 points for first, 11 for second etc. To me this makes very little sense as you get the same amount of points if you finish a season winning by 20 points or half a point.

I think the way we do it, with stats, is the way to go. I wanted to get people's thoughts and maybe someone has a different idea.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

If you haven't done so, you might want to construct the results from these methods and see if there are actually any meaningful differences to digest.

During the season is a running 3 year tally kept so that everyone knows where they are at in the 3 year contest? Just wondering if the added simplicity of the points based method is part of their argument i.e. easier to know where you stand in the 3 year

Comment

We do it based on standings points. So if you get 105.5 at the end of the season, that goes towards your 3-year score. Doing it by individual stats seems kind of crazy.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to run the numbers to see how different it would be. But I am going to do that. In the third season I will send out an update every so often so people know where they are. The first person to talk about this think that it will increase trading.

JC - How is it crazy?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          We do it based on standings points. So if you get 105.5 at the end of the season, that goes towards your 3-year score. Doing it by individual stats seems kind of crazy.
          As does RJEL.

Comment

I really like the idea that you can look at the specific categories in the final year and build your team with that in mind. If you see that you can improve in steals you go after someone to help you there. I think it can lead itself to more trading too as you will want to focus on certain categories even if you are out of the money for the current season.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              I haven't had a chance to run the numbers to see how different it would be. But I am going to do that. In the third season I will send out an update every so often so people know where they are. The first person to talk about this think that it will increase trading.

JC - How is it crazy?
              Seems like a lot of work to me, and I'm not sure I see the upside. Also seems easier to get buried, but I haven't done the math. You're kind of forcing everyone to compete in every category. I guess that could be good. But someone could easily win by punting HR/RBI one year, and still be in big trouble in the 3-year standings.

Comment

I personally prefer points, easier to check. And while this is a bit specific, you don't have to worry about a rules change (such as a change from using avg to obp)
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                X