2K19: Corbin Burnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K19: Corbin Burnes

Most indications are that he will be moved back to starting and has a great chance at winning a spot in the Brewers rotation sometime in 2019.

Milwaukee Brewers’ Corbin Burnes is secret weapon
    by Nick Michalski 2 months ago Follow @MichalskiNick

Corbin Burnes is unknown for now, but he’s the Milwaukee Brewers’ secret weapon this season and by this time in 2019, he will be a household name.
    Despite the overall power of a team’s arsenal, it’s always helpful to have a secret weapon. For the Milwaukee Brewers, that hidden-in-plain-sight asset is mild-mannered, bespectacled pitcher Corbin Burnes (7-0, 2.61 ERA, 38 IP, 35 SO, 1.00 WHIP).

No one paying attention will forget the 2018 Brewers’ powerhouse bullpen and its eclectic cast of characters. A historic performance by Josh Hader, clutch pitching from Jeremy Jeffress and Joakim Soria, and a dramatic rebound from Corey Knebel top the bill.

But Corbin Burnes, only 24-years-old this month, is the most unexpected and stealthy force of nature for Milwaukee’s pen this season.

Evidently the first man with the given name Corbin in Major League history, Burnes was drafted by the Brewers in the fourth round of the 2016 Draft. He has since rocketed through the system in a flash, with ridiculous production (2.77 ERA, 262 SO in 260 IP, 9.1 SO/9, 0.4 HR/9).

The Brewers thought so much of his amazing run, they named him 2017 Minor League Pitcher of the Year and called Burnes up to the big league club by July 10. In his first appearance, he logged a save against the Marlins and has been a Brewer ever since.

Burnes has tossed two shutout innings in the postseason thus far, effectively bridging the gap after Brandon Woodruff started Game 1 against Colorado. Burnes has been money: A studious, efficient and versatile arm with a lot of different looks for hitters.

The Brewers have repeatedly said he will be a starter in 2019, and it’s easy to see why they reportedly refused to include Burnes in any trade scenarios over the summer. He’s a joy to watch, and the prospect of a rotation of Chacin/Anderson/Nelson/Burnes/Peralta or some such in 2019 is exciting.

Indeed, Burnes seems to have a really good idea of what he’s doing with his attack plan, and doesn’t mess around throwing a lot of extra pitches trying to bait swinging strikes. Refreshingly, he comes right after hitters and keeps his teammates active in the field.

It’s anyone’s guess as to how well Burnes will back up this year’s performance if he does indeed find himself back in a familiar starting role in 2019. But all signs so far point toward enormous potential for this homegrown pitcher who may represent a significant rotation piece for the Brewers for many years.

Outside of Brewer Nation, Corbin Burnes is not well known now. This year, he’s Milwaukee’s secret weapon out of the bullpen. But this time next year, he could be on the verge of becoming a household name.

Brewers' Corbin Burnes: Still viewed as starter long term
    by RotoWire Staff Jul 23, 2018 • 1 min read UPDATE Jul 23, 2018, 2:48pm

Brewers manager Craig Counsell said Sunday that there's a "100 percent" chance that Burnes will return to a full-time starting role in 2019, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

Though he predictably endured some hiccups while pitching at altitude at Triple-A Colorado Springs this season, Burnes, who posted a 5.15 ERA and 1.46 WHIP over 78.2 innings with the affiliate, remains one of the top prospects in Milwaukee's system. As such, the Brewers are confident the 23-year-old will seize a starting role with the big club at some point in 2019, but for now, Burnes will get familiarized with major-league hitters while serving as a multi-inning bullpen arm. He only has three appearances under his belt thus far, but Burnes has impressed each time out, collecting a win and a save and surrendering no runs over six innings while striking out eight.

I like a few of the options at the back of the Brewers rotation but their depth concerns me. Burnes and Peralta are nice cheap targets, but as of now the Brewers have at least 8 options to fill 5 slots.

Will Woodruff continue as a reliever? What are they going to do with Zach Davies who had a decent September in the rotation? And Suter? What will Nelson look like coming off injury? There are so many options for SP3-SP5 that I'm concerned about investing too heavily in any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I like a few of the options at the back of the Brewers rotation but their depth concerns me. Burnes and Peralta are nice cheap targets, but as of now the Brewers have at least 8 options to fill 5 slots.

Will Woodruff continue as a reliever? What are they going to do with Zach Davies who had a decent September in the rotation? And Suter? What will Nelson look like coming off injury? There are so many options for SP3-SP5 that I'm concerned about investing too heavily in any of them.
      I'm a firm believer that talent wins out in the end. Not saying he's guaranteed a rotation spot early, but I do believe he will win it sometime in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
        I'm a firm believer that talent wins out in the end. Not saying he's guaranteed a rotation spot early, but I do believe he will win it sometime in 2019.
        I think the expression goes, Draft the skills, not the role. I can see that.

Burnes will be one for the expanded role thread (assuming chancellor has time to do one).

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
          No doubt that talent wins out eventually, but that's not the only criteria. If there's a similar talent without all the competition hurdles you have to consider that a better option.

Comment

Isn't Suter gone for the year after TJ surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              Isn't Suter gone for the year after TJ surgery?
              Yes, good call - that's what I get for looking at an old depth chart.

Comment

No doubt that talent wins out eventually, but that's not the only criteria. If there's a similar talent without all the competition hurdles you have to consider that a better option.
                I agree.

All the talent in the world does not matter if you are sitting on the bench.

That said I appreciate this post and post like this as I will either pick up one or two of these types in dollar days or in the first few rounds of our reserve draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  That said I appreciate this post and post like this as I will either pick up one or two of these types in dollar days or in the first few rounds of our reserve draft.
                  Same.

So how about this - Burnes or Freddy Peralta, who ya picking in dollar days at the end of a mixed league auction?

Comment

Same.

So how about this - Burnes or Freddy Peralta, who ya picking in dollar days at the end of a mixed league auction?
                    If the auction was today, it would be Burnes.

I need to see more of Peralta to see if the hitters figure out his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      If the auction was today, it would be Burnes.

I need to see more of Peralta to see if the hitters figure out his stuff.
                      No problem if you want to go with Burnes but I'm not following the logic. Burnes has 40 LESS IP and he hasn't started a single game at the mlb level. If you are worried about hitters figuring one of them out, it should be Burnes right?

Comment

No problem if you want to go with Burnes but I'm not following the logic. Burnes has 40 LESS IP and he hasn't started a single game at the mlb level. If you are worried about hitters figuring one of them out, it should be Burnes right?
                        Peralta is more of an unusual pitcher while Burnes has your more typical power approach.

Peralta has a greater boom or bust potential.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                          Peralta is more of an unusual pitcher while Burnes has your more typical power approach.

Peralta has a greater boom or bust potential.
                          Yes, you stated it better than I did. Peralta relies more on deception than Burnes.

Comment

BTW, great post Hobbs. Any others?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              btw, great post hobbs. Any others?
                              +1

j
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                              X