No announcement yet.

2K19: Corbin Burnes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me excited. Glad he won a spot in the rotation. He's my sleeper for this year, along with Chris Paddack.

Comment

"Paddack" and "sleeper" left the barn a month ago.

Paddack is probably the most OVERrated SP in all of redraft leagues. if he clears 100 IP with the Padres in 2019, color me surprised.

in a dynasty league? sure, go for it.

in a keeper league, if your double-digit bid gets topped, walk away from the auction table and toward the crack pipe.

I do love me some Burnes, though he's not available in my league.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        "Paddack" and "sleeper" left the barn a month ago.

Paddack is probably the most OVERrated SP in all of redraft leagues. if he clears 100 IP with the Padres in 2019, color me surprised.

in a dynasty league? sure, go for it.

in a keeper league, if your double-digit bid gets topped, walk away from the auction table and toward the crack pipe.

I do love me some Burnes, though he's not available in my league.
        If Paddack was on my dynasty team last year I can call him whatever I want

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
          Call me excited. Glad he won a spot in the rotation. He's my sleeper for this year, along with Chris Paddack.
          Our resident Brewers homer made a strange trade about a month ago. He traded a $28 Cain for Burnes 10F (free until activated). Then on Sat. cut down day he dropped him. I was confused by both moves. Now I am thinking he was gambling that Burnes would make the rotation and he might get him back for less. He would have had him free this year but $10 in the second. Maybe he thinks anything under 6-7 is a win for him.

He has a lot of money, but also a lot of slots to fill.

What do you pay for Burnes at auction. NL only 12 team? As a result of this thread and Burnes getting dropped he is now on my target list. How far do I push it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Our resident Brewers homer made a strange trade about a month ago. He traded a $28 Cain for Burnes 10F (free until activated). Then on Sat. cut down day he dropped him. I was confused by both moves. Now I am thinking he was gambling that Burnes would make the rotation and he might get him back for less. He would have had him free this year but $10 in the second. Maybe he thinks anything under 6-7 is a win for him.

What do you pay for Burnes at auction. NL only 12 team? As a result of this thread and Burnes getting dropped he is now on my target list. How far do I push it?
            Not an auction player, never have been, so I'm the wrong guy to ask that. I only play in one baseball league and it's a no-salary keep forever dynasty league.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

I think he's going to go double digits, easy. Probably $14-$18 range. I'm bullish on the guy but there's still a lot of ways for him to fall short of 150 innings. I am not sure I'd pay it... especially if a boring veteran with a similar projection would be available for 9.

Comment

Sell me on Burnes. He looks good but he doesn't look special to me. I'm likely missing something.

Is he getting bid up because he was great as a reliever?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Sell me on Burnes. He looks good but he doesn't look special to me. I'm likely missing something.

Is he getting bid up because he was great as a reliever?
                  He was a starter in the minors, but was used as a reliever when he was brought up. They had every intention of making him a starter long term.

Comment

He was a starter in the minors, but was used as a reliever when he was brought up. They had every intention of making him a starter long term.
                    Yes I understand that. His ratios are great though b/c he was used as a reliever. I'm wondering if the market is buying into the ratios when they should really expect those to go way up when moved back to a starter.

What's the selling point on Burnes? He looks good, but seems like he's being overhyped to me.

Comment

Yes I understand that. His ratios are great though b/c he was used as a reliever. I'm wondering if the market is buying into the ratios when they should really expect those to go way up when moved back to a starter.

What's the selling point on Burnes? He looks good, but seems like he's being overhyped to me.
                      How loosely should we use terms like overhyped? This is the way I look at it. He added a change up and sinker and now has a 5 pitch mix. If I liked him as a starter in the minors, he shows well in spring training, what's not to like?

ETA: When I said TJ I was thinking about Paddack. Burnes didn't have TJ as far as I know.
                      Last edited by Roy Hobbs; 03-26-2019, 01:49 PM.

Comment

How loosely should we use terms like overhyped?
                        Not sure what your question is. He seems overhyped. My hope was that someone would go into detail as to why we should expect him to earn the price he's going for.

This is the way I look at it. He added a change up and sinker and now has a 5 pitch mix.
                        Good start, thanks for this. How much will he use those 5 pitches and how strong are they? Does he have 2 plus pitches and 3 that he'll rarely use? If he just added 2 new pitches how often will he be using them in game situations?

If I liked him as a starter in the minors, then he comes back strong after TJ, he shows well in spring training,
                        When did he have TJ?

what's not to like?
                        Struggled against AAA competition last year when he should have dominated. Control is not elite. Looks good not great to me, but again I'm not an expert and I was honestly looking for some information on why he's being bid up. If the answer is last years' numbers as a reliever then I'm not buying.

Comment

How loosely should we use terms like overhyped? This is the way I look at it. He added a change up and sinker and now has a 5 pitch mix. If I liked him as a starter in the minors, then he comes back strong after TJ, he shows well in spring training, what's not to like?
                          If you have 5 pitches, is that like having two quarterbacks meaning you have none?

Burnes has a sick slider and a pretty good fastball. It's why he was such a good reliever. He needs an effective 3rd pitch. I'm not sure yet if the change or curve are there. But if one of them ever gets there, then he has an elite, top-25 kind of arsenal. The more immediate appeal is that even with just 2 pitches, he can be a high-K, middling ratios kind of guy. We used to call those AJ Burnetts (I'm old) but I guess now the comp is, I dunno, Eovaldi?

Comment

According to CBS, he had a good changeup in college but lost the feel. So maybe that will be the 3rd pitch he needs.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              If you have 5 pitches, is that like having two quarterbacks meaning you have none?

Burnes has a sick slider and a pretty good fastball. It's why he was such a good reliever. He needs an effective 3rd pitch. I'm not sure yet if the change or curve are there. But if one of them ever gets there, then he has an elite, top-25 kind of arsenal. The more immediate appeal is that even with just 2 pitches, he can be a high-K, middling ratios kind of guy. We used to call those AJ Burnetts (I'm old) but I guess now the comp is, I dunno, Eovaldi?
                              Perfect, that's what I'm seeing too. Has an arsenal that plays up as a reliever, needs that 3rd effective pitch to be successful as a starter. Could happen, could struggle. Makes sense.

Thanks for the confirmation JC.

Comment

Not sure what your question is. He seems overhyped. My hope was that someone would go into detail as to why we should expect him to earn the price he's going for.

Good start, thanks for this. How much will he use those 5 pitches and how strong are they? Does he have 2 plus pitches and 3 that he'll rarely use? If he just added 2 new pitches how often will he be using them in game situations?

When did he have TJ?

Struggled against AAA competition last year when he should have dominated. Control is not elite. Looks good not great to me, but again I'm not an expert and I was honestly looking for some information on why he's being bid up. If the answer is last years' numbers as a reliever then I'm not buying.
                                My mistake about Tommy John surgery. I was thinking about Chris Paddack.

Comment

Working...
                                X