Three weeks out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three weeks out.

My 16 team league will start declaring keepers and options around the 25th, ie three weeks. This coincides with Yahoo beginning its season. It's a H2H league with OBA and Holds.

My tentative roster looks like this:

C - Carson Kelly StL (26)
    1B - Paul Goldschmidt Ari (K)
    2B - Raul Adalberto Mondesi KC (w)
    3B - Matt Chapman (8)
    SS - Amed Rosario NYM (w)
    CI - Matt Olson Oak (5)
    MI -
    OF - Ronald Acuna Atl (K)
    OF - Christian Yelich Mil (K)
    OF - Víctor Robles Was (18)
    Util -

SP - Robbie Ray Ari (6)
    SP - Jack Flaherty StL (18)
    SP - Andrew Heaney (trade)
    SP - Shane Bieber Cle (w)
    RP -
    RP -
    RP -
    P -
    P -

BN - Scott Kingery or Teoscar Hernandez (12)
    BN - Brendan Rodgers Col - SS (13)
    BN - Luis Robert CWS - OF (24)
    BN - Shohei Ohtani - SP (21)

The numbers indicate option rounds, thus

Round 1*: Paul Goldschmidt
    Round 2*: Christian Yelich
    Round 3*: Ronald Acuna
    Round 4:
    Round 5: Matt Olson
    Round 6: Robbie Ray
    Round 7:
    Round 8: Matt Chapman
    Round 9:
    Round 10`: Scott Kingery or Teoscar Hernandez
    Round 11`: Adalberto Mondesi
    Round 12`: Amed Rosario
    Round 13`: Brendan Rodgers
    Round 14`: Shane Bieber
    Round 15`: Ryan o'Hearn (trade for Andrew Heaney)
    Round 16`:
    Round 17`: Victor Robles
    Round 18: Jack Flaherty
    Round 19:
    Round 20:
    Round 21: Shohei Ohtani (SP)
    Round 22:
    Round 23:
    Round 24: Luis Robert
    Round 25:
    Round 26: Carson Kelly

Note on round #10. I am using an available player to push back the round of Mondesi, Rosario and Bieber. This makes Mondesi and Rosario a round cheaper in 2020 and gives a whole extra year of control on Bieber.

Figure the actual draft will start before the end of the month. What would your basic strategy be? The round #4 pick will be top 100-110. But rounds #7 and #9 are more like 160-ish and 200-ish due to the large number of players held on options, eg I am holding Jack Flaherty in round #17.

SP tends to be premium in the draft while RP is somewhat discounted. I can get a useful player with the round #4 pick. #9, not so much unless it's a RP or a C. Goldschmidt is on the trade block. I have nibbles involving a SP ace and an elite OF. I have atrade in place for Andrew Heaney.

How would you approach the draft? The first round looks unusually grim. I have #6 or #7.

Craig Kimbrel
    Aroldis Chapman
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Carlos Martinez
    Dee Gordon
    Sean Doolittle
    Nelson Cruz
    Raisel Iglesias
    Wade Davis
    Rougned Odor (maybe)

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Does the Ohtani (SP) mean that you only have him as a pitcher? If so I think you have to trade him, your team is too good to carry a blank with that much value for a year. If you can't trade Ohtani for a strong SP I guess you have to draft one unless your league structure makes dumping SP a palatable option.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I have a hard time imagining using a pick that high (your #4) on RP when your SP needs so much work. Even if you could get a nice stabilizer there. I'd rather go SP, or I would strongly consider just taking the best available hitter and loading up on late round SPs. Unless a good SP happens to fall into your lap.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I have a hard time imagining using a pick that high (your #4) on RP when your SP needs so much work. Even if you could get a nice stabilizer there. I'd rather go SP, or I would strongly consider just taking the best available hitter and loading up on late round SPs. Unless a good SP happens to fall into your lap.
        I'm with you. In a 6x6 I'd take the best hitter in r4. Hitters can contribute 6 categories, SP contribute in 4, RP contribute in ~3.

Comment

Yes. This is a Yahoo league and the idiots split Ohtani into hitter and pitcher. I have him at nearly no cost this year and can make a strong argument to owning the whole player if he is recombined.

In round four I expect top pick 6th or 7th, so all the top 75 players will be gone. Last year 227 players were retained, including 86 of the top 100 and 124 of the top 150 by Yahoo rankings. Still, a player or SP in the #90-#110 range will be available. The 7th and 9th are good RP rounds. SP will be dicey by the 7th, but some closers may still be around and it's also a good place for MI and CI.

Practical note: Consider rounds 4,7,9 to be one year only. Prospect hunting begins in round #15. Flaherty was drafted round #21
          Trade note. There is a good chance I can get a top 10 SP for Goldschmidt.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Something I have available but I had not considered cost-effective is an option on Yu Darvish. It would cost my first pick, which seemed too high.

However, I did some modeling and the pick would be 6th on a board like this. Numbers are by Austin Bristow. Both Paul Sporer and Pitcher List rank him the #33 SP, which is compatable with this board.

Kenley Jansen 82
            Justin Turner 90
            Wil Myers 92
            Aroldis Chapman 97
            Nelson Cruz 100
            Dee Gordon 106
            Masahiro Tanaka 108
            Raisel Iglesias 111
            Robinson Canó 112
            Yu Darvish 117
            Willson Contreras 121
            Rougned Odor 123

Given my other pitching, should I consider keeping Darvish as a one year SP?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Something I have available but I had not considered cost-effective is an option on Yu Darvish. It would cost my first pick, which seemed too high.

However, I did some modeling and the pick would be 6th on a board like this. Numbers are by Austin Bristow. Both Paul Sporer and Pitcher List rank him the #33 SP, which is compatable with this board.

Kenley Jansen 82
              Justin Turner 90
              Wil Myers 92
              Aroldis Chapman 97
              Nelson Cruz 100
              Dee Gordon 106
              Masahiro Tanaka 108
              Raisel Iglesias 111
              Robinson Canó 112
              Yu Darvish 117
              Willson Contreras 121
              Rougned Odor 123

Given my other pitching, should I consider keeping Darvish as a one year SP?

J
              Who would you be giving up? I'm not a huge Darvish fan personally, but if the cost is ONLY your 1st pick, maybe? I dunno.

Comment

Who would you be giving up? I'm not a huge Darvish fan personally, but if the cost is ONLY your 1st pick, maybe? I dunno.
                Correct, it is only my pick from that board as depleted.

I am leaning to keeping the pick. Odor I would prefer, Cano I can handle, and both give me needed depth. Assuming Turner is gone, I have a good chance of taking Darvish anyway. If not, I can live with Nelson Cruz or Raisel Iglesias for a year.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I am leaning to keeping the pick. Odor I would prefer, Cano I can handle, and both give me needed depth. Assuming Turner is gone, I have a good chance of taking Darvish anyway. If not, I can live with Nelson Cruz or Raisel Iglesias for a year.

J
                  Who are the next few SPs after that group? I don't see the upside in locking yourself into Darvish with that projected first round.

Comment

J
                    I would Odor or Cruz with that pick before Darvish.

Comment

Who are the next few SPs after that group? I don't see the upside in locking yourself into Darvish with that projected first round.
                      That was my first reaction. On inspection, it was closer than I thought but I have not changed my mind. Throw him back and hope someone else takes him.

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I would Odor or Cruz with that pick before Darvish.
                      In spite of the ranking, Odor would be my preferred outcome assuming Turner is gone.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

It has already taken more than three weeks, but hopefully by the end of the month, Y! will have the 2019 season up.

There has been a significant development. I have reached an agreement in principle to trade the rights to Ryan o'Hearn for the rights to Andrew Heaney. The deal will cost my round 15 pick, roughly #250. Heaney has an additional year, possibly two.

The new rotation looks like this Jack Flaherty, Robbie Ray, Andrew Heaney, and Justin Bieber.

My best guess draft board looks like this. I pick 6th or 7th.
                        Craig Kimbrel
                        Aroldis Chapman
                        Edwin Encarnacion
                        Carlos Martinez
                        Dee Gordon
                        Sean Doolittle
                        Nelson Cruz
                        Raisel Iglesias
                        Wade Davis

Possibly also Rougned Odor, possibly not. His owner would have to pass this round to keep him, but he's considering it. If not, he picks before I do. I now expect Turner to be kept.

Pickings are very thin this year. With Heaney I can afford to take a closer, assuming EEE and Cruz are gone.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                        X