Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Keeper list quality

  1. #1
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,725

    Keeper list quality

    RJEL. 18 teams, 5x5 using OBP, pretty high inflation (top players go for 50-60, Altuve went for 62 last year). 10 keepers plus a bunch of minor leaguers. This is what I'm looking at:

    Yonder Alonso 5/option
    Mondesi 1B
    Pham 5/option
    Piscotty 10B
    Stanton 46/option
    Trout 25X
    Flaherty 1A
    Greinke 24/option
    Morton 2/option
    Sale 51B
    Bieber 8B

    (would need to skip one of those)

    minors:
    Tatis 3
    Burnes 5
    Gore 6
    the first pick, which is either Paddack or Brujan or someone drafted last year
    and a bunch of mostly irrelevant guys

    There's one team with an excellent keeper list and a couple teams that are probably better than mine, but it's obviously not terrible. Obviously it doesn't hurt to start looking at offers, but should I even be considering trading Trout before the season starts?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

  2. #2
    Triple-A BigJonEmpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    RJEL. 18 teams, 5x5 using OBP, pretty high inflation (top players go for 50-60, Altuve went for 62 last year). 10 keepers plus a bunch of minor leaguers. This is what I'm looking at:

    Yonder Alonso 5/option
    Mondesi 1B
    Pham 5/option
    Piscotty 10B
    Stanton 46/option
    Trout 25X
    Flaherty 1A
    Greinke 24/option
    Morton 2/option
    Sale 51B
    Bieber 8B

    (would need to skip one of those)

    minors:
    Tatis 3
    Burnes 5
    Gore 6
    the first pick, which is either Paddack or Brujan or someone drafted last year
    and a bunch of mostly irrelevant guys

    There's one team with an excellent keeper list and a couple teams that are probably better than mine, but it's obviously not terrible. Obviously it doesn't hurt to start looking at offers, but should I even be considering trading Trout before the season starts?
    I would keep Trout. It looks like a strong group to me. I'd drop Alonso most likely depending on what's out there.


  3. #3
    Big Leaguer Big Tymer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,468
    Bieber would be outside looking in for me but could also see tossing back Stanton and using that $ at the draft somewhere else.

    Trading Trout is tough as you'd need quite a haul to have that make sense but yes I'd probably put him out there to see what came back. In season deals will be tough since he's on an expiring contract and thus only other contending teams would be interested. However, if you're contending and they're contending then teams probably aren't apt to overpay. Thus, if you plan to contend then trading before the season makes more sense (a bit counter-intuitive) as the market is bigger. However, if you were a rebuilder (which I know you're not) then trading after the season is better as you should be able to target whichever pieces you wanted.

    However, if you're planning to contend it may just make sense to keep him for one last run and if in late July you're out you could probably still get a decent prospect back.

  4. #4
    All Star Hornsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    Posts
    9,503
    Pretty much what Rick said...I'd probably extend Pham for at least a year, and really explore dealing Trout. You'd have to get at least one stud producing in the majors, and one top 20 prospect, along with something else. Don't know if I'd keep Sale at 51 after his (very minor) issues late in the season, but he's a hell of an anchor. Agree with Rick again, if you want to keep Sale, get rid of Stanton.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

    "Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    28,401
    Stanton would be the odd man out for me.

    I would keep Trout. He will still bring value if you have to trade him in season. Your team seems good enough that if you have a good auction you can compete.

    I would give Pham a one year raise and no other raises.

  6. #6
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,175
    Yea Stanton is the one I'd drop as well. Put him on the block and see if you get any decent offers...I'm guessing you won't. And trading Trout now only makes sense if you're rebuilding IMO.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

  7. #7
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,139
    I think this is a very good list for an 18 team league. It looks better than some of my competitors in a 15 team mixed keeper.

    I dont know that Stanton is actually that bad at 46 in this league since it is OBP. In an AVG league he'd certainly be a drop.

    No one has mentioned it yet but I think Greinke might be a guy whose name is bigger than his value. So if you are looking to make a trade I'd explore that path as well.

    If I had to drop today it would be Alonso for me, but he's certainly not a bad option as a 10th keeper at $5.

    Also I'd keep Trout. Go for the win, you have the team to do it.

  8. #8
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,725
    After looking around a bit, I don't think it's quite as dire as I thought. I haven't checked every team but here are a couple for comparison:

    Muncy 9B, GTorres 5A, Bregman 6/opt, LCastillo 1/opt, Vlad Jr, VRobles, BRodgers
    Smoak 1/opt, Albies 5B, JRamirez 12/2020, Story 5/opt, Acuna 6A, Benintendi 6B, Betts 20/2020, Clevinger 1/opt, Syndergaard 12/2020, Senzel, KTucker
    Aguilar 7B, Moncada 6B, Profar 6B, CSeager 6/opt, Bader 6A, Meadows 6A, Osuna 7X
    CTaylor 4/opt, Gennett 3/opt, Nimmo 2B, Soto 5A, Brantley 13B, ERosario 2/opt, Buehler 2A, all of the good minor league pitchers (Keller, McKenzie, Puk, SSanchez, Sheffield, Soroka, Toussaint, Whitley)
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

  9. #9
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl View Post
    After looking around a bit, I don't think it's quite as dire as I thought. I haven't checked every team but here are a couple for comparison:

    Muncy 9B, GTorres 5A, Bregman 6/opt, LCastillo 1/opt, Vlad Jr, VRobles, BRodgers
    Smoak 1/opt, Albies 5B, JRamirez 12/2020, Story 5/opt, Acuna 6A, Benintendi 6B, Betts 20/2020, Clevinger 1/opt, Syndergaard 12/2020, Senzel, KTucker
    Aguilar 7B, Moncada 6B, Profar 6B, CSeager 6/opt, Bader 6A, Meadows 6A, Osuna 7X
    CTaylor 4/opt, Gennett 3/opt, Nimmo 2B, Soto 5A, Brantley 13B, ERosario 2/opt, Buehler 2A, all of the good minor league pitchers (Keller, McKenzie, Puk, SSanchez, Sheffield, Soroka, Toussaint, Whitley)
    So when's the parade scheduled for the Betts/Acuna/JRam/Albies/Beni team?

    Looks like you have the 2nd best keeper list, but goodness is that one team loaded.

  10. #10
    Administrator revo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fuggedabboutit
    Posts
    18,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    So when's the parade scheduled for the Betts/Acuna/JRam/Albies/Beni team?

    Looks like you have the 2nd best keeper list, but goodness is that one team loaded.
    Yeah, don't remind us (says the guy who (gulp) traded away Betts after his rookie year).


    I don't think you can keep Stanton and Sale, so it's one of those two getting tossed back.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •