Page 448 of 467 FirstFirst ... 348398438446447448449450458 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 4666

Thread: *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Quote Originally Posted by heyelander View Post
    PONY Minor league draft started last night .... I've got a list of like 60 names, and the 5th player taken wasn't on it. I go do some searching and he's the top International signing, Jasson Dominguez. I was curious your thoughts on the highlighted part below Mike. I accept a lot of it, but "right more often than not" still seems optimistic to me. How do you feel?
    International scouting is way behind domestic amateur scouting in terms of implementing technology and analytics. On top of that, they have to assess players at age 13-14 internationally instead of age 17-18 domestically. The Yankees are toward the top of the pack both in terms of what they are doing with tech/analytics in international and in the ability of their international scouts to identify talent.

International is probably in the position the draft was 20-30 years ago with a ton of mistake picks/signings being made. But the reward is huge when you hit on a player.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Makes sense ....

Has anyone done any longitudinal study of whether teams in general are getting better at drafting? Like in 1980, 40% of first round picks, 30% of second round picks, 10% of third round picks, etc, made it to the ML, but now 55% of first rounders make it etc?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Makes sense ....

Has anyone done any longitudinal study of whether teams in general are getting better at drafting? Like in 1980, 40% of first round picks, 30% of second round picks, 10% of third round picks, etc, made it to the ML, but now 55% of first rounders make it etc?
    I am not aware of a public study. Private studies I have seen definitely indicate that teams are getting better at drafting.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

hmm .... I'm bored .... maybe I'll get REALLY bored.

hmm .... I'm bored .... maybe I'll get REALLY bored.
    Drastic measures? Boredom lifts!

man, Tyler Kolek has some serious command issues.

man, Tyler Kolek has some serious command issues.
    My son and I saw him pitch as an amateur here in southeast Texas. That was two years before we started using slow-motion video in the draft. I often wonder what Kolek and Aiken would have looked like as amateurs on slow-motion video and what would have turned out differently as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    My son and I saw him pitch as an amateur here in southeast Texas. That was two years before we started using slow-motion video in the draft. I often wonder what Kolek and Aiken would have looked like as amateurs on slow-motion video and what would have turned out differently as a result.
    looks like you avoided the big storm ? Stay safe and dry, my friend
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    looks like you avoided the big storm ? Stay safe and dry, my friend
    Yeah, just a few showers from the outer rain bands here. Hopefully people in Louisiana are okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Yeah, just a few showers from the outer rain bands here. Hopefully people in Louisiana are okay.
    Yeah, hopefully. I read some interesting articles about how this combined with the high river flow may impact the gulf. Sounds like no one really knows.
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.