*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Will be some variant of a Decades draft ... unless someone has an objection that.

I'll put up some polls to decide what we add to the pot.

1. Ko's might be an option this time - everyone has 5 players they can eliminate, that can only be used between rounds 6 and 15 (for example).
    2. I think history says it's better to leave WC's off Decades drafts, right?

Participants:

Johnny
    Feral
    DMT
    Ken
    MJL
    TSG
    Mookie
    Hacko
    Last edited by johnnya24; 12-21-2018, 03:00 PM.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post

Will be some variant of a Decades draft ... unless someone has an objection that.

I'll put up some polls to decide what we add to the pot.

1. Ko's might be an option this time - everyone has 5 players they can eliminate, that can only be used between rounds 6 and 15 (for example).
    2. I think history says it's better to leave WC's off Decades drafts, right?

Participants:

Johnny
    So does this mean MookieTyme, Heyelander and ALTID4 will also participate ? I'm in as well. Would there be any restriction on KO's from a particular decade ?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    ---------------------------------------------
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      So does this mean MookieTyme, Heyelander and ALTID4 will also participate ? I'm in as well. Would there be any restriction on KO's from a particular decade ?
      Can I borrow a johnny alter-ego for prep week?
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        i'm not sure about AltID4 yet. I was thinking a post-Apu Indian-American from Texas, with a diabloesque predisposition towards arguing with people. It's a work in progress. I'll let ya know

As for KO's, yeah, they'd have to exclude certain decades for both hitting and pitching.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Can I borrow a johnny alter-ego for prep week?
          He's busy trying to find a job for Heyelander.

Comment

i'm not sure about AltID4 yet. I was thinking a post-Apu Indian-American from Texas, with a diabloesque predisposition towards arguing with people. It's a work in progress. I'll let ya know.
            Hey, wait a minute...
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

I think I got relegated in VD12. Where's the Championship League forum?

Comment

He's busy trying to find a job for Heyelander.
                That's fine, I'll settle for the other one.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Welcome to the show rook!
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

For what it's worth, note that on the standings tab, if we were using additive scoring, you're right in the middle. I'll leave it to someone competent to tell you what you did wrong, but my guess would be (a) if you're dumping that many pitching categories you really shouldn't have twos in the hitting side also, and (b) as much as he maybe shouldn't have been available at the time you took him Warren Spahn is contributing approximately nothing to your team as one of your wild-cards. Replacing him with Bill Upham (career 142 IP, 7 W, 54 K; BY 121 IP, 6 W, 46 K) costs you three points in the standings, and replacing him with some closer who had a good career is worth about +7. In multiplicative scoring, turning those twos into threes is a big deal and locking up those 15s at the top of a category is almost irrelevant compared to 14s and 13s.
                    Last edited by mjl; 12-21-2018, 01:29 PM.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'm in. Would still love to do a franchise draft at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        For what it's worth, note that on the standings tab, if we were using additive scoring, you're right in the middle. I'll leave it to someone competent to tell you what you did wrong, but my guess would be (a) if you're dumping that many pitching categories you really shouldn't have twos in the hitting side also, and (b) as much as he maybe shouldn't have been available at the time you took him Warren Spahn is contributing approximately nothing to your team as one of your wild-cards. Replacing him with Bill Upham (career 142 IP, 7 W, 54 K; BY 121 IP, 6 W, 46 K) costs you three points in the standings, and replacing him with some closer who had a good career is worth about +7. In multiplicative scoring, turning those twos into threes is a big deal and locking up those 15s at the top of a category is almost irrelevant compared to 14s and 13s.
                        Thanks! Very good info.

A few things I knew I did wrong:

1) Not valuing closers... basically at all - this comes from my regular roto fantasy experience
                        2) No basis for replacement levels. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
                        3) General lack of prep/plan. Just winging it for a first run through since I didn't know what I was doing. Wasn't expecting to be very competitive (sounds like an excuse because, hell, it is!) In a typically roto league I use some custom built tools, but to create those tools I wanted to have a better understanding of the game first.

If I go at it again I'll be more prepared.
                        Last edited by Ken; 12-21-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

2) No basis for replacement value. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement value. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
                          ah that makes sense then. Using a fourth-round pick and one of your precious deadball pitchers on a guy who actively hurts you in all of your ratio categories and doesn't help much in SO just because he has a QUIZY letter is hurting you a lot also. Not that he isn't a reasonable choice in general, but note in VD9 he went in the 12th round. (And note that I spent a 10th round deadball pick on a Z pitcher that wasn't even taken in VD9, so I don't really have room to talk here. I didn't exactly have a plan either.)

And for the record, I don't think I've ever been in the top half of the standings this late before so I assume I'm not going to finish that near the top, and most of these guys have done 10x the VDs I have, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.
                          Last edited by mjl; 12-21-2018, 02:00 PM.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                            Using a fourth-round pick and one of your precious deadball pitchers on a guy who actively hurts you in all of your ratio categories and doesn't help much in SO just because he has a QUIZY letter is hurting you a lot also.
                            Hah, you are right, that was a "hey I should really start taking some of these difficult letters" pick.

Comment

Thanks! Very good info.

A few things I knew I did wrong:

1) Not valuing closers... basically at all - this comes from my regular roto fantasy experience
                              2) No basis for replacement levels. My valuations were off from the start and I knew it, because I did not know where to draw the line for replacement. This specifically hurt me in the ERA/WHIP areas.
                              3) General lack of prep/plan. Just winging it for a first run through since I didn't know what I was doing. Wasn't expecting to be very competitive (sounds like an excuse because, hell, it is!) In a typically roto league I use some custom built tools, but to create those tools I wanted to have a better understanding of the game first.

If I go at it again I'll be more prepared.
                              I'm not sure that undervaluing closers is hurting you. Unless you grab Rivera or Hoffman early, most teams cobble together saves throughout as there are so many sources of both CY and BY saves available at a variety of letters throughout the draft, especially now that there isn't a restriction on contemporary pitchers. It's good to have a general plan for saves but you can be pretty flexible. Your overall pitching approach was a bit erratic but I actually think you did a great job for your first vintage draft. It takes some time to get acclimated as your brain is used to thinking a certain way from typical roto leagues and this is a whole different thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X