*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    Yeah, I have given some to the ACLU and also to a local Houston group who works with immigrants.

Maybe I have to trust, as MLK said, that the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. I just hate that all my politicians in Texas, whether my US senators (Cornyn and Cruz) or my US rep (Crenshaw), or my governor (Abbott) or my state representatives--they are all such dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, and that's what my district/state wants, and they know that I'm never going to be able to vote them out. So they can be awful to immigrants and it gets them votes and they don't have a conscience about it.

And I don't know how to take effective direct action.

I don't think it helps for me to try to use Twitter/Facebook/etc to alienate all my conservative family and friends by crusading on there. There are times and places where I think that's helpful. I have a gay cousin who is out and another cousin who I think is gay but in the closet, and I've written some things on Facebook about my thoughts and feelings about treating gay people like valued people. I knew that might alienate some of my family but I thought they needed to hear it, and Facebook might not have been ideal for that, but I wasn't going to have a different platform to say that to most of them. But for issues where it is just going to turn into a political fight and I don't think anyone will listen, I don't think those platforms are great for persuading people to change their minds.
    it is frustrating to see so much wrong and feeling powerless to do anything. That is true for so much in politics these days.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
      My memes aren't bringing Johnny back.
      Do memes bring losers back ?
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        Do memes bring losers back ?
        I was going to say "limeys" but that might have been inaccurate and much more offensive
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I was going to say "limeys" but that might have been inaccurate and much more offensive
          Apparently i am aiming for just the right amount of offensiveness
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Apparently i am aiming for just the right amount of offensiveness
            Damningly mediocre--brutality lacking
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Damningly mediocre--brutality lacking
              I feel like such a failure
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Dauntless McCann bags laurels
                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Dauntless McCann bags laurels
                  I disagree
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I disagree
                    Disagreement may bring lashes!

Comment

Maybe I have to trust, as MLK said, that the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. I just hate that all my politicians in Texas, whether my US senators (Cornyn and Cruz) or my US rep (Crenshaw), or my governor (Abbott) or my state representatives--they are all such dyed-in-the-wool conservatives, and that's what my district/state wants, and they know that I'm never going to be able to vote them out. So they can be awful to immigrants and it gets them votes and they don't have a conscience about it.
                      Now that you are working remotely for the Braves, have you given any thought to going back to Austin. It would be a bit better at least.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• This place makes me constantly question how my politics align with some of these clowns. I mean, I still like Bernie Sanders but fuckin' goddamn my team has some unbelievably annoying cheerleaders.
                        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Disbelieving my Bernie love.
                          More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• I actively dislike Bernie and it has 100% to do with this place

Comment

• On a different note, I also dislike corn tortillas. I much prefer flour. Corn it's just too dry. I like corn chips, just not wraps for my tacos.

Comment

• Dry masa = burritos lame

Comment

Working...
                                X