No announcement yet.

*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we could pool franchises. You would either need to own a pool. or maybe you'd have to draft from each pool
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Or -- totally off the top of my head -- what about combining franchises and letters or decades somehow in a way that makes it more difficult for the top franchises and a bit easier for the ones that aren't as strong.

Comment

• I think a straight forward franchise draft is the better option at this point and next time consider major tweaks.

I'm still sticking with my call to replace HRs with Slugging %.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Maybe we could pool franchises. You would either need to own a pool. or maybe you'd have to draft from each pool
          Pooling is an interesting general idea.

Totally spitballing here:

Basics

We create (lot's of) pools of players / decades / franchises ... and assign each pool a value (points value). e.g. Strong pool 5 points, Weak Pool 1 point etc

Give each Drafter a set amount of points, and they have to build a set of pools they must draft from ... like building a deck in Hearthstone etc.

Each person can only draft from the pools they choose, and players are NOT exclusive. If everyone picks the pool with Wally J in it, probably everyone gets Wally J.

Maybe each persons initial pool set is confidential, though it will obviously become apparent as the draft proceeds?

Game Mechanics.

We draft in snake draft style

BUT

** Each round we randomly draw a position that must be filled by everyone. e.g. R1 Pitcher ... everyone must choose a pool and a pitcher from it.

Next round another position (e.g. R2 Catcher) will be randomly drawn.

BUT

You cannot pick from the same pool again, until all your other pools have been chosen. e.g. so lets say we have 7 pools per Drafter. Drafter A picks from Pool 1 with his first pick. He cannot pick from Pool 1 again until he has chosen a player from every other pool (all 7). Only then can he pick from Pool 1 again.

That sounds pretty decent.

Edit: actually sounds like it could be pretty awesome if we worked at it. Each cycle of pools, your choices would get more and restricted:

Round 1 (7 pools available)
          Round 2 (6 pools available)
          Round 3 (5 pools available)
          Round 4 (4 pools available)
          Round 5 (3 pools available)
          Round 6 (2 pools available)
          Round 7 (1 pools available)

Round 8 (7 pools available)
          Round 9 (6 pools available)
          Round 10 (5 pools available)
          Round 11 (4 pools available)
          Round 12 (3 pools available)
          Round 13 (2 pools available)
          Round 14 (1 pools available)

etc etc

... and you cant tell which position will be drawn in a given round, so that will get interesting as each cycle some around. e.g. Do I use the Wally J pool here - do I pick wally J here, and risk a Catcher/SS being called next, and having to pick a crappy pool with poor catchers and SS's?
          Last edited by johnnya24; 01-31-2019, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• Lol I couldn't even finish reading your proposal, sounds way too complicated.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Given the lengthy lull time this draft, is an auction that crazy to consider? Take turns nominating players, have a cap on number of active players at any one time. When you are out of bidding you just post an "i'm out comment" until only one bidder remains.

This way everyone has a chance at the top players and as all fantasy players know, auctions >>>> drafts.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Given the lengthy lull time this draft, is an auction that crazy to consider? Take turns nominating players, have a cap on number of active players at any one time. When you are out of bidding you just post an "i'm out comment" until only one bidder remains.

This way everyone has a chance at the top players and as all fantasy players know, auctions >>>> drafts.
                I would love to do an auction. The other idea is everyone gets one week to put together a team from whatever format we decide on and then we all submit for scoring. People would use some of the same guys, but wouldn't really matter.
                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Someone wake up Heyelander
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I don't know if an actual live-ish auction like that would work well but you could certainly do some kind of blind bidding like FAAB works in most leagues; maybe pick groups of five players at a time to make it a little more efficient on time (otherwise we're doing maybe 1-2 players a day) and have everyone submit bids for each player and use Vickrey to resolve them?

I also like Feral's solitaire format as a quick thing, especially if we did some complex rules (letters/decades/franchises all together?)
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Lol I couldn't even finish reading your proposal, sounds way too complicated.
                      Was making it up as I went along ... let me simply:

Groups:

We assign players to groups based on their value:

A. The Best players
                      B. Very good players
                      C. Good players
                      D. Average Players
                      E. Medicore players
                      F. Bad players
                      G. Awful players

Each of these above groupings have 5 sets of players.

A. Best Players Group:

Set 1. Wally J, Stan Musial etc etc (imagine 15 players in each set)
                      Set 2. Babe Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, etc etc
                      Set 3. Ty Cobb, Robin Yount etc etc
                      Set 4. Cy Young, Ted Williams etc etc
                      Set 5. Christy Mathewson, Roger Hornsby etc etc

D. Average Players Group:

Set 1. Tony Lazzeri etc etc (imagine 15 players in each set)
                      Set 2. Brian Downing etc etc
                      Set 3. Denny Mclain etc etc
                      Set 4. Vida Blue etc etc
                      Set 5. Noodles Hahn etc etc

Group Selection (pre-draft)

We pick 1 set from each group for simplicity. (Forget the deck building stuff I mentioned.)

So I choose:

A1
                      B3
                      C5
                      D2
                      E6
                      F2
                      G1

I can only draft players from these pools.

--------------------

Game Mechanic 1: Rounds

We do a normal draft: Round 1, 2, 3 etc. But each round we randomly draw a position that must be picked: Catcher, Pitcher, Shortstop etc.

Game Mechanic 2: Groups

All groups must be picked from before you can pick from a group again.

e.g. So if I pick Wally J from A1 in Round 1, I cannot pick again from A1 until all my other groups have been used.

This creates:

Game Mechanic 3: Cycles

Because of Mechanics 1 & 2, the draft will run in cycles. If there are 7 groups, every 7 rounds will be an effective cycle.

As we proceed from Rounds 1 through 7, the amount of groups I can choose from reduces (because of Mechanic 2). When we get to Round 8, all my options return. The cycle starts again.

-------------------

Think of the options, strategies etc

... knows no-one will go for it *sadface*

Comment

• anyone have quick pastes of rnds 15 and 16?

oh, and the history thread is missing CJ's Rnd 13 pick.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Code:
                          [B]Round 15[/B]

p8
                          bunniji01
                          h9
                          odoulle01
                          p4
                          leonadu01
                          p6
                          nenro01
                          p6
                          bluevi01
                          h9
                          jacksjo01
                          h9
                          stoveha01
                          p4
                          rodnefe01
                          h8
                          thompsa01
                          h9
                          sheckji01
                          h8
                          fiskca01
                          h10
                          murraed02
                          p5
                          mclaide01
                          Code:
                          [B]ROUND 16 (so far ... from Revo Down)[/B]

h9
                          downibr01
                          p7
                          gagneer01
                          h9
                          connoro01
                          p6
                          roberro01
                          p6
                          chandsp01

Comment

• History thread is updated.

We're still missing a year from El Bene Futuis for Hughie Jennings.

I messed up my pick numbering in Round 16 and Feral and revo followed suit.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                              History thread is updated.

We're still missing a year from El Bene Futuis for Hughie Jennings.

I messed up my pick numbering in Round 16 and Feral and revo followed suit.
                              I thought i could trust u
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                Shane Halter!!!!
                                Man, I would have sworn Shane Halter was on that Wilmington Blue Rocks (A+) team I worked for... would have sworn I drank with him... but he was there the year before. I did see Damon though... I have a team ball he signed twice (they must have been passing them around the room and this one went to him twice by mistake.)

That team was stacked, BA named them the team of the year, but not too many people had careers. We would have sworn Andy Stewert, Larry Sutton, Jim Pittsley, Kris Ralston and Bart Evans were going to be great. Baseball is tough.

Man, Ralston died in 2015 at age 43... I can't find what he died of.
                                Last edited by heyelander; 01-31-2019, 03:46 PM.
                                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Working...
                                X